First time in Phuket/Thailand - advice please

invisible999

Hello folks,

Got referred to this forum from another place. Glad I found some quite useful information here.

My wife and I are coming to Phuket for our first visit in Thailand this is our 10th anniversary trip, we are in our mid 40s. We have been looking for a quiet place to stay so we choose Surin beach to avoid hastle and bastle of Patong.

Now I am trying to find out useful activity for these three days we will be there. I've spent good amount of time on TripAdvisor and Wikivoyage trying to understand what is available/makes sense for us to do. We are in fairly fit and like water activities, like kayaking and rafting. After looking at different tour operations, seems that most of them offer the same programs at Phang Nga. Also the same or very similar itinerary across different tour operators could be double of the price. I wonder if most of them are just agents subcontracting tours to third parties and while you pay top dollars you eventually end up cramped with dozens of others with mediocre experience at best.

All of the rafting tours include visit of Monkey cave and elephant trekking - I'd rather avoid to be part of. Also the rafting itself is merely just 45 min, while I am looking for for something at least two hours. So... do you have any company/tour/itinerary to recommend? Moreover - does it actually makes sense to do, considering the travel times to/from Surin?

If rafting\kayaking is not the best option for RoI, what would you recommend? We are interested in nature and activities (trekking, biking, kayaking, rafting), cultural and religious sites. Completely not interested and would like to avoid: parting/drinking, nightlife (unless there is really good Latin music or jazz place), huge crowds, overused tourist spots, forced stops and pressure to buy something at markets and shops.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only 3 days .... mmm

Phuket is really not the place for rafting. You will spend too much time taking transport up north off the island.

Why not just relax on the beach. That would be my honest suggestion.

So you are confirming my suspicion that paying 2500THB per person we would spend it by sitting in a car going back and forth and 'enjoying' riding abused elephants. Thanks, but no thanks.

Anything else you could suggest on the island itself? Like biking\trekking\hiking in jungles\hilltops? I am simply are not aware what is available...

<snip>

Anything else you could suggest on the island itself? Like biking\trekking\hiking in jungles\hilltops? I am simply are not aware what is available...

Nothing comes immediately to my mind. But then again that's not my area of activity.

Hopefully one of our more active/sporty board members chimes in with some ideas.

jaime monk's blog has an entry regarding cheap kayaking in a non-touristy spot. I have no idea how to get there but it seems like fun..

for sports you'd better stay in khao lak or krabi, phuket doesnt have much to do.

Googled already. Will start reading.

I have another stay coming in Krabi by the end of March. So if we are going to have better chance there - I'm eager to listen - where to stay, what to book, how much I should expect to pay.

For kayaking then John Gray offers the best eco tours - http://www.johngray-seacanoe.com/

Thanks, will read.

So one more question regarding life/activities near the place we stay. We will be at a hotel next Surin beach. If you are familiar with the area, could you help me please? I did look at google maps, but it is difficult to judge - how much time would it take to walk or bike from the hotel to Kamala beach or the the 'downtown' of Surin - I mean to the place where most of shops/etc are?

I would be delighted if you can recommend following in our hotel's vicinity (Surin/Kamala):

- where to eat local, tasty street food. I'm not travelling to Thailand to eat in restaurants with (non-tasty) Western food

- where to get a reasonably priced good massage. I checked couple of places came on Tripadvisor with websites and they have prices like 3000THB for 1h of massage. That 10x more I paid for massage in Bali and the same price the massage is in Tokyo. Can't believe that it can be THAT expensive.

I am looking for something nearby in hotel, because to get taxi which takes you 5km and charges 400THB on one way defeats the purpose.

Thanks again.

Edited by invisible999

I can't quite place that hotel. Seems to be brand new - like pre-open on 16 Jan 2016.

Forget walking, even biking to Kamala - long way and many up/down hills on a twisty road with no side walks.

Ain't no 'downtown' in Surin. Some decent restaurants a medium walk north of your hotel, walk a bit more (like 30 minutes) and you will find a (very) few shops.

To be honest there is not much near your hotel. You should hire a car at the airport when you arrive.

