NBTC to give another 11 million TV coupons

webfact

NBTC to give another 11 million TV coupons

tvc.jpg

BANGKOK, 17 February 2016 (NNT) – The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) has convened a meeting to discuss plans to promote digital TV and solve conflicts between the regulator and digital TV companies.

NBTC Secretary-General Thakorn Tanthasit said the commission had approved a plan to give another 11 million digital TV coupons to households, which have yet to receive the giveaways from the previous issuance.

Eligible households include residences with tenants and those belonging to government and state enterprise officials. All set-top boxes must have the same channel mapping, from channel 1 to 36.

Mr. Thakorn disclosed that the NBTC was planning to auction off ad time and was considering lowering annual leasing fees. These issues should be resolved within August. However, other issues regarding conflicts between digital TV operators and the NBTC, including the request to postpone the third installment of the bidding price and TV operators’ plans to return their licenses to the broadcasting regulator, remain unresolved.

The NBTC has planned to convene a new round of meetings to resolve these problems by the end of this month.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-02-17 footer_n.gif

Last handout we bought a box with the voucher. Have never used it. They can buy it back if they want!

In the bedroom, we have the standard, no monthly fee, GMM service through a satellite. Every now and then, my Mrs loses Channel 3 after the channels have been shuffled. After some huffing and puffing, the correct version of channel 3 is once again found. I don't think anyone watches anything outside of channel 3 and channel 7.

As a tenant I bought my own set top box for about 500 Baht. Not such an expensive deal to worry about. 36 channels never? It only has 31 and 3 of those are waiting for some transmission content from a TV company. So in practice only 28 are available. Transmission quality does vary from time to time on various channels, which is more to do with the TV companies and not the box.