Bicycle P*rn

bobfish

That's actually quite reasonable for a bespoke handmade Ti frameset built with Campy Super Record and Enve wheels. Although personally I think they should have left the gruppo alone and not colour matched it, for a better look ;)

Sent from my turnip using Tapatalk

Edited by moonoi

Painting a titanium bike frame is.... odd.

Brushed titanium for me... or if i had to a nitrided finish., and disc brakes ;-).

Litespeed Ti bikes are available in Thailand at Cycam... anyone know of anywhere else in Bangkok?

1443604234074-1t6hoj1jaqyc7-700-80.jpg

Edited by coops

Yeah, I like a more natural look for ti as well. My Lynskey XC bike is 'Industrial Mill' finish - looks workmanlike and 'industrial' I guess. Next time I'd get etched graphics, the decals looked rubbish after one ride.

Not sure where else you can get a Litespeed, or other ti like Van Nicholas etc. Size in Asia can be a problem.

I like the idea of a titanium road bike, but keep erring towards carbon. Probably I'm just a wannabe.facepalm.gif

Equally, I saw a LeMond Washoe [Reynolds steel] on display at Rapha San Francisco. It looked very nice indeed... I'd probably be more likely to buy one of those if only to support Greg LeMond's unfortunate stand against Lance Armstrong.

WasoheDi2bike.png

Yeah, I like a more natural look for ti as well. My Lynskey XC bike is 'Industrial Mill' finish - looks workmanlike and 'industrial' I guess. Next time I'd get etched graphics, the decals looked rubbish after one ride.

Not sure where else you can get a Litespeed, or other ti like Van Nicholas etc. Size in Asia can be a problem.

I like the idea of a titanium road bike, but keep erring towards carbon. Probably I'm just a wannabe.facepalm.gif

Equally, I saw a LeMond Washoe [Reynolds steel] on display at Rapha San Francisco. It looked very nice indeed... I'd probably be more likely to buy one of those if only to support Greg LeMond's unfortunate stand against Lance Armstrong.

WasoheDi2bike.png

I love the look of the Washoe, and it's supposed to be an excellent ride as well, the fact it's from Greg LeMond is just the icing on the cake ;-)

I almost thought to order and import the frame myself and build it up, but I've seen a nice MHCF Colnago C60 that seems to be calling to me more!

Not much more embarrassing than getting lapped by a kid on his 3000 baht Tesco special.

I'd die of the embarrassment if I'd paid over 10,000 for my bikes when those whipper snappers blow past me. Second hand, of course, which throws me down into a whole 'nother pile of low class.

(Well, except for the electric and the recumbent- which exceeded the 10K, but I'd have paid less for those if I could have.)

I can’t imagine anyone dying of embarrassment while riding on a bike unless ones only reason to ride is to showoff.

And I can't imagine anyone paying $15,000 for a bicycle, unless...

So, if they're riding a $15K bicycle, it stands to reason according to your statement that they could be vulnerable to dying of embarrassment.

I can’t imagine anyone dying of embarrassment while riding on a bike unless ones only reason to ride is to showoff.

So, if they're riding a $15K bicycle, it stands to reason according to your statement that they could be vulnerable to dying of embarrassment.

Perhaps you need to work on improving your imagination. Some people can appreciate the refinement of a high-end bike and some can't, I guess.

Perhaps you need to work on improving your imagination. Some people can appreciate the refinement of a high-end bike and some can't, I guess.

Anything over $3-4,000 isn't making the bike any better, faster or more comfortable. If $15K is what it takes, it's very poor value engineering. And sponsorship $$$ and name brand status.

I still get a kick recalling a Top Gear, where an $80K factory American car beat the pants off a $400K Euro supercar that seemed to overheat every time it got over 100 MPH. Same with bicycles...

Edited by impulse

Anything over $3-4,000 isn't making the bike any better, faster or more comfortable. If $15K is what it takes, it's very poor value engineering. And sponsorship $$$ and name brand status.

I still get a kick recalling a Top Gear, where an $80K factory American car beat the pants off a $400K Euro supercar that seemed to overheat every time it got over 100 MPH. Same with bicycles...

You are entitled to your opinion but that is all it is. I have a different opinion. So there we have it, two different opinions.smile.png

You are entitled to your opinion but that is all it is. I have a different opinion. So there we have it, two different opinions.

Of course it's 2 different opinions, both valid. I am taking a little bit of the piss.

And I'm thoroughly enjoying riding my <10K baht bicycles, which are faster and sturdier than I have been for a few decades now.

The only thing that should determine how much one spends on a bike is the size of the wallet.

You are entitled to your opinion but that is all it is. I have a different opinion. So there we have it, two different opinions.

Of course it's 2 different opinions, both valid. I am taking a little bit of the piss.

And I'm thoroughly enjoying riding my <10K baht bicycles, which are faster and sturdier than I have been for a few decades now.

Edited by el jefe

I would add that spending seemingly obscene amounts of money on a bike are not necessarily to do with performance either, it can also be about the aesthetics and heritage of the brand too.

The C60 I'm looking at, isn't the lightest and certainly isn't the most aero frame. But it is a handmade carbon lugged frame, lovingly crafted by a company steeped in cycling history. If I go for it, I'll probably blow needless cash on an Italian gruppo and wheels as well. I don't believe it will make me faster, but it would be a joy not just to ride, but a piece of artwork to behold when I'm not.

If I want to go fast, I just spend 80k on a Cervelo P2 plus maybe an extra 20-30k for some deep section aero wheels and away I go. It'll be much faster than the C60, but it won't evoke the same emotions when riding. It is just a tool designed to get you around a TT or Tri bike leg as fast as possible.

Sent from my turnip using Tapatalk

If i were ever buying a 10-15k super bike i think i would be looking at last years model on a deep discount. You probably would have to delay your purchase until the sales kick in during the autumn and buy it in western country. They could be half price?

If i were ever buying a 10-15k super bike i think i would be looking at last years model on a deep discount. You probably would have to delay your purchase until the sales kick in during the autumn and buy it in western country. They could be half price?

I had to go back 2.5 yrs to get one at 1/2 price, [Cannondale Supersix evo DI2] but it's still a better bike than I am rider, or was in 2013! But it's no Italian superbike.....

There's a lot to be said for Moonoi's approach: Classic Italian craftsmanship with complementary components. That total ownership feelgood factor: eg - giving it a sideways glance or three as you casually sip your espresso mid ride......... dreaming of, well of those things only a guy in lycra can dream of.....

Answers on a postcard please! From San Remo.

This is a San Remo moment. Sean Kelly age 36 leaving the bunch on the descent with great skills. Catching Argentin who was an amazing classics rider, then out sprinting him to win one of the most difficult races in the world. Superb victory right at the end of Sean Kelly's career. I wouldn't mind a top italian bike from that era. Columbus SLX and a Campag C Record Groupset. Chainsets looked so much better in those days compared the Dura Ace of today.

And RIP David Duffield who died a few days ago.

This is a San Remo moment. Sean Kelly age 36 leaving the bunch on the descent with great skills. Catching Argentin who was an amazing classics rider, then out sprinting him to win one of the most difficult races in the world. Superb victory right at the end of Sean Kelly's career. I wouldn't mind a top italian bike from that era. Columbus SLX and a Campag C Record Groupset. Chainsets looked so much better in those days compared the Dura Ace of today.

And RIP David Duffield who died a few days ago.

Outstanding CNX. Very appropriate!