What is a good VOIP system for making business calls to America?

tonray

I work from home for an American company and my job description just changed, starting in a couple weeks I will have to start making calls to clients over the phone.

I'm wondering what the best Softphones/VOIP are so I can have clear, quality calls to our customers in America. Does anyone have any experience with this? My boss and I spoke about it and if we can't find one with a clear enough connection I'll have to move back to the states which I don't want to do yet.

I'll be moving into a new condo next week and will have 3bb internet, 10M Download/1.5M Upload, will this be sufficient enough for 3-5 hours of talk time a day on a VOIP system?

We're also hoping we can have a system that will show the business name on caller ID but that isn't a big deal if it's not possible, the most important thing is that I can hear the clients clearly and vice versa.

Thank you for the help!

I have both a skype international number and Zoom.

I use Zoom mostly. It's 10 bucks a month. I'm on it to China daily.

The skype number you have to buy, then you buy the subscription. about 30 bucks.

I have looked at Jive for a softphone. I think it's going to be incorporated into my website.

http://zoom.us/

http://jive.com/

While you're at it, get a VPN. This one has all the right formats to get you past the firewall to China. https://www.expressvpn.com/

I have both a skype international number and Zoom.

I use Zoom mostly. It's 10 bucks a month. I'm on it to China daily.

The skype number you have to buy, then you buy the subscription. about 30 bucks.

I have looked at Jive for a softphone. I think it's going to be incorporated into my website.

http://zoom.us/

http://jive.com/

While you're at it, get a VPN. This one has all the right formats to get you past the firewall to China. https://www.expressvpn.com/

I have a VPN just because but I rarely use it, there's no need for it for my work. As far as Zoom and Jive go, how well are the connections? Are you on the phone for hours a day and have no problems?

What I've mostly been reading about making calls from your computer to US is that the client has a hard time hearing you, have you come across this issue?

As the most 'transparent' I'd go with Skype. A SkypeIn number makes it as good as it gets.

Now I use them all, Skype, LINE, Whatsapp and Google Hangouts.

They all have plus & minuses, but if you want a 'real' phone I would always go with Skype

As the most 'transparent' I'd go with Skype. A SkypeIn number makes it as good as it gets.

They all have plus & minuses, but if you want a 'real' phone I would always go with Skype

I'm asking about a softphone to download to my computer so I can use my headset to call clients, I'm not asking about phone apps. I already have those and they will do no good for the business I am working for.

I'm asking about a softphone to download to my computer so I can use my headset to call clients, I'm not asking about phone apps. I already have those and they will do no good for the business I am working for.

you have already been given answers but refuse to listen......skype

I have read each answer, skype is also not a VOIP system. It is not sufficient enough to for talk times of 3-5 hours a day to the US. I have used skype to call family and friends and that is not good enough sometimes.

If you purchase some "Skype Credit" or a "Skype Subscription" you can then dial phone numbers, not just call other Skype users. The phone dialler or softphone is within the Skype program when you click on "Call Phones" which you can now do because you have purchased credit or a package. You just dial the number with the cursor.

They have a free trial so you can try it first.

http://www.skype.com/en/offers/unlimited-world-calling/

If you purchase some "Skype Credit" or a "Skype Subscription" you can then dial phone numbers, not just call other Skype users. The phone dialler or softphone is within the Skype program when you click on "Call Phones" which you can now do because you have purchased credit or a package. You just dial the number with the cursor.

I appreciate your answer but skype is not catered towards businesses. I'm looking for a VOIP system that I can also purchase a softphone along with it, you cannot choose your own phone number when using skype and we need to use a 1-800 number with our business name that comes up on the caller ID. Nor is skype sufficient enough to handle 3-5 hours of talk time a day to the United States, I've called friends and family's US phone numbers using skype before and the call quality was no good.

