Where To Go For Breakfast?

hong

Mad Dog is on the road that runs along the inner side of the moat and faces Thapae Gate. Mad Dog is located in a southwards direction from the traffic lights at Thapae Gate where Rachadamnoen Rd. meets Moon Muang Rd. (There is a Black Canyon at this crossing).

The road running along the Eastern, inner side of the moat is called Moon Muang Rd.

Walk down Thapae Rd., walk over the square, through Thapae Gate and you will find yourself at the traffic lights.

Turn left. Walk along (quite far) until you see the sign for Mad Dog (the sign is in black, red and yellow if I am not mistaken) on your right hand side, on the opposite side of the street.

Where is Mad Dog (Moon Muang) and Laughing Leprechaun location? I stay near Thapae rd, so how do I go from here?

The Laughing Leprechaun is right beside the John's Place and Cozy Corner bars on that strange little soi off Moon Muang road where David U's (Golden Triangle Rider) Library Services used to be long ago. My favorite English breakfast and the host is the most - a true gentleman.

Daret's Guesthouse opposite Tha Pae Gate.

Choice of Thai or falang food.

Big servings.

Cheap.

Wholesome.

Best kao sawy gai and pla nin phrik in Chiang Mai.

Plenty of backpacker staples like cereal, fry ups, pancakes & lassis & sandwiches etc if you eat falang food.

Where is Mad Dog (Moon Muang) and Laughing Leprechaun location? I stay near Thapae rd, so how do I go from here?

The Laughing Leprechaun is right beside the John's Place and Cozy Corner bars on that strange little soi off Moon Muang road where David U's (Golden Triangle Rider) Library Services used to be long ago. My favorite English breakfast and the host is the most - a true gentleman.

Thanks for the direction! Breakfast is the most important meal of the day ; )

Best kao sawy gai in Chiang Mai.

Tried Samoe Jai in Fa Ham yet?

No! but if they have a kao sawy to top Daret's you won't be able to prise Mr Fruittbatt out of the place ...unless you can lure him away with another big bowl of the same! Thanks for the tip!

Also Queen Victoria Inn.. On Prapokklao Road.

It's really quite impressive, both the setting, service and the huge menu, reasonably prices and (overly) large portions. There's an affiliated place on Loi Kroh, but I keep forgetting the name. Same menu, little bit smaller and no aircon at that site. (About half way up Loi Kroh, past the Traveller Inn on the right, in between 2 other bar/restaurants.

Best kao sawy gai in Chiang Mai.

Tried Samoe Jai in Fa Ham yet?

No! but if they have a kao sawy to top Daret's you won't be able to prise Mr Fruittbatt out of the place ...unless you can lure him away with another big bowl of the same! Thanks for the tip!

Would never in a million lifetimes ever have considered Daret's for kao sawy... will have to give that a try.

Have been to Samoe Jai and wasn't impressed. Much prefer Lam Duan down the street from there. And a friend of mine swears by the place in the Siam TV plaza. Different strokes for different folks, I guess....

Also for Olde Time's Sake... Daret Guesthouse at Thapae and Dara Restaurant on Ratchapakinai Rd are good low key / low cost options.

And then the Nimmanhaemin Restaurant scene has just exploded beyond belief. There's a corner around where Starbucks is, where there've VERY nice breakfast coffee / sandwich places, many of them airconditioned. One very old and long running place has converted into such a smaller, aircon, coffee & food place and it's very, very good indeed, also the Thai food: Ming Muang. Much smaller and MUCH crisper and cleaner than before. Was there last Saturday. Across the road on the corner of a soi there is a place that has an almost identical menu and 'feel' to Bake & Bite. Actually Bake & Bite is still a good place in itself, on CHang Klan Road close to the Saeng Tawan intersection. (Can use the parking lot behind the old Saeng Tawan building, that's the big ex-cinema which magnificent terracotta-tile facade was raped by DHL and other huge billboards. :o Anyway Bake & Bite is okay, but VERY American. Like missionary families going there with their kids. Younger dudes with baseball caps.. Kind of strange to see such a massive onslaught of normal people in Chiang Mai these days. :D :D

Anyway Bake & Bite is okay, but VERY American. Like missionary families going there with their kids. Younger dudes with baseball caps.. Kind of strange to see such a massive onslaught of normal people in Chiang Mai these days. :o:D

Run by a young Thai woman who spent a short time in both the US and Australia - not sure how much "American" influence there is there.

