Bringing Money Into Thailand

Can anyone tell me how much money in cash one is allowed to bring to Thailand??? There is a limit, which is announced on the plane before landing, but I can´t remember it. If I have a higher sum and declare it, do I have to explain its whereabouts, if I leave with considerably less???

From the Thai Customs web site:

http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/Trave...?menuNme=Travel

Inbound Passengers: Inbound passengers are allowed to bring in unlimited amount of foreign and Thai currencies.

Outbound passengers: Unlimited amount of foreign currencies are permitted to carry out of Thailand. However, the amount of Baht 50,000 or more in Thai currency must be reported on departure, except those traveling to Lao PDR., Myanmar, Cambodia, Malaysia, and Vietnam are allowed to take out Thai currency not exceeding 500,000 Baht.

Pretty sure you can import and export as much foreign currency as you like. You can also import as much baht as you like but cannot take more than 50,000 baht out, 500k to a neighbouring country.

/ Don't you just love it when someone nips in there.

Edited by jackr

Inbound Passengers: Inbound passengers are allowed to bring in unlimited amount of foreign and Thai currencies.

Outbound passengers: Unlimited amount of foreign currencies are permitted to carry out of Thailand. However, the amount of Baht 50,000 or more in Thai currency must be reported on departure, except those traveling to Lao PDR., Myanmar, Cambodia, Malaysia, and Vietnam are allowed to take out Thai currency not exceeding 500,000 Baht.

There's something I don't trust in this information on the Custom's website. I have heard people harrassed a few times for carrying as much as US$20,000 (about 750,000 baht @ current exchange rate). So, this rule seems very vague. Can someone ask the customs and verify this? :o

There's something I don't trust in this information on the Custom's website. I have heard people harrassed a few times for carrying as much as US$20,000 (about 750,000 baht @ current exchange rate). So, this rule seems very vague. Can someone ask the customs and verify this? :o

One can bring in unlimited foreign currencies, but to be able to take it out again, any amount exceeding $US10,000 or the equivalent must be declared to Customs on arrival.

One can bring in unlimited foreign currencies, but to be able to take it out again, any amount exceeding $US10,000 or the equivalent must be declared to Customs on arrival.

See, that's what I mean. They have conveniently forgotten to mention this in their website. :o

See, that's what I mean. They have conveniently forgotten to mention this in their website. :o

How come, How com, How come ?

Lucky that there is now a new goverment.

That will solve these kinds of problems.

:D

If my memory is right (and I could be wrong) the OLD customs forms used to have a place for you to check and declare on arrival if you had more than $10,000 in any currency. That seems to have been taken off the customs form the last time the form was "simplified". The law on declaring cash coming in over $10,000 equivaent is probably still on the books.

Somehow, I can't imagine me walking up to a Thai customs agent when arriiving at the airport and asking him how I could declare bringing more than $10,000 dollars in currency into the country.

In fact, the likelyhood that I would even be carrying more than $10,000 dollars in currency into Thailand is pretty remote anyhow.

:D

The web site is written from a Thai point of view, not for the visitor

If in doubt, ask at the customs desk.

The old rule was that you had to declare over US$10,000, otherwise you could have

trouble if you want to re-export the cash.

Why risk carrying so much cash in this day of cards and ATMs??

Unless you are drug smuggler? :o

Rule number 1 :

A foreigner is invited to carry as much as money he/she can when entering in the Kingdom of Thailand.

Rule number 2:

A foreigner is invited to carry no money, or close to be no money, when living the Kingdom of Thailand.

Rule number 3:

Any foreigner guilty to breach the rule number 2 will be moved throught thailand to visit temple (case of familly) or red light spots (case of single middle aged anglo saxons white male) and by so spend his/her money untill the customs officers decide the foreigner became a threat for the thai culture and by so decide he/she have to leave the kingdom as soon as possible.

Rule number 4 :

That is a joke, it's saturday and I just hope to make some of you smile.

Rule number 1 :

A foreigner is invited to carry as much as money he/she can when entering in the Kingdom of Thailand.