I appreciate your answer but skype is not catered towards businesses. I'm looking for a VOIP system that I can also purchase a softphone along with it, you cannot choose your own phone number when using skype and we need to use a 1-800 number with our business name that comes up on the caller ID. Nor is skype sufficient enough to handle 3-5 hours of talk time a day to the United States, I've called friends and family's US phone numbers using skype before and the call quality was no good.

Ok. I agree the majority of skype users are not using it for business.

That said, Skype does offer Skype In / out numbers and you get to chose out of a list of numbers from your own country. You are correct, you can't pick your own number, so I doubt you could pick a 1800 number. Skype does offer Caller ID.

Their Fair Use Policy for a subscription says one single call can only be 4 hours long, then you get cut off, but you can ring straight back again. The is no limit on the amount of calls you can make.

The only problems I have had with Skype can be blamed on the internet I was on in various hotels. Other than that, with reasonable internet, I've never had a problem. I tested this once because I was having trouble with a Skype call in my hotel, so I took my laptop across the road to a cafe and the call was fine. Same call, 2 minutes later, no problem.

I have done speed tests on the internet and you don't need very fast internet for good quality Skype calls, but it must be stable.

I would also be interested in any alternatives to Skype on this thread.

Edited by KhunHeineken

I have been using Magic Jack for 5 years +. If you have internet you plug it in and you're good to go. You get a US number so whoever you are talking to doesn't know if you are in the US, or Thailand. They also have a smart phone app, but I haven't found that its as clear as using via the computer.

It works!

Skype: I'm on my skype number to the US and Panama often. Never a problem for me. Can't advise on the 800 part.

Zoom: Your client need to have Zoom installed to be able to use it, but it's free for them. If you have existing relationships, this could be good. If you smiling and dialing, it won't work. Call quality is great to China.

With Jive, you get a number and can call anywhere, as far as I know. There is a free soft-phone you can download. Jive gives a free seminar to acquaint you to the product. Not sure about 800 number. No actual experience with the product yet.

Another vote for MagicJack

And no matter what service the OP decides to use he is going to be dependent upon the speed and quality of his Internet connection, (that is why it is called Voice Over Internet Protocol ) no way around it, other than purchasing a International toll free number from one of the major carriers, which would be very expensive

I use Skype World call. From my computer using 3bb Fiber 30/3 perfect calls to both UK landlines and also Chinese mobile phones. You can use the normal Skype interface, store the number with customer details etc. Use with a headset or with a VoIP Skype phone.. The Skype number. No idea.. I might get one another time

I use Skype World call. From my computer using 3bb Fiber 30/3 perfect calls to both UK landlines and also Chinese mobile phones. You can use the normal Skype interface, store the number with customer details etc. Use with a headset or with a VoIP Skype phone.. The Skype number. No idea.. I might get one another time

The system you use is the exact same system I use. Never had a problem.

A Skype number is a regular landline phone number from your home country, and you can chose from a list. You can give this number out to friends, family, and customers. They can ring this number and it's the cost of a local call for them, but Skype route the call to your Skype account and you can take the call anywhere in the world. The caller doesn't even know you are out of the country, and isn't paying anymore than the cost of a local call.

It's a portable local landline number.

A Skype number is a regular landline phone number from your home country, and you can chose from a list. You can give this number out to friends, family, and customers. They can ring this number and it's the cost of a local call for them, but Skype route the call to your Skype account and you can take the call anywhere in the world. The caller doesn't even know you are out of the country, and isn't paying anymore than the cost of a local call.

ohhh OK. Interesting. Thanks

• 1 month later...

Well,it is not exactly regular landline number.It depends what country you are talking about.In Japan it is 050number,not regular and not very useful. Edited by borovik

I have read each answer, skype is also not a VOIP system. It is not sufficient enough to for talk times of 3-5 hours a day to the US. I have used skype to call family and friends and that is not good enough sometimes.

Of course Skype uses VoIP, what do you think it is?

Edited by eaglesflight