Man arrested for sharing video mocking Prayut

webfact

Man Arrested for Sharing Video Mocking Prayuth
By Pravit Rojanaphruk
Senior Staff Writer

14540403241454040391l.jpg
Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha at the Armed Forces Academies Preparatory School on Wednesday in Nakhon Nayok province.

BANGKOK — The arrest of a man last night for sharing a music video allegedly mocking and defaming junta leader Prayuth Chan-ocha is evidence of an attempt to make him “untouchable” by satire or criticism, a human rights observer said.

Narong Ruengthanawong, 39, was arrested for sharing “For Our Beloved Uncle,” a video which allegedly mocked and defamed Prayuth on Line, and now the former Bang Kaen District council and Pheu Thai Party member is charged with violating the Computer Crime Act. Announcing his arrest at 8pm on Thursday night at Bangkok’s Chokchai Police Station, policy said they were also seeking the song’s creator and whoever spread it online.

“There’s a systematic attempt to shield Prayuth and other junta leaders from public criticism,” Sunai Phasuk, a senior researcher at Human Rights Watch, said Friday morning.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1454040324

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-01-29

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What a delicate, easily bruised and offended flower he is. One would think that as a former soldier he would've grown a thicker skin. But no.

I think the thick skin is there , unfortunately it has built up almost exclusively between the ears.

Myanmar is relaxing the restrictions on what artists can sing about, I guess in order to restore the balance in the region Thailand needs to adopt the good old ways of the western neighbour. I'm sure the local Somchai will appreciate their future as low paid construction workers in the new Burma.

What a delicate, easily bruised and offended flower he is. One would think that as a former soldier he would've grown a thicker skin. But no.

A thicker skin on your botty from doing your soldiering behind a desk.

Just wondering if any of the usual brigade will have the chutzpah to come on here and tell us that this would happen in any other country...

Seriously, guys: what is there to mock!

The MP is a great man, inspiring songwriter and poet, who returned happiness to 99,3% of the Thai-people!

I don't understand all the negativity!

Yours sincerely

EnglihCostasJamie

it might be time for thaivisa to upgrade to SHTTP. could be helpful for members posting inside Thailand without VPN.

Won't help. If a post is targeted by the authorities, they will require logs to be provided by the TV hoster and therefore they will have the IP address of the poster. Then the relevant Thai ISP will happily provide the name and address of the customer using this IP address at that point in time.

It's my understanding that TV isn't hosted in Thailand, so the logs can't be obtained by subpoena, however if the authorities give them a choice: either give us the requested log or get blacklisted, guess what will happen?

The poor guy is just a Photojournalist.

The loons are just protecting His children. These are all His children, as far as the eye can see.

Hit 'em with the siren man! It freaks them out!

Edited by jaywalker

it might be time for thaivisa to upgrade to SHTTP. could be helpful for members posting inside Thailand without VPN.

Won't help. If a post is targeted by the authorities, they will require logs to be provided by the TV hoster and therefore they will have the IP address of the poster. Then the relevant Thai ISP will happily provide the name and address of the customer using this IP address at that point in time.

It's my understanding that TV isn't hosted in Thailand, so the logs can't be obtained by subpoena, however if the authorities give them a choice: either give us the requested log or get blacklisted, guess what will happen?

good point. so VPN it is. or just use a WiFi connection not associated with you. and not using your cellphone data connection.

however, interception of your data packets sent in the clear between your computer and forum servers allow the government to located you without have to ask for anything and then they go directly to the Thai provider. not as easy from a tech point of view... but if they were looking for Thais and not just farangs they might make the effort. correct me if i am wrong, because i love conversations like this. smile.png

let say i post "my cat has brown eyes" and they don't like that. the NEXT time i post something they don't like on the same forum, all they have to do is search every packet originating from within Thailand just before the time stamp of the new text. impossible to store that much data? need a central point to do it? they are working on it. Paranoid? that why i like Thailand. smile.png Fun to watch them catch up.

Edited by NCC1701A

Well, the courts did warn us. You can't show videos of the mentally ill.

rkidlad: If you hear someone knocking on your door at 2 am tonight, you will know who it is. smile.png

back in my (naughty) west african days such an event was known as "c'est l'amour qui frappe" ...

giggle.gif

So shearing a satirical song regarding a PM is now a crime? And just what is the name of said crime??? as there is another law that is a safeguard for certain people, but now this bloke and his mates have elevated themselves to such a level so as to now enjoy similar protection as well as the addition of the computer crimes act just for good measure.

If they had any credibility if there really is such a law on the books for the protection of the PM(or just this one) then it would be removed immediately.

And the few that sing the praises of this government are surprisingly absent, Ok ok , not surprisingly absent. where are ya fella's???whistling.gif defend this if ya can, would be entertaining watching some people try to un-ring a bell...

The loons are just protecting His children. These are all His children, as far as the eye can see.

i swear to god, i feel just like Dennis Hopper in Apocalypse Now when my friends from the USA come to visit. They are like <deleted> is going on here? But they are always very sad to go back home.

The next time they show up, I am going to tie a big palm leaf on my head like the character "Chef" :)

good point. so VPN it is. or just use a WiFi connection not associated with you. and not using your cellphone data connection.

however, interception of your data packets sent in the clear between your computer and forum servers allow the government to located you without have to ask for anything and then they go directly to the Thai provider. not as easy from a tech point of view... but if they were looking for Thais and not just farangs they might make the effort. correct me if i am wrong, because i love conversations like this. smile.png

let say i post "my cat has brown eyes" and they don't like that. the NEXT time i post something they don't like on the same forum, all they have to do is search every packet originating from within Thailand just before the time stamp of the new text. impossible to store that much data? need a central point to do it? they are working on it. Paranoid? that why i like Thailand. smile.png Fun to watch them catch up.

All this aside, seriously? Can you possibly imagine some whitie making the news having been picked up for a post on an expat forum? Really? Tidal floodgates opened. Won't be a precious 'foreign investor' not to mention 'foreign tourist' left. The saying 'there's no such thing as bad publicity' would most certainly NOT apply under that scenario. Get a grip.

While I love to laugh, a junta is sometimes what is needed.

Augusto Pinochet was very much hated and reviled, but his free market reforms turned Chile into a 1st world country.

Lee Kuan Yew is another example of this w/ Singapore.

Whether General P is the man to do this or not remains to be seen.

So far I think he's hilarious at best.

i swear to god, i feel just like Dennis Hopper in Apocalypse Now when my friends from the USA come to visit. They are like <deleted> is going on here? But they are always very sad to go back home.

The next time they show up, I am going to tie a big palm leaf on my head like the character "Chef" smile.png

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

It truly is difficult to ease newbie Gringos into Thailand is it not?

LOVE the palm leaf idea! clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Edited by jaywalker

So no chance of a Thai style "Spitting image" then.

For a few years after coming to Thailand just before the millennium I do remember seeing a show on Thai TV exactly like that.

Here's an American spoof about Bush that would send the junta into orbit.