Murder Of Paul Mason (uk) In 2003

whimsy

The original links I posted no longer work, so I am updating them.

Report of the murder in the British press. A report from the inquest here.

The Nation article - appears to no longer be available

May I join others in expressing my condolences to Paul's parents. If any good can come from this terrible crime, this thread is a part of that as a warning to others.

In my opinion, extreme jealousy is a common and unfortunate part of Thai behavior. Jealous reactions of some lead to harming themselves or others.Take heed folks.

The original links I posted no longer work, so I am updating them.

Report of the murder in the British press. A report from the inquest here.

The Nation article - appears to no longer be available

May I join others in expressing my condolences to Paul's parents. If any good can come from this terrible crime, this thread is a part of that as a warning to others.

In my opinion, extreme jealousy is a common and unfortunate part of Thai behavior. Jealous reactions of some lead to harming themselves or others.Take heed folks.

I had a friend who told me (all very circumstantial I know) that he had read an article which stated that a study had shown that Asian women lacked or had an extra gene or chromosome that made them prone to violent fits of temper. I disregarded this theory as being too fanciful, but having read this thread and the tragic circumstances, together with other numerous tales of similar events involving Thai women, now I'm not so sure.

I think there should be some sort of guide published regarding relationships with Thai women.

One major caution should be, do not become involved with women that work in bars, certain massage parlours, Karaoke, work within the sex industry and some of the ultra poor from the villages.

Of course there are exceptions, that I am sure someone is going to point out to me, but be extremely cautious.

Many of these girls often have a screw loose in the first place, may have severe mental problems, on an extremely short fuse and can be totally unpredictable.

Some of the girls from the poorest backgrounds out of desperation will often search out a gullible naive farang for the purposes of acquiring wealth for themselves and their families, often leading to dire results for the farang, even murder in some cases.

I personally know of a young Thai lady in my area at the moment who was living with her poor family, now has some naive Austrian on the go that she somehow convinced to buy a 2 million baht home and land for her parents. She boasts to my girlfriend how stupid and ugly she considers the Austrian guy is and yet the man refuses to wake up from his dream make believe world and realise he is being taken for a ride. I tried to give him a hint, but he just doesn't believe me or want to accept the truth

I have decades of experience regarding Thai people, the culture and Thailand it`s self and if only the newbies would approach me or others like me for advice before jumping into the deep end.

As I have said previously, it is easy to live in Thailand, but easy to die here too, especially for those that has no experience.

The majority of Thai ladies are good, decent and sincere, just that some of a certain genre should be avoided.

In the end it`s all down to common sense. Why expect that someone from a certain class, background or works in a certain industry is going to be any different from they're counterparts in the home country?

Being a parent myself and each day pray and hope that nothing ever terrible happens to my kids, I can almost fully relate to how the parents of Paul most be feeling, but not completely because my children are all well and doing alright. Meaning I don`t know how I would be affected if the worst would happen and I'm sure this pertains to all of us.

I know that when I hear of stories like these, it creates a great sadness within me.

It can be a cold world out there and my advice is; be safe and use your noddle, use your wits and don't take things at face value, be realistic, stay in the real world and learn from the experience of others.

Edited by Beetlejuice

The article:

Archive - Saturday, 28 August 2004

Teacher stabbed to death by Thai lover

A TEACHER was murdered in Thailand by his barmaid girlfriend, a Bury inquest was told.

Paul Mason, aged 27, died instantly when Renu Thapthim stabbed him in the heart in a fit of jealous rage, coroner Simon Nelson heard on Friday.

Thapthim was originally jailed for 18 years by a judge in Bangkok, but the term was reduced to 12 years because she had confessed to the murder in February last year.

Mr Mason had only been in the country for a few days after leaving his home in Falmer Close, Brandlesholme.

Thapthim used a penknife to stab Mr Mason in the chest. The blade punctured his heart and he bled to death within seconds.

At her trial, Thapthim, who worked in Bangkok's Nana Plaza district, said Mr Mason had appeared at her bar, called Palschool, with an English woman he had just met.

Back at their apartment, he had refused to tell her where he and the woman had been for the evening.

In a rage, Thapthim picked up the penknife and stabbed him. She then stabbed herself in the chest before calling a receptionist for help.

While recovering in hospital, Thapthim admitted to police that she had killed Paul, but claimed that it was in self-defence.

Thapthim was spared the death penalty after Mr Mason's family made a plea to the Thai authorities.

The inquest in Bury was held to formally conclude the investigation into Mr Mason's death.

Mr Mason's father, Les, said his son was born in Radcliffe and attended Bury Grammar School and Holy Cross College, and graduated from Staffordshire University in 1998 with a degree in English.

He did his teacher training in London and went to Pakistan to be an English language teacher before returning to Bury.

In 2000, Mr Mason, a Bury FC supporter, began working for a Bolton-based construction magazine as a production assistant which helped to pay for holidays to Thailand.

During three previous trips to Thailand, he met Thapthim and the pair struck up a relationship. He helped her to learn English.

Mr Mason Snr said: "Paul was quite a special, very caring young man and the world has become a poorer place because of his death." Mr Nelson said that in the light of the criminal hearings against Thapthim, the only verdict could be one of unlawful killing.