lost passport and visa stamp question

hey guys... regrettably i recently lost my passport... i just had a few questions about this process....

as im in thailand will a faxed certified copy of my birth certificate from the usa work? what would be the easiest document to obtain in country for me to show as proof of my identity for my appointment with my em bassy? will my driver's license and copy of old passport work?

as im 31 i was fortunate in that the embassy in pnom penh gave me a retirement visa (got hurt on active in military, have a small pension).... will immigration in bkk give me my visa on my new passport.. if not... will the embassy in pnom penh re issue the same visa with same expiration date?

i just did a visa run and JUST obtained that retirement visa...so im kind of bummed about my situation

Interesting story.

You never had a "retirement visa" from Laos or from anywhere being under age 50.

So what exactly did you have?

A non-immigrant O visa presumably.

Was it single entry (for a 90 day stay) or was it multiple entry?

In any case, very sorry to hear you lost your passport and whatever visa you did have in it.

Detailed advice is coming from more expert but first step is to know you never had a retirement visa.

DR and copy of old passport along with Thai police report and new photo/application/payment for new passport should do it.

You have lost that visa - not sure if Thai Consulate will issue another or not as seems rather strange that any was actually issued. You are talking about a Thai visa?

I think it's pretty clear he got an O visa at the Thai embassy in Cambodia. He probably asked for a "retirement visa" and they humored him and gave him an O visa. My question is whether it was single or multiple entry, out of curiosity.

I just think it would be helpful at this point, as he's trying to recreate what he had, that he KNOWS what he ACTUALLY had in his passport.

To summarize --

a person under age 50 a "retirement visa" is impossible

A U.S. citizen can get an O-A visa only from your home country but must be age 50 plus (Thai embassy, sometimes consulates)

Edited by Jingthing

I think it's pretty clear he got an O visa at the Thai embassy in Laos.<snip>

When did the embassy in Phnom Penh move from Cambodia to Laos? smile.png

Oops. Major reading comprehension fart.

Of course it didn't.

So common to read visas from Laos. Thanks for correcting my embarrassing error.

Anyway, if the OP was happy with whatever visa he did get before in Cambodia (not a retirement visa which would be impossible) then perhaps he should just go back there when he gets his new passport.

Edited by Jingthing

my mistake so it was a non immigrant o for one year...

in any case theyd been issuing me back to back tourist visas that ive been living off for the last 2 years in thailand.. if i have to go through this ridiculous process again id almost rather move back to the usa.

would anyone have any experience talking with immigration about getting their visa back after submitting the paperwork from embassy? am i really SOL

if i go back to pnom penh is there any chance theyll give me my visa stamp considering ive already paid all my fees and already given the visa before

will a faxed copy of my birth certificate work for my embassy appt?

thanks for all the help guys

my mistake so it was a non immigrant o for one year...

in any case theyd been issuing me back to back tourist visas that ive been living off for the last 2 years in thailand.. if i have to go through this ridiculous process again id almost rather move back to the usa.

would anyone have any experience talking with immigration about getting their visa back after submitting the paperwork from embassy? am i really SOL

if i go back to pnom penh is there any chance theyll give me my visa stamp considering ive already paid all my fees and already given the visa before

will a faxed copy of my birth certificate work for my embassy appt?

thanks for all the help guys

As I wrote before all that immigration can do is reinstate your most recent entry. Embassies do not replace lost visas.

You don't need a copy of your birth certificate. From the webpage I posted a link to before.

"4. Bring the following to the appointment:

• Form DS-11
  • Form DS-64
  • Original police report documenting the loss/theft
  • A photocopy of your current U.S. passport, if available
  • A valid photo ID, if available
  • Passport photo (See link for detailed requirements; an onsite photo booth is available for a fee of 120 THB.)
  • Fee of $135, payable in cash (USD or THB) or by credit card"