Quick visa run to Laos return same day - possible?

Hi all

I've done some reading/Googling on TVF and I think what I want to do is OK, but just thought I'd check with the resident experts

(Sorry if this has already been covered in other posts, but I couldn't find a succinct definition of the process)

• My 1-year Non-O (based on marriage) extension runs out 2nd Feb (UK passport)
  • I am planning to return with my family to the UK at end of March/very early April so I'm not going to bother doing another year extension based on marriage
  • I propose to exit Thailand at Nakhon Phanom Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge on 1st Feb & get stamped out of Thailand
  • Get Visa on Arrival for Laos at Thakhek (1,500 Baht) & get stamped in to Laos
  • 1 minute later, turn around, leave Laos and re-enter Thailand on a 30-day visa-exempt/waiver entry (I haven't used the Thai visa exempt entry in the last 10 years or so)
  • After 30 days, extend the visa-exempt entry for another 30 days at my local Immigration (Sakhon Nakhon) for 1,900 baht
Is the above doable, or am I missing something & are there any snafus that will bite me?

Are there better ways of doing what I'm proposing & if so, what would the process be?

Many thanks,

GM.

• Like 1

Another option would be to get a 60 day extension to vist your wife just before your current extension ends. No need for financial proof. The only restriction would be if you have gotten a 60 day extension before for the entry you have extended.

You could do the border hop for a 30 day entry without a problem.

Thanks Ubon Joe - we tried that today, but they said we'd already done that on some previous entry. They were talking in Thai to my wife and seemed pretty categorical, however I wish I'd pressed them on it now (I may go back to the office and ask for clarification)

You said: The only restriction would be if you have gotten a 60 day extension before for the entry you have extended.

How do they determine that & what does it mean in practice? I've had a Non-O going back (extended back-to-back) for years & as far as I recollect, I haven't done a 60-day extension - certainly not in the last few years.

EDIT - removed question about my OP, you've already answered it

Edited by GlutinousMaximus

The entry form the non-o you got long ago would be the one they would be talking about. It does seem restrictive but the rule is written that way to prevent people from getting back to back 60 day extensions on the same entry.

You could get the 60 day extension for the 30 day entry you would get from a border hop.

Many thanks for your replies ubonjoe - much appreciated.

They did also mention getting a 60-day extension on the 30 day border hop entry and that should be plenty (i.e. to take me up to end of April). If my plans change and I end up staying in Thailand (I have some UK Visa issues I'm currently dealing with) then I will look to getting another 1 year extension based on marriage.

LTD Nationalities allowed back into Thailand from Thakhek, be aware.

I don't have the list and know India is one of the few countries but check if your nationality is excempted.

Edited by hgma

LTD Nationalities allowed back into Thailand from Thakhek, be aware.

I don't have the list and know India is one of the few countries but check if your nationality is excempted.

He is from the UK "(UK passport)" as written in the OP. He would get a 30 day visa exempt entry.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to feedback on the topic I started

• Went to Thai Friendship Bridge 3 in Nakhon Phanom at the end of January
  • Thai Immigration stamped me out of Thailand (lucky I brought my expired passport along with me as they wanted to see it)
  • Applied at the Laos visa on arrival booth with payment of 1,500 in Thai baht (had to fill in a form for it plus an entry/departure card, but they hardly seemed bothered what I wrote)
  • Laos Immigration stamped me into Laos
  • Hopped on a bus going over the bridge
  • Spent a pleasant day in Laos visiting caves and so on (hired a van plus driver who was touting for business at the bridge on the Laos side)
  • Went back over the TFB3 bridge around 5pm and was stamped out of Laos
  • They stamped me back into Thailand on the other side for 30 days on a visa-exempt entry - no charge

So all in all, pretty straightforward.

Thanks all for the input/advice.

Edited by GlutinousMaximus

• 1 year later...
6 minutes ago, That Phanom said:

Hi Guys, is it possible to do the same trip but only get stamped out of Thailand and do not enter Laos just return on the same bus .??

I am also on a British passport needing the 30 day stamp on arrival back in Thailand.

You have to enter Laos before returning.

Thai immigration will not let you enter without having the Lao entry/departure stamps in your passport.