Bangkok has only one 5***** hotel

Thian

I would rate the top 10 hotels in Bangkok as follows :

(This is my list, so you have the right to disagree, but I have stayed in all of these residences and there is a clear winner)

Location, size of room, atmosphere, facilities, proximity to the sky train, restaurants and pool areas.

1) The Eastin Sukosol

2) The Mandarin Oriental

3) The Shangri - La

4) The Sheraton Royal Orchid (Riverside)

5) The Peninsular

6) The Pullman

7) The Westin

9) The Sukosol

10) The Anantara (Formerly Marriott)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

(This is my list, so you have the right to disagree, but I have stayed in all of these residences and there is a clear winner)

Location, size of room, atmosphere, facilities, proximity to the sky train, restaurants and pool areas.

1) The Eastin Sukosol

2) The Mandarin Oriental

3) The Shangri - La

5) The Peninsular

6) The Pullman

7) The Westin

9) The Sukosol

I can't help noticing that #8 is missing from your top 10. So, this is the top 9 then, is it?

The Mandarin was not the best of the riverside hotels I stayed in when I used to come here on business. Standard rooms very small and the views of the river were slightly sideways and not particularly great. The ambience was modern business with no particular Asian style to it. Sure if you are the type that likes all the stupid and way OTT bowing and scraping (including inside lifts) its going to be just your cup of tea - I found it slightly offensive and otherwise I couldn't see what all the fuss was about.

Opted for the Shangri-La or The Peninsula thereafter, having stayed in the Oriental just one time. Peninsula in particualr had fabulous views that you could gawp at from your huge comfortable bed through large floor to ceiling windows. Both those two were better and about half the cost from memory. I don't want to be in the company of the type of people that are attracted to the likes of the Oriental.

T'was 8 years plus ago mind - no doubt all changed now.

Raffles in Singapore - now you're talking proper 5*. Genuine Asian history and the customer respect stuff was lightly and correctly done.

After staying in numerous hotels in Bangkok,

i wish i had the job of nailing or removing stars

from hotels, read some of the reviews on hotel

search sites, some 4 and 3 star hotels get so

rubbished they should have no stars, just meteors.

1) The Eastin Sukosol

2) The Mandarin Oriental

3) The Shangri - La

5) The Peninsular

6) The Pullman

7) The Westin

9) The Sukosol

Yes but you missed out the Sofitel Sukhumvit

Last year during check-in at one of the best hotels in Pataya, the lady at the reception desk asked my GF if she planned to stay all night. We were regular guests there for the past 17 years. For me, they lost all their stars that same day.

If you are with your Thai wife/GF and you ask member of Staff in ANY 5 star hotel in Thailand expect them to answer the question to your wife and also expect to be ignored.

They do that ANYWHERE in Thailand, even if they can speak english. My wife always walks away when i want to ask something so they have no other choice then speaking to me. Sometimes i interrupt them while speaking to my wife while showing my wallet and telling them: " i have the money nungkrab, you should speak to me" but even that doesn't help. For me that's very impolite and i don't give a butt what they think about me after doing so.

only one opinion counts when checking out a hotel and thats MINE

Unfortunately they probably won't change the price for you if you disagree with their rating!

It doesnt matter as Ill only book 1 night at a time and if its crap move on....to be honest I dont use hotels much in Thailand

Last year during check-in at one of the best hotels in Pataya, the lady at the reception desk asked my GF if she planned to stay all night. We were regular guests there for the past 17 years. For me, they lost all their stars that same day.

"absolute quality"clap2.gif

Tv should set up an award for the most "amazing" Thai experiences

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit is 5 star. JW Marriott used to be. Gone down hill in the past few years. I'm sure plenty others listed above are. Forbes does not know squat!

Stayed at both and they let whores in, 5 star does not IMO.

Sure they do... 5-star ones....

If you are with your Thai wife/GF and you ask member of Staff in ANY 5 star hotel in Thailand expect them to answer the question to your wife and also expect to be ignored.

They do that ANYWHERE in Thailand, even if they can speak english. My wife always walks away when i want to ask something so they have no other choice then speaking to me. Sometimes i interrupt them while speaking to my wife while showing my wallet and telling them: " i have the money nungkrab, you should speak to me" but even that doesn't help. For me that's very impolite and i don't give a butt what they think about me after doing so.

You're quite right. I can accept in everyday places, But in the so called high-end places it would be nice for it not to happen. It never accrued to me until a friend mentioned it to me. He was spending 20,000 Baht on the meal after-all.

1) The Eastin Sukosol

2) The Mandarin Oriental

3) The Shangri - La

5) The Peninsular

6) The Pullman

7) The Westin

9) The Sukosol

The Eastin Pratunam wouldn't even lift my fathers luggage into the taxi. It was a skinny girl there who even couldn't lift it if she wanted to try.

The Pullman is nice but the personell can't speak english. Speaking english is the biggest problem for all hotels though.

Sheraton Royal orchid don't know how to make coffee even when they have a "real" barista on the terrace. Also they don't give a dime if a guest damages her car on their steap driveway into the garage.

I don't know the other hotels but i guess it's all the same. No english, no trained personell.

For me a 5* hotel needs to have well trained personell who of course can speak good english.

Try England.

1) The Eastin Sukosol

2) The Mandarin Oriental

3) The Shangri - La

5) The Peninsular

6) The Pullman

7) The Westin

9) The Sukosol

The Eastin Pratunam wouldn't even lift my fathers luggage into the taxi. It was a skinny girl there who even couldn't lift it if she wanted to try.

The Pullman is nice but the personell can't speak english. Speaking english is the biggest problem for all hotels though.

Sheraton Royal orchid don't know how to make coffee even when they have a "real" barista on the terrace. Also they don't give a dime if a guest damages her car on their steap driveway into the garage.

I don't know the other hotels but i guess it's all the same. No english, no trained personell.

For me a 5* hotel needs to have well trained personell who of course can speak good english.

Try England.

In England i expect them to speak at least one foreign language.

I like the following hotels in Bangkok in no order of preference

Siam Kempenski

Sheraton Grande

Peninsula

St Regis

Anatara (Former 4 Seasons)

Sukhotai

They all carry a certain charm and relaxes me on different notes with their design and styles

We all know the best hotels rated are based on experiences ....to keep harping on spoken English is ridiculous

Have a stay at the Hyatt in China or Kyoto ....they speak enough English to get by but I didn't go there to grade them on their English .....the views from the Exec lounge in Shanghai Hyatt and also the design in Hyatt Kyoto ....the word is exquisite and you are in a world of your own

Edited by LawrenceChee

Landmark hotel bkk 5stars or not I just need a clean room good bed and hard working great staff and always welcoming that's why I return for me and the lady's always service with a smile and. A fully stocked mini fridge just back from the sir Stamford hotel in oz not as good as landmark bkk that's my opinion not Forbes or anyone else's and the nana lovely