3,000 baht for a massge - no way. Should be more like 300 baht for an hour. Just look about when you walk 20 minutes north of your hotel. Nothing for many many miles to the south of your hotel.

Edited by LivinginKata

grab a tuk tuk or cab to Kamala. Come for the Friday market on the north end of town if you want street food. For a nice lunch or dinner try "Rain" on the beach road near the Tsunami Park (opposite +/- 50 meters) or any of the noodle shops on the main road.

grab a tuk tuk or cab to Kamala. Come for the Friday market on the north end of town if you want street food. For a nice lunch or dinner try "Rain" on the beach road near the Tsunami Park (opposite +/- 50 meters) or any of the noodle shops on the main road.

Grab a 'cab' in Surin ?? are you dreaming of another country ....

It will be an expensive uncomfortable Tuk Tuk ...

I can't quite place that hotel. Seems to be brand new - like pre-open on 16 Jan 2016.

Forget walking, even biking to Kamala - long way and many up/down hills on a twisty road with no side walks.

Ain't no 'downtown' in Surin. Some decent restaurants a medium walk north of your hotel, walk a bit more (like 30 minutes) and you will find a (very) few shops.

To be honest there is not much near your hotel. You should hire a car at the airport when you arrive.

3,000 baht for a massge - no way. Should be more like 300 baht for an hour. Just look about when you walk 20 minutes north of your hotel. Nothing for many many miles to the south of your hotel.

Thanks. Regarding hiring a car - you mean for the duration we'll stay? How much should I expect to pay for a car? Secondly - how safe would it be driving in Phuket? I think there was an article that in terms of death in traffic accidents Thailand is in the top spot.

If car rental won't work - how much should I expect to pay to go to Kamala and other places? How should I bargain and is it even possible?

Regarding massage - anybody knows any place? How safe is to go to first shop on a street?

We are arriving on Friday afternoon and departing on Tuesday morning. Anything available on Sunday/Monday? For Saturday I've signed up for a sailing trip.

This 'Rain' at Tsunami Park is it on Kamaa or somewhere else? Could not find anything on google maps.

sigh... What are alternatives?

<snip>

Thanks. Regarding hiring a car - you mean for the duration we'll stay? How much should I expect to pay for a car? Secondly - how safe would it be driving in Phuket? I think there was an article that in terms of death in traffic accidents Thailand is in the top spot.

If car rental won't work - how much should I expect to pay to go to Kamala and other places? How should I bargain and is it even possible?

Yes, if only here for 3 days then hiring a car from the airport will be cheaper than taxis from/back airport and local rides. Budget on 1,000 baht/day with good insurance. Check http://www.davidcarrent.com/

Bargain with Tuk Tuk drivers - ha ... best of luck. Go to Kamala 400 baht, back 400 baht. From Airport 800 baht. Pay 1,000 baht/day for hire car and screw the taxis/Tuk Tuks. 3 day stay = 3,000 baht for hire car + gas - good deal in my opinion.

As for deadly traffic accidents - that's about motor bike drivers that have no idea how to drive a bike. Hire car = very safe.

Edited by LivinginKata

Yes, if only here for 3 days then hiring a car from the airport will be cheaper than taxis from/back airport and local rides. Budget on 1,000 baht/day with good insurance. Check http://www.davidcarrent.com/

Bargain with Tuk Tuk drivers - ha ... best of luck. Go to Kamala 400 baht, back 400 baht. From Airport 800 baht. Pay 1,000 baht/day for hire car and screw the taxis/Tuk Tuks. 3 day stay = 3,000 baht for hire car + gas - good deal in my opinion.

As for deadly traffic accidents - that's about motor bike drivers that have no idea how to drive a bike. Hire car = very safe.

Thanks for suggestion.

Went and checked on David car rental and gone thru of mentioning of them on TA forums. NOT good, what I've red... Plus seems that 'insurance' you supposed to buy might not cover anything and even that 'full insurance' mentioned seems start to work after first 4200/8400THB payment of the renter. Thanks, but no thanks for such conditions.

So probably I will get just get taxi from/to the airport for 1200THB total. As far as for the local transportation - walk and bike.

