Re: Downloading Apps (Storage Space Insufficient(

Mothman

Hi Learned Member's,

I'm using a Lenovo A-7000 LTE mobile phone running Android 5.0, Octacore Processor, and 2GB Ram.

Its a wonderful phone with longer than average battery life, speed and screen considering it's 4600 Baht (less 1000 baht) purchased at Tukcom, during its weekly Wednesday promotion.

It's most obvious and persistent problem (since the very first few weeks) was downloading apps from the pre - installed Google Playstore app.

Built-in storage is an abysmal 8GB. However, I had a 32GB micro SD card installed to expand it.

The OS occupies 3.13GB and the default write-disk was set to phone. After downloading several apps and still with about 1.5GB storage space, I was unable to download anymore app.

A pop up would appear stating 'Insufficient Storage Space; Please consider deleting some apps for more space'.

I changed the default 'write-disk' to SD card, though this seems to saved more recent downloads (movies, photos, documents and etc.) to it. I'm still unable to download any app.

I had then transferred moveable apps initially installed on the phone storage to SD card, it works but only for one app download.

The 'storage space issue' would then persist!

This only happens when I'm downloading app from the Google Playstore. If an app was installed through the web or 3rd party provider, there's no problem for both phone and SD card as default write-disk.

Can anyone explain why it happened, and are there ways to resolved this?

Due apologies for this lengthy post with my intention being relating my problems clearly.

All help appreciated, and thanking all in advance!

Cheers

Edited by Mothman

Some Lenovo tablets can have major issues with lack of storage space (Google Lenovo A1000, unbelievable) so maybe there is a similar issue with their phones. The solution for tablets is a system update so check your have the latest version.

Some Lenovo tablets can have major issues with lack of storage space (Google Lenovo A1000, unbelievable) so maybe there is a similar issue with their phones. The solution for tablets is a system update so check your have the latest version.

Thanks kkerry,

Yes, system is updated to the latest! Will Google A1000 as suggested.

Thanks again.

Did you get an error code?

Hi flyDelight,

Most times, it's this pop-up...

"This device doesn't have enough storage to download '.............'. Consider deleting apps or content you no longer needs."

And yes, for some it states error code: 926.

Thank you.

Mothman, in your Android settings, go to Application Manager, click on each app and then click on Move To SD Card. It's quite safe, and you can move most apps which will free up enough space to download more. In the future after you download an app, repeat the procedure and move each one out to the SD. That should fix it. As far as I know, there's no default setting you can change to automatically send downloaded apps out to the SD card.

Mothman, in your Android settings, go to Application Manager, click on each app and then click on Move To SD Card. It's quite safe, and you can move most apps which will free up enough space to download more. In the future after you download an app, repeat the procedure and move each one out to the SD. That should fix it. As far as I know, there's no default setting you can change to automatically send downloaded apps out to the SD card.

Good afternoon Buffy F,

I had indeed done what you advised, apart for some apps (pre-installed), all moveable apps were transferred to the SD card.

Yet still the problem's not resolved :(

I'm already hating Lenovo, right now! What bothers me more is the fact that there's no problem downloading apps from the web or any 3rd party vendor, with the exception of Google Playstore website.

Thank you for the suggestion, anyhow.

Cheers

You might have to un-install an app to do this, but, do that and install Clean Master to clear up some space.

Thank you...Mick!

I downloaded the app using the alternative by going to cm website, as unable to do it by Playstore.

Once installed this app works like a dream! It started scanning, cleaning, and prompted me to move apps to the SD card including those I was unable to previously.

I really appreciate it...big thanks to you!

However, I am still very keen and would greatly appreciate guidance to truly resolved my phone's persistent problem.

Again, thanks Mick!

Cheers

You're welcome. Could I also recommend that if you have the Facebook app installed that you remove it and try an app called Metal. Facebook plus messenger take up about 300mb whereas Metal only takes 9mb. I'm using it and it works great.