Rule number 2:

A foreigner is invited to carry no money, or close to be no money, when living the Kingdom of Thailand.

Rule number 3:

Any foreigner guilty to breach the rule number 2 will be moved throught thailand to visit temple (case of familly) or red light spots (case of single middle aged anglo saxons white male) and by so spend his/her money untill the customs officers decide the foreigner became a threat for the thai culture and by so decide he/she have to leave the kingdom as soon as possible.

Rule number 4 :

:o:D:D

I´ve searched the internet a bit and can now answer the question myself. According to an exisiting EU directive (I found it 2 days ago but forgot to note it unfortunately.....I´ll look for it again and post it here) any individual leaving the EU - on a plane to Thailand, for example - is required to automatically declare any sum exceeding 15.000 Euros to customs - and as of 15.06.2007 the sum will be reduced to 10.000 Euros.

The web site is written from a Thai point of view, not for the visitor

If in doubt, ask at the customs desk.

The old rule was that you had to declare over US$10,000, otherwise you could have

trouble if you want to re-export the cash.

Why risk carrying so much cash in this day of cards and ATMs??

Unless you are drug smuggler? :o

Thats a particulaly harsh assumption!

I occasionally bring in large sums to purchase product when settling up a factory in time for shipping etc. When taking into account the rate and other charges, cash saves me between 0.1% to 0.8% over TT. That adds up on a $10K shipment!

Got it now - EU-Directive 1889/2005 from 26.10.2005. As of 15.06.2007 you MUST declare any sum exceeding 10.000 Euro (the same applies currently for 15.000 Euro) when leaving the EU otherwise - should you be checked by EU customs - charges will be brought against you on the suspicion of money laundering.......... :o

Rule number 1 :

Rule number 2:

Rule number 3:

Rule number 4 :

All your posts do that, stingy, all of them... :o

I occasionally bring in large sums to purchase product when settling up a factory in time for shipping etc. When taking into account the rate and other charges, cash saves me between 0.1% to 0.8% over TT. That adds up on a $10K shipment!

Are you sure your calculations are correct?

For an amount of USD 10,000 (or more), you would normally be better off transferring your money rather than carry it in cash. For the cash to be a better option for you, either your bank is charging excessive fees (compared to most other banks), or you are getting a (much) better rate for your USD cash than given by the normal high street banks here.

And the only way you can save 0.8% on cash compared to transfers is if your bank is charging excessive fees for the transfers. Even if you receive interbank rates without spread for your cash (and I can see no reason why anyone would gve you that rate), your bank charges would have to be about 60 USD for you to earn 0.8% on an amount of USD 10,000.

I am aware that some places give better rates than the banks, but usually the difference isn't that big. So, unless you have somewhere buy the cash off you for a rate close to or better than the banks TT-rate, I would recommend that you reconsider the transfer option (possible using another bank).

And if you have found somewhere giving a superior rate, I'm sure many people here would appreciate knowing the location :o

Sophon

All your posts do that, stingy, all of them... :o

At least a person of quality who can make the difference btw humor (even if weird humor) and insult .

I mostly post as a satyrical newspaper do in France (le canard enchaine, I do assume Francois can explain what it is).

All your posts do that, stingy, all of them... :D

At least a person of quality who can make the difference btw humor (even if weird humor) and insult .

I mostly post as a satyrical newspaper do in France (le canard enchaine, I do assume Francois can explain what it is).

:o

Ducking the issue is not the way, mon ami... :D

All your posts do that, stingy, all of them... :D

:o

Ducking the issue is not the way, mon ami... :D

Did I, or did I simply tried to describe with a fable a reality that can not be told? Like Jean de La fontaine (funny story indeed, but also it was the reality at that time).

I will be more precise, in World Trde center you will find Western union. Enter , take a drink (tea or water) and read carefully the requirement to send money outside thailand if you are not a thai person. You will be amazed I suppose (I was). I do agree it's a bit OT, but it'sstill moving money outside , against moving money in ...