METV / Retirement visa advice

Up until last year I had been married for 22 years to a Thai and living together in the UK. I am now divorced and last September met someone else,I went back to Thailand to be with her in January and have flights booked to be with her in April and again in July.

At the beginning of October I would like to move to Thailand and live their permanantly. I will be 50 in March 2017 and would like to apply for the Retirement visa.

On my last trip to Thailand after visiting many different banks I managed to open a savings account with the Bangkok Bank. The person incharge of opening accounts allowed me to open an account at her discretion because I had previously had an account with them and they found my passport details on their system.

I have 1,000,000 baht in this account and have savings in my UK account. I plan on keeping and renting out my house in the UK. I can take unpaid leave for up to 12 months and my employer would write a letter confirming my employment and expected return date. However once I am issued with the Retirement visa I would hand my notice in.

I have several questions regarding how to go about making the move and they are as follows.Thank you for any replies as I am sure these things are often asked.

Can I apply for the retirement visa while in Thailand on the METV ? If so when is the soonest I can apply for it. I am 50 mid March next year.

I understand that with this METV I would have to leave Thailand for 48 hours before returning. I will be living in Pattaya so what would my best option be for doing this ?

The application form asks to provide a hotel reservation confirmation however I plan on renting a condo and living there with my girlfriend. Can I put this on the application form or would it be better to book a hotel for a few days so that I can submit the confirmation ?

The application form also asks how long do I intend on staying in Thailand. Sould I put 60 days as this is the maximum allowed on each entry ?

There is no "retirement" visa but you could apply (once you are 50) for an O/A (long stay visa) which you can obtain from the Thai Embassy in London.

Used wisely the visa will provide for a two year stay in Thailand and only then would it be necessary to apply for an "extension of stay" based on retirement.

Edited by sunnyjim5
  • Like 1

I was under the impression that I could convert the tourist visa once in Thailand and met all the conditions of the O/A visa.It is certainly possible to "convert" a visa exempt or tourist visa to a.

It is possible to convert a visa exempt or tourist visa entry to an "O" visa entry which would provide a 90 day stay. During the last 30 days of that stay you could apply for an "extension of stay" (It is not a visa) based on retirement.

Edited by sunnyjim5

As long as you have at least 15 days remaining on your entry on the date you turn 50 you could apply for a change of visa status to get a 90 day non immigrant visa entry at immigration. You would just need to show proof of at least 800k baht in the bank. Then during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry you could apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement (it is not a visa).

You do not have to be out of the country for 48 hours to use an entry form the METV. You can cross a border, turnaround and come right back.

You can put 60 days.

Are you aware you can apply for 30 day extensions for each 60 day entry from the METV at immigration. You can also get almost 9 months from it by doing an entry just before it expires and extending that entry for 30 days.

• There are "visa run" companies that will take you to the Cambodian border and back in one day.

In lieu of a hotel reservation the embassy would probably accept a letter confirming your Thai address from the Thai person you are staying with in Thailand or a copy of a rental contract. Include a copy of the owners ID and house registration book if possible.

You could just put 60 days. I doubt it matters much. I would put 3 x 60 days.