Edited by bkkmick

May be you have a bad virus named Time Service or Monkey Test in your system. This parasite installs apps without stop until saturation. Very difficult to remove because it builds on the app to reinstall it without end.

In controlling the menu: Applications - all

The solution is to get rid of the disable, then locate the apps that it has contaminated the apps service menu, also disable these, rooter device and install an app manager system to eliminate.

Yes, I know, it's a bit tedious and takes a long time but you come out more hardened. The quick solution is to make reinstall a clean OS by a specialized workshop of Tukcom.

You're welcome. Could I also recommend that if you have the Facebook app installed that you remove it and try an app called Metal. Facebook plus messenger take up about 300mb whereas Metal only takes 9mb. I'm using it and it works great.

Hi Mick,

I do not have FB nor most Social Media app, but told my wife who proceeded to download the app on her phone.

According to her, it's awesome!

Thanks again!

Cheers

May be you have a bad virus named Time Service or Monkey Test in your system. This parasite installs apps without stop until saturation. Very difficult to remove because it builds on the app to reinstall it without end.

In controlling the menu: Applications - all

The solution is to get rid of the disable, then locate the apps that it has contaminated the apps service menu, also disable these, rooter device and install an app manager system to eliminate.

Yes, I know, it's a bit tedious and takes a long time but you come out more hardened. The quick solution is to make reinstall a clean OS by a specialized workshop of Tukcom.

Thanks Happy Joe!

Well, I'm not savvy enough to even try what you suggested...lol. I'm the 'idiot' user, so to speak.

Question: Will doing a factory reset suffice?

Again, I am really thankful and appreciate your learned input.

Cheers

You might have to un-install an app to do this, but, do that and install Clean Master to clear up some space.

CleanMaster is the best example of placebo effect in the android platform. Better stop using it as you may be killing the performance of your phone, and this app doesn't increase performance of your android phone in any way.

What it does do well, making you feel good through its UI, where you are given the experience of your phone speeding up (in illustrations and animation effects alone), which is more than enough for many.

Whatever feeling of speed increase you get from this app is purely imaginary. It does have some minor useful tools, to add some semblance of credibility, but mostly its just a well-designed platform to push ads and give you the illusion of control over your phone's performance.

Did you get an error code?

Hi flyDelight,

Most times, it's this pop-up...

"This device doesn't have enough storage to download '.............'. Consider deleting apps or content you no longer needs."

And yes, for some it states error code: 926.

Thank you.

Check this it should give the solution. www.youtu.be/yqnoYCSqqyU Edited by flyDelight

Mothman,

I had the same problem with my Lenovo A680 phone. Android is a primitive operating system that puts on the user the burden of storage maintenance which is not unified. So, this is what you would have to do to address the issue fully.

1. root the device. Look up your model on forum.xda-developers.com for suggestions on which tool to use for this purpose and what the steps are. From this point on everything you do is dangerous and may result in bricked phone. Kingroot worked fine on my phone.

2. Install Titanium Backup and give it root access. Backup all the apps on your phone to the sdcard. Then review each user (not system) and move it to the sdcard freeing up space on the phone storage. Most apps are movable, but some aren't. Reboot frequently and test each relocated apps. You can move back those apps that don't run well from the sdcard. If you repent of a deletion you can always restore from your first backup.

3. You can delete bloatware using Titanium Backup as well, but it's risky since you don't know ahead of time which apps can safely be deleted. However, Titanium Backup will let you freeze an app so that it will never run. You can freeze some of the likely candidates for a few days and see if your phone still runs ok and then move the app to the sdcard or delete it. I was able to delete all the mysterious apps with Chinese descriptions without a problem.

4. My A680 has 2.4 GB internal storage. If the free space on internal storage drops below 200 MB I start to see the dreaded "insufficient space" when trying to install a new app. Doesn't make sense since the apps themselves are small, but that's the observed behavior.

It's possible to accomplish some of this using Titanium Backup without rooting, but I didn't go that way and don't know how successful it would be. You might try that first anyway.