Well, sorry to say, but everything you are trying to avoid, sounds like everything that describes Phuket as a whole - - which in nearly no way resembles Thailand, at least for most... it is an overrun tourist destination... maybe if not too late, you can spend some time in other areas, maybe that are a less touristy but will have services for you -

plenty of lovely beaches here, not all are overrun.

ps - I live in rural Thailand - a good massage at the local temple is 100 baht an hour... of course, we don't have elephant rides w/lines of tourists or drugged Tiger Kingdoms either... but it is safe, pleasant, non-confrontational and welcoming... good food too...

sometimes reality can be more fun than disneyland...

Edited by kenk24

sigh... What are alternatives?

The bus goes from Kamala to Surin and vice versa every 30 mins during the day for 20thb

Alternatively if you walk up the road to Tesco Lotus and 7/11 there is a taxi stand with fixed prices.

Also next to 7/11 there is one of my favorite local food spots in Phuket run by Khun A.....you'll see the BBQ chicken and Pork cooking there everyday.

This should show the 7/11, taxi stand and "restaurant" all in one.

https://www.google.com/maps/@7.9768833,98.2835579,3a,75y,43.18h,85.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sA6QhCFMhA_QQLQ13lvXVOQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

The Grabtaxi App can help. The system works.

True - but I wonder how many Grabtaxis operate in Surin area. But worth a try.

The bus goes from Kamala to Surin and vice versa every 30 mins during the day for 20thb

Alternatively if you walk up the road to Tesco Lotus and 7/11 there is a taxi stand with fixed prices.

Also next to 7/11 there is one of my favorite local food spots in Phuket run by Khun A.....you'll see the BBQ chicken and Pork cooking there everyday.

This should show the 7/11, taxi stand and "restaurant" all in one.

https://www.google.com/maps/@7.9768833,98.2835579,3a,75y,43.18h,85.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sA6QhCFMhA_QQLQ13lvXVOQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Gentlemen (or ladies) - thank you. Quete an useful information.

As far as Phuket is different then the rest of Thailand - I trust your words. Hope to see more 'normal' Thailand in my next trips.

Sad to see what unsustainable tourism can do to a place. I'd hate if Bali becomes like that.

Edited by invisible999

<snip>

Sad to see what unsustainable tourism can do to a place. I'd hate if Bali becomes like that.

What - you think Bali still has it's natural charm ? I first visited Bali 30 years ago when it was still a paradise, back 20 years ago and much changed, took my wife there 3 years ago - what a tourist mess.

Sorry mods - going off topic.

So one more question regarding life/activities near the place we stay. We will be at a hotel next Surin beach. If you are familiar with the area, could you help me please? I did look at google maps, but it is difficult to judge - how much time would it take to walk or bike from the hotel to Kamala beach or the the 'downtown' of Surin - I mean to the place where most of shops/etc are?

I would be delighted if you can recommend following in our hotel's vicinity (Surin/Kamala):

- where to eat local, tasty street food. I'm not travelling to Thailand to eat in restaurants with (non-tasty) Western food

- where to get a reasonably priced good massage. I checked couple of places came on Tripadvisor with websites and they have prices like 3000THB for 1h of massage. That 10x more I paid for massage in Bali and the same price the massage is in Tokyo. Can't believe that it can be THAT expensive.

I am looking for something nearby in hotel, because to get taxi which takes you 5km and charges 400THB on one way defeats the purpose.

Thanks again.

Phuket has an atrocious reputation among expats here; however, too late to change that.

You would be a lot better off if you could speak some Thai.

I don't know what massage prices are in Phuket, but 3000 baht is BS. In Chiang Mai, 200 baht/hour. Out in the sticks, 100 -150 baht. I'm guessing, but as a tourist trap you may be paying 300 - 400 baht for an hour.

Tasty street food is simple. Look for a place where the food is cooked in front of you, and which has a lot of Thais around it. Avoid restaurants that have no customers.

Be very wary of hiring anything. Phuket is notorious for damage scams on hired equipment, be it scooters, jetskis or bicycles.

