Cambodia

pehull

I thought i would have a change from the Norm. and instead of spending xmas and new year trawling around bars in Nanna plaza and pattaya, thought i woud pop over to Phnom phen.

Well i intend to start there.

Has anyone out there got any advise on this country.

Would be much appreciated!!

cheers

Just book into the Walkabout Boozer (open 24 hours a day)and watch the world go by.

From upstairs you can watch all the young Nuvo Rich Khmers down the street blow each other away in the Heart of Darkness.

When you get fed up with them just wander along to Howies for a quiet one...nice guy.

Unfortunately the Irish Rover is long gone but the place is still jumping.... :o

Check out Gordons site for all the latest info.....

I thought i would have a change from the Norm. and instead of spending xmas and new year trawling around bars in Nanna plaza and pattaya, thought i woud pop over to Phnom phen.

Well i intend to start there.

Has anyone out there got any advise on this country.

Would be much appreciated!!

cheers

Cambodia is a good change from Thailand, everything is priced in US$. If your going to fly cheap airfares from Air asia. Tourist visa cost US$20.00 which you can get at the border or air port in PP.

A good place to stay in PP is Flamingos hotel its in a good location and friendly staff

: www.flamingos.com.kh cost about $20.00 a night including breakfast and they will pick you up from the air port.

If you go down to Sihanoukville a really good place to stay is The Ochheuteal Guesthouse this is in a very good location cost is US$10.00 for air con room and the staff are very helpfull and friendly in fact when I stayed there they couldnt do enough for me, in other words they would go out of their way to help me and I find this is now a thing of the past in Thailand. http://ochheutealguesthouse.com/

Hope this helps Cheers Tony :o

cheers for the info

i checked the Walkabout out and it seams like a good place to start.

I will try and get a room with a view also, as the streetlife seams quite interesting mate.

Walkabout is just around the corner from Flamingos hotel. Meals at the W/A are Ok but I have read their rooms are a bit grotty and well worn.

Tony

Don't rate the place, couldn't wait to get out of Phnom Penh. Motorbike taxis are a nightmare. You ask for a place, they say fine, you spend the next 30 mins trying to find it and the taxi driver asking you which way.

Having said that, Angkor was awesome and not to be missed. See Phnom Penh in 1 or 2 days then get back to LOS IMHO. For info I stayed at the Star Hotel (Phnom Penh) on the river which was a decent place for $25

Maybe even try seeing some of Cambodia? Kampot, Battambang, Kratie, Kompong Cham and indeed many Mekong towns are all pleasant places to start seeing a beautiful part of South East Asia that doesn't revolve around sex tourists. If you are after the latter attraction Phnom Penh is probably the place for you - when we lived there it was practically dripping with them. Having spent a bit of time there I would say PP is eminently missable. Though as its roads are based on a numerical grid system it isn't that difficult to get around.

Lucky

If you go down to Sihanoukville a really good place to stay is The Ochheuteal Guesthouse this is in a very good location cost is US$10.00 for air con room and the staff are very helpfull and friendly in fact when I stayed there they couldnt do enough for me, in other words they would go out of their way to help me and I find this is now a thing of the past in Thailand. http://ochheutealguesthouse.com/

Hey Tony. How did you get from Sihanoukville back to BKK. I want to do PP and Sihanoukville

and hear the bus trip sucks and the boat takes 4 hours. Is there flights to BKK from there??

Hey Tony. How did you get from Sihanoukville back to BKK. I want to do PP and Sihanoukville

and hear the bus trip sucks and the boat takes 4 hours. Is there flights to BKK from there??

I came back to PP by bus and then flew to BKK, the bus trip is OK but if you want private taxis will take you but Im not sure of the cost. In going back to Cambodia next week and I will be getting the boat back from Snooky. It all depends on what you might be use to but Ive been living around SEA for a long time and I have travelled on some very strange busses etc so nothing surprises me anymore.

Cheers Tony :D

I first went to Cambodia three years ago ( but not since last week ) and I just returned from

PP and Sihanoukville yesterday. I was completely staggered at the way things

have changed there so much in just three years - its phenomenal !

Many of the streets in PP were still unmade three years ago

with huge potholes - but are now sealed so it's much easier to get around !

Because there are far far less restrictions on doing business there compared

to Thailand there has been an incredible explosion of foreigners who have

opened trendy restaurants, guesthouses etc. Three years ago I saw

quite a few foreigners wandering the streets of PP but nothing

compared to what it is now ! I think Cambodia is going to be

( already is actually ) a very popular tourist destination.

I recommend you try some of the Khmer restaurants in 240 Street

such as " Sugar Palm " and " Lemongrass " in street 130.

Have a great trip !

Rinrada that reminds me of another significant change -

streetlights all over the place at night -so you feel safer

to walk around as I did this time. When I was there the first time in 2003

the guesthouse I stayed in warned me against walking along

the river embankment late at night - because of the risk of armed robbery !!

But now the crowds are so big along the embankment in PP

today at least you feel safe :o

Tomissan if you are referring to the big " Coastal Development Tourist Zone " at the

end of Mithona Street ( which I think you must be ) then no-

the work hasn't even started yet :o

When I asked a of few of the management staff at my hotel

on Ochheuteal exactly what was going up there - they were not even

sure of that. I had conflicting responses -some people said it was going to be

a hotel others said it was going to be a golf course. Because of the

shape of the land and the fairly small size I would be very surprised

if it will be bigger than a 9-hole. People say it will start

in the next 6 to 12 months

When it does happen it will raise the profile of the southern beaches

even further but you can keep the irons in the cupboard at this stage.

Rinrada that reminds me of another significant change -

streetlights all over the place at night -so you feel safer

to walk around as I did this time. When I was there the first time in 2003

the guesthouse I stayed in warned me against walking along

the river embankment late at night - because of the risk of armed robbery !!

But now the crowds are so big along the embankment in PP

today at least you feel safe :D

Most of those new lighting schemes were installed about 10 years ago by a bunch of lads from the Irish Electricity Board :D Used to drink in our boozer....

NO nae never No more ..will I be a wild rover..etc...... :D

The old ones "died" when Pollys boys did their house clearing project in 1975 :D

...imagine no street lights for over 20 years.....

The drainage system also was in a right mess and when finally clearing out started the pipes were found to clogged up with dead................. :o