IMHO, Bake and Bite makes the best holiday Turkey dinners in town and for a very reasonable price. Thanksgiving and Christmas are just around the corner!

> Would never in a million lifetimes ever have considered Daret's for

> kao sawy... will have to give that a try.

For Khao Soi, and tom yam noodles, sateh and all, this is really very good: ***URL removed, see rules*** They run out of food not too long after lunch time though, and the place is packed during lunch, so try to get there at or before noon.

An honerable mention in the Khao Soi category goes to Blue Diamond, the tiny resto-guesthouse in the tiny soi connecting Moon Muang soi 9 with Moon Muang Soi 7. (Closer to Soi 9, but impossible to park there. Soi 7 can park).

They do a lot of vegetarian dishes and also a very interesting Khao Soi variety with loads of vegetables. it's not 'traditional khao soi' anymore that way purists could argue, but a VERY interesting dish all the same. This place is also good for breakfast generally, but the whole experience is like threading a needle.. Finding a place to park, as well as seating in a place that's too popular for its size. :o

Edited by sabaijai

Have been to Samoe Jai and wasn't impressed. Much prefer Lam Duan down the street from there. And a friend of mine swears by the place in the Siam TV plaza. Different strokes for different folks, I guess....

The only time I've been to Lam Duan, the chicken in the Khao Soi was cold and still bloody near the bone, the muu sate we ordered was burned black but still served without as much as an excuse, the waitress looked about 10 years old and should have been in school, and the tables were dirty and full of plates they had not cleared out - so we never went back there.

Perhaps we just caught them on a bad day, but those things in combination, especially the cold, partially uncooked chicken, was enough for me to say "no thanks".

Maybe I should give them another chance though.

Drop me a Pm with your number - and let go for breakfast at 5 am - 6 am i know the best place for the best freshes breakfast .. whhaha but i usually ate it as supper ..

Hong . seem like you as bored me :o

I'm not bored as you, is just that I not familiar with the place..but i still believe breakfast is the most important meal of the day but not supper :D

Also Queen Victoria Inn.. On Prapokklao Road.

It's really quite impressive, both the setting, service and the huge menu, reasonably prices and (overly) large portions. There's an affiliated place on Loi Kroh, but I keep forgetting the name. Same menu, little bit smaller and no aircon at that site. (About half way up Loi Kroh, past the Traveller Inn on the right, in between 2 other bar/restaurants.

It's "Hungry Horse"

> Would never in a million lifetimes ever have considered Daret's for

> kao sawy... will have to give that a try.

For Khao Soi, and tom yam noodles, sateh and all, this is really very good: http://chanchao.fotopages.com/?entry=64940 They run out of food not too long after lunch time though, and the place is packed during lunch, so try to get there at or before noon.

An honerable mention in the Khao Soi category goes to Blue Diamond, the tiny resto-guesthouse in the tiny soi connecting Moon Muang soi 9 with Moon Muang Soi 7. (Closer to Soi 9, but impossible to park there. Soi 7 can park).

They do a lot of vegetarian dishes and also a very interesting Khao Soi variety with loads of vegetables. it's not 'traditional khao soi' anymore that way purists could argue, but a VERY interesting dish all the same. This place is also good for breakfast generally, but the whole experience is like threading a needle.. Finding a place to park, as well as seating in a place that's too popular for its size. :o

When talking of "khao soi" don't forget one of the originals "Just Khao Soi" just south of White Lotus on Charoenprathet Road.

Hong I strongly advise you to invest in a map. Alternatively you could rip one out, of, one of the free mags that are all over the town.

And on the subject of food you could try the vegetarian on the corner of Charoenprathet and Thapae. They tell me that it is very good, and whats more it is free (yes free free free) I bet that got your attention :o