Thais invest 6.8 billion baht, up 143% in first nine months of last year

webfact

Thais Invest 6.8 Billion Baht, Up 143% in First Nine Months of Last Year
BY JACOB MASLOW

baht-bank-notes-702x336.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Residents of Thailand are investing more overseas, according to a report released on Monday. Investments of 6.8 billion baht abroad were documented during the first nine months of 2015, up 143% year-on-year. Residents are investing in popular destinations such as Cambodia and Indonesia.

The Commerce Ministry stated that many of the investments were acquisitions primarily in Indonesia. Cambodia also saw a major increase, and was the second largest market increase for foreign investment. Residents are also investing in other countries, such as Laos, Vietnam and Myanmar. European investments increased as well.

Full story: https://ethailand.com/business-news/thais-invest-6-8-billion-baht-up-143-in-first-nine-months-of-last-year/1541/

-- eThailand 2016-02-09

Do we have to ask our self why up 143% wai2.gif

I read the story on BP and they don't allow comments. Why are they afraid about comments, and not on TV whistling.gif

The discussion board on this article has been turned off, because commenting on the above issue may cause legal dispute.

Edited by carstenp

"The Commerce Ministry stated that many of the investments were acquisitions primarily in Indonesia. Cambodia also saw a major increase, and was the second largest market increase for foreign investment. Residents are also investing in other countries, such as Laos, Vietnam and Myanmar. European investments increased as well."

Why wasn't it invested in Thailand?

I'm no expert by a long way but with the little I do know I wouldn't feel safe in investing anything in Thailand for the foreseeable future. I'm sure there's many on here who will have a better insight but to me it's all to risky

Edited by Rimmer

I've little to no stocks left in Thailand anymore, except for my very old MAKRO and MINT shares. Otherwise I'm fully invested in property and infrastructure stock funds now. The global economy isn't doing well, so are Thailand's major stocks. JASIF is paying more than 9% dividend right now, and strong fundamentals, if anyone wishes to know.

If I read this right Thai residents investments OUTSIDE of Thailand have increased by 143% hmm Do they know something we do not? You really have to go into this article to see what it is about. The opening title looks a little misleading like most of the financial news. Its really funny I read the financial section of a well know Bangkok newspaper and all the glowing reports of this going up and that going up all positive glowing news and very little negative. I have learned in the past when governments say everything is coming up roses there are usually thorns attached. How heartening.

Edited by elgordo38

6.8 billion baht gone abroad in nine months - and that was just what was documented.

Add in a potentially rather large non-documented amount - say proceeds from the not unknown practice of corruption in these parts - and you start to see why trying to maintain the strength of the Thai baht is very appealing to those with prodigious amounts of cash lying around.