What a complete pain in the ass. I couldn't believe that Android is such a piece of junk. Nevertheless, mobiles are pretty useful these days, so I put up with it.

Mothman,

I had the same problem with my Lenovo A680 phone. Android is a primitive operating system that puts on the user the burden of storage maintenance which is not unified. So, this is what you would have to do to address the issue fully.

1. root the device. Look up your model on forum.xda-developers.com for suggestions on which tool to use for this purpose and what the steps are. From this point on everything you do is dangerous and may result in bricked phone. Kingroot worked fine on my phone.

2. Install Titanium Backup and give it root access. Backup all the apps on your phone to the sdcard. Then review each user (not system) and move it to the sdcard freeing up space on the phone storage. Most apps are movable, but some aren't. Reboot frequently and test each relocated apps. You can move back those apps that don't run well from the sdcard. If you repent of a deletion you can always restore from your first backup.

3. You can delete bloatware using Titanium Backup as well, but it's risky since you don't know ahead of time which apps can safely be deleted. However, Titanium Backup will let you freeze an app so that it will never run. You can freeze some of the likely candidates for a few days and see if your phone still runs ok and then move the app to the sdcard or delete it. I was able to delete all the mysterious apps with Chinese descriptions without a problem.

4. My A680 has 2.4 GB internal storage. If the free space on internal storage drops below 200 MB I start to see the dreaded "insufficient space" when trying to install a new app. Doesn't make sense since the apps themselves are small, but that's the observed behavior.

It's possible to accomplish some of this using Titanium Backup without rooting, but I didn't go that way and don't know how successful it would be. You might try that first anyway.

What a complete pain in the ass. I couldn't believe that Android is such a piece of junk. Nevertheless, mobiles are pretty useful these days, so I put up with it.

Afternoon Haddock,

Foremost, thanks for your in-depth input and guidance. I'm currently reading up 'rooting' and thus far discovered that it's akin to 'jailbreak' for the iPhone, albeit more complicated and risky.

I totally agree with you on Android being junk. Nonetheless, it does served some important purpose.

I'll take the Titanium backup without rooting first an see how it works, until I'm confident enough to go the whole way.

Again, much appreciated and thank you!

Cheers

Unfortunately, Lenovo's are notorious for pre-installed bloatware that is as difficult to remove as a fish hook in your finger. I've had 2, a P780 and a A936 that, though I liked the phones themselves, I finally gave up on. I tried deleting everything possible; apps, old messages, photos, ect down to the bones. I did re-sets and re-sets of re-sets. Both had root access so I tried "Titanium Backup". Ultimately, any joy initially achieved soon faded as the old garbage reemerged like cockroaches out of walls.

I did find CleanMaster to be temporarily useful. I would always uninstall it after use because it's a memory hog itself.

Rooting and roming requires a strong understanding of tech jargon and process and mistakes can sometimes be irreversible. Not in my skillset. Both phones are now in the desk drawer.

This seems to be a common problem with some Android phones (I started experiencing this problem on my vivo after an Android system update). Even if plenty of phone storage is still available, it seems very little system space is there for adding new apps beyond a certain point and for updating any existing apps on there. 'Cleanmaster' seems to be one of the best apps to free up space, and also 'App cache cleaner'. As people have commented, delete completely any apps you don't use.

The most effective thing I've found is to open settings - applications - installed apps and to view them in size order (bottom left key on my phone). Then select 'clear data' for apps like Google, Google Chrome, Playstore, Maps, Facebook etc. Facebook app is worth uninstalling altogether actually. I can usually free up quite a bit of system space this way, enough to update apps or add new ones. Be careful not to clear data on photo apps, line etc as it will delete what's stored there (with line it's better just to delete individual conversation histories within the app). My phone seems to need around 350 or 400mb of system space free to make the updates, but it's been a reliable workaround so far.

Edited by lamyai3

• 1 year later...