Kuta in Bali has become Phuket, but fortunately there are ample of other options starting from Ubud which is whole different experience and quiet beaches at south-west.

But yes, tourism seems at the end brings more problems than solutions.

Phuket has an atrocious reputation among expats here; however, too late to change that.

You would be a lot better off if you could speak some Thai.

I don't know what massage prices are in Phuket, but 3000 baht is BS. In Chiang Mai, 200 baht/hour. Out in the sticks, 100 -150 baht. I'm guessing, but as a tourist trap you may be paying 300 - 400 baht for an hour.

Tasty street food is simple. Look for a place where the food is cooked in front of you, and which has a lot of Thais around it. Avoid restaurants that have no customers.

Be very wary of hiring anything. Phuket is notorious for damage scams on hired equipment, be it scooters, jetskis or bicycles.

Thanks for suggestions, yes regarding food is the universal rule - go where locals eating.

Regarding renting anything - does it applies to bike rental at hotels as well?

One more question - we are street food fans, so try to go on food tours in every new place we go. Well, found a Phuket street food tour here http://www.phukettourswithjo.net/2015/07/phuket-local-food.html but with price tax of 4400THB is very steep.

We do not mind to join a small group if price is more reasonable. Do you know anybody to recommend?

One more question - we are street food fans, so try to go on food tours in every new place we go. Well, found a Phuket street food tour here http://www.phukettourswithjo.net/2015/07/phuket-local-food.html but with price tax of 4400THB is very steep.

We do not mind to join a small group if price is more reasonable. Do you know anybody to recommend?

That's 4,400 baht for 2 people, but still very expensive for street food tour. Amazing how much these tours fleece newbie tourists. Again, much of the cost goes towards the transport, driver, and guide.

If you worry about car hire insurance then go with Avis at the airport. I always use Avis in Thailand when away from Phuket. I expect to pay about 1,000 baht/day. I just tried for a booking of 3 days in Phuket for days and the web site came up with 4,400 baht including full insurance. Bit pricey but there are special promotions always on offer. And I have never had an insurance problem, even when I wrecked the tyre driving over a sharp rock, I expected to pay, but no charge, they even gave me another car when all I wanted was a new spare wheel.

Yeah ! i have some advice about Phuket...DONT GO!coffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

Hey, it can't be that bad. smile.png I've been in much worse places.

Jokes aside, if I'd be alone I would care for less, but it is for my wife and I really want to make this trip for her enjoyable. At the end, we could simply lay on beach or at hotel's balcony and do nothing for two days.

That's 4,400 baht for 2 people, but still very expensive for street food tour. Amazing how much these tours fleece newbie tourists. Again, much of the cost goes towards the transport, driver, and guide.

Found another http://www.phuketheritagetours.net/heritage-walking-tour.php it is 3000THB for two. Still quite steep. Also, they do not provide transportation.

We meet in Phuket Town at the Local Bus Stop on Ranong Road, where all local buses from any beach stops. Hence, best way to come into Phuket Town to join the tour is by local bus.

So I assume that there is a bus from Suring going to that bus station?

Edited by invisible999

I've only been to Phuket a handful of times, but my impression is that there are many really nice (simple, by the beach type places) if you can find the means to get away from the tourist places - probably places people don't want to advertise for fear of them being overrun. There are also hills that are of a gradient that makes it difficult for a car to get up if you like that style of walking/biking activity.

It's also not 'that' expensive if you're not an obvious tourist. Maybe a little more than other places, but little enough to tolerate without really noticing (I am presuming that your budget is in the middle range and not quite 'squeaky' for want of a better word).

Edited by Shiver

If you worry about car hire insurance then go with Avis at the airport. I always use Avis in Thailand when away from Phuket. I expect to pay about 1,000 baht/day. I just tried for a booking of 3 days in Phuket for days and the web site came up with 4,400 baht including full insurance. Bit pricey but there are special promotions always on offer. And I have never had an insurance problem, even when I wrecked the tyre driving over a sharp rock, I expected to pay, but no charge, they even gave me another car when all I wanted was a new spare wheel.

Are you looking at some specific site? Just looked at avis.com and the only thing it gives me is full size van for 7477THB.