Shipping currency and coins to Thailand from USA?

watcharacters

HI All,

I'm in the process of getting my friend to mail by USPS my remaining items left in the USA. We did a Facebook chat the other day and to my surprise I still had some two dollar bills left there along with several proof sets of USA coins. I asked her to simply add up the value of the coins and currency and ship it in a box along with the documents she's shipping. She said she didn't know what to put on the declaration so I asked her to give me a couple of days to check into it.

I was surprised to find one of the first items prohibited for import to Thailand after drugs is coins and currency. I'm guessing the currency matter has to do with money laundering which clearly this is not. There might be 10 or 12 bills and 15 - 18 proof sets.

I'm not as concerned so much about getting these items as I am about what she'd do with them on her own, i.e. to whom she'll give them.

Anyone ever send any bills or coins to Thailand from the USA? What happened?

The bills are worth about......2$

What proof sets do you have?

What ever you do, don't have any of it mailed. Get a good idea of the value and go from there.

If you have a 75-S No S Roosevelt dime, then get your backside home, cash in or put somewhere safe. Many others are only worth face value and in some cases less. Getting a value will help you determine what to do.

Archived