Dr Dolrudee only one out of 5,000 scholars to skip debt, says Ohec

webfact

Dr Dolrudee only one out of 5,000 scholars to skip debt, says Ohec
By Coconuts Bangkok

dolrudee.jpg
A photo of Dr Dolrudee Jumlongras, which circulated on social media.

BANGKOK: -- The Office of the Higher Education Commission (Ohec) said today the Harvard dentist Dr Dolrudee Jumlongras was the only lecturer who skipped out on the scholarship debt in her program.

The office recently researched statistics of scholarships given to Thai university lecturers to study both in Thailand and abroad, and it turns out that Dr Dolrudee’s case was the first of its kind, according to Apon Kaenwong, Ohec Secretary.

The scholarship program that Dr Dolrudee was on, which lasted from 1992 to 2005, granted scholarships to improve the education of university lecturers of 16 academic fields including dentistry, medicine, agro-Industry, architecture, and so on.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/02/04/dr-dolrudee-only-one-out-5000-scholars-skip-debt-says-ohec

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-02-05

...what is the point of the title then? Lecturers should't skip on their debts while the other 5000, it's ok? Either way, such scholarships can only be guaranteed by family members now. Better they rip off their own families.

Really bad headline.

I read it the same as you but the article says she skipped out while the other 4,999 didn't. She was the only one (out of 5000) ...

...what is the point of the title then? Lecturers should't skip on their debts while the other 5000, it's ok? Either way, such scholarships can only be guaranteed by family members now. Better they rip off their own families.

You have it backwards. The 4999 other scholarship awardees paid their debts by returning to Thailand and Teach. This one

did not! I bet she's not smiling now! She'll be lucky to keep her job at Harvard University!

They try to shame her through the medias. I don't think it's going to work. I say less than 1% probably read Thaivisa or Bangkokpost in America. People don't even know her by Thai name. Also, they don't even care with this kind of case. Many people defaulted on their loans in US. I don't think they care.

Edited by stickyrice2000

They try to shame her through the medias. I don't think it's going to work. I say less than 1% probably read Thaivisa or Bangkokpost in America. People don't even know her by Thai name. Also, they don't even care with this kind of case. Many people defaulted on their loans in US. I don't think they care.

Meaning, she has found the gathering place of birds of her feathers...

Story has already been covered by US media.

Read the whole piece. She's already being flamed in social media and has responded to the allegations in the Thai media. It's not just ThaiVisa and international media.

.....I am sure she is basking in the limelight.....

...this all came about because she was provided too much attention to begin with......

....now she is flaunting the title 'Doctor'.....at other peoples' expense....

...shameless...

Forgive me as I am a Serb, but to me the title reads that this dentist is one among 5000 other dentists to skip the debt.

Not all are dentists, but lecturers in other fields...

"...was the only lecturer who skipped out on the scholarship debt in her program".

She is the One, and only one.

The word 'only' in the title points out this meaning.

Edited by trogers

Forgive me as I am a Serb, but to me the title reads that this dentist is one among 5000 other dentists to skip the debt.

"...was the only lecturer who skipped out on the scholarship debt in her program".

Shouldn't title read "the" only one then?

Shouldn't title read "the" only one then?

Are you surprised a "the" was missed in Thailand?

Why is it that TV cannot do some basic journalistic editing of what is posted and send it back if it does not make sense?

This deadbeat did not stiff the University; according to the reports she stiffed people she knew who guaranteed the loan to her. Very high standard of ethics, yes?

Just a note on the English meaning of "Scholarship," which is given to a student free and clear; there is no debt incurred. This is contrasted with a "student loan."

Why is it that TV cannot do some basic journalistic editing of what is posted and send it back if it does not make sense?

This deadbeat did not stiff the University; according to the reports she stiffed people she knew who guaranteed the loan to her. Very high standard of ethics, yes?

Just a note on the English meaning of "Scholarship," which is given to a student free and clear; there is no debt incurred. This is contrasted with a "student loan."

You're mistaken. Scholarships can, and often do, come with terms attached. She violated the terms of her scholarship, it seems.

Perhaps you are thinking of the most common, but not exclusive, definition of the word......

You're Welcome!! smile.png

You're mistaken. Scholarships can, and often do, come with terms attached. She violated the terms of her scholarship, it seems.

Perhaps you are thinking of the most common, but not exclusive, definition of the word......

Sorry, after looking at three dictionaries and google searches asking the question, I can find no source that says a "scholarship" requires repayment. All of the definitions I found were explicit in stating that scholarships do not require repayment. Can you provide a source stating when a scholarship has to be repaid or requires a guarantor in case of repayment default?

Sorry, after looking at three dictionaries and google searches asking the question, I can find no source that says a "scholarship" requires repayment. All of the definitions I found were explicit in stating that scholarships do not require repayment. Can you provide a source stating when a scholarship has to be repaid or requires a guarantor in case of repayment default?

I believe the issue you both are discussing is not the strict term 'scholarship', but the difference between 'Bonded Scholarship' and 'Bond-free Scholarship'.

No problem, I am happy to help:

http://www.nus.edu.sg/oam/scholarships/freshmen/nsg/scholarship-nsg-aus.html

The repayment clause is the last entry under Terms and Conditions.

Please let me know if I can assist further. smile.png

I believe the issue you both are discussing is not the strict term 'scholarship', but the difference between 'Bonded Scholarship' and 'Bond-free Scholarship'.

Absolutely agree. Thank you for clarifying my intention. Lots of scholarships come with terms, and I cannot be convinced she did not know hers when she took the money and ran, so to speak.

Semantics are interesting sometimes......

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scholarship

....Some scholarships have a "bond" requirement.[5] Recipients may be required to work for a particular employer for a specified period of time or to work in rural or remote areas; otherwise they may be required to repay the value of the support they received from the scholarship.[6] This is particularly the case with education and nursing scholarships for people prepared to work in rural and remote areas. The programs offered by the uniformed services of the United States (Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, Coast Guard, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration commissioned corps, and Public Health Service Commissioned Corps) sometimes resemble such scholarships.

Dr Dolrudee is in Big Trouble now! Harvard University has now publicly announced they are investigating what's going on with

her Scholarship to Harvard. It won't take a Harvard Rocket Scientist to figure out this lady had no plans to keep her

commitment to teach at Mahidol University when she finished her PHD nor pay her scholarship back to the school. Only now will

she be forced to take some action to remedy the situation. Harvard will probably give her a short period of time to settle her

affairs with the Mahidol University and the Guarantors in a satisfactory manner, otherwise, I believe she maybe unemployed in

the near future. Her family in Thailand and her husbands family in America must be devastated!