How can I sponsor my TGF to be able to come to the USA and work?

If she is on a spousal visa, immigration officer will appear randomly for checks to see if you guys are really living together (there are a lot of folks who have fake marriages just to get green card - citizenship). This usually happens yearly and in some cases more than once a year.

That's a ridiculous statement. No immigration officer I s going to visit your home.

Its not, I've known people who had immigration visited their house. You can simply search on google "immigration officer visit home" or "USCIS visit home". There are load of topics with people talking about it. If you are from a certain country such as China, they are more likely to visit than others. This is to cut down on marriage fraud, there are many people paying starngers thousands of dollars to be in a fake marraige in order to get citizenship. Many Chinese do this while they study in college as citizenship would probably take 4-5 years to obtain, so while in college its a good time to do so - the "stranger husand" will most likely be in the same location for that period as well.

Again, I will say I am not an expert (or play one on TV) but the cases you refer to in your post are people coming to this country on a student visa and then trying to get permanent residency through marriage. Immigration really frowns on that and I can see where they might take closer inspection. I am not even sure there is a direct path from student visa to spouse or fiance visas. I would think they would be required to leave the country and return on the appropriate visa.

If she is on a spousal visa, immigration officer will appear randomly for checks to see if you guys are really living together (there are a lot of folks who have fake marriages just to get green card - citizenship). This usually happens yearly and in some cases more than once a year.

That's a ridiculous statement. No immigration officer I s going to visit your home.

Its not, I've known people who had immigration visited their house. You can simply search on google "immigration officer visit home" or "USCIS visit home". There are load of topics with people talking about it. If you are from a certain country such as China, they are more likely to visit than others. This is to cut down on marriage fraud, there are many people paying starngers thousands of dollars to be in a fake marraige in order to get citizenship. Many Chinese do this while they study in college as citizenship would probably take 4-5 years to obtain, so while in college its a good time to do so - the "stranger husand" will most likely be in the same location for that period as well.

Again, I will say I am not an expert (or play one on TV) but the cases you refer to in your post are people coming to this country on a student visa and then trying to get permanent residency through marriage. Immigration really frowns on that and I can see where they might take closer inspection. I am not even sure there is a direct path from student visa to spouse or fiance visas. I would think they would be required to leave the country and return on the appropriate visa.

It's certainly possible to enter on a student visa, get married to an American and apply for a Change of Status, i.e. green card. My wife did it. One hears that the BCIS frowns upon that sequence of events. However, they put no special obstacles in her way. In fact, as long as you are in the US legally on any visa, you can marry an American and apply for Change of Status. If they determined that you had the intention to immigrate on a non-immigration visa, e.g. student, they may not approve. In making that determination they take into consideration, for instance, how much time elapsed between entry and the marriage.

• Like 2

Thanks Captain for clearing that up for me. You are the big fishsmile.png

It's certainly possible to enter on a student visa, get married to an American and apply for a Change of Status, i.e. green card. My wife did it. One hears that the BCIS frowns upon that sequence of events. However, they put no special obstacles in her way. In fact, as long as you are in the US legally on any visa, you can marry an American and apply for Change of Status. If they determined that you had the intention to immigrate on a non-immigration visa, e.g. student, they may not approve. In making that determination they take into consideration, for instance, how much time elapsed between entry and the marriage.

By the way, the student visa is certainly the method that I would recommend to a couple in a relationship, but who don't know each other well enough to decide to marry, which was our situation. By bringing her in on a student visa, i.e. full-time, at least 20 hours per week ideally at a university, she can upgrade her skillset, especially English, while you get to know each other without a deadline. If it turns out that it's not the right match, she can return to Thailand with more skills and a better resume. If you do decide to make the commitment then she will need her improved skills for life in America. The woman will also some idea as to whether she can cope with American life, which many Thai immigrants do poorly.

However, I wouldn't seek a student visa for study at some cheapo English for immigrants business. The BCIS can smell a visa mill easily enough.

Edited by CaptHaddock
  • Like 2

K3 visas are seldom issued these days. Instead, CR1/IR1 (IR1 if you have been married more than two years). No adjustment of status required, green card issued immediately.

Marry her in Thailand, show substantial assets, and a

green card is a slam dunk. Start to finish for myself

and my Thai wife was four months. I did the CR1,

and used cash assets instead of income since I

was living in Thailand when I started the process...

Edited by EyesWideOpen

K3 visas are seldom issued these days. Instead, CR1/IR1 (IR1 if you have been married more than two years). No adjustment of status required, green card issued immediately.

I assume you submitted the I-130 petition to the Bangkok USCIS office after showing them proof of your residence in Thailand. I don't believe the OP can do that.

TH

• Like 1

I assume you submitted the I-130 petition to the Bangkok USCIS office after showing them proof of your residence in Thailand. I don't believe the OP can do that.

TH

I can show residence in Thailand I have been there 6 years...

TH

What is the visa in your passport that has been allowing you to stay in Thailand as thats make all the difference.

TH

Yes at the time I was living in Thailand. However as part of

the process the government wants to know your proposed

living arrangement in America will be. So as part of my package

I had a friend write a letter that I would be renting his house

when my wife and I arrived in America....

• Like 1

Fireplay

Re your 6 years residence in Thailand, I presume this was sometime in the past, perhaps even recent past?

I think, but not at all sure, that USCIS Bangkok likes that "longterm" presence to be immediately connected to when you're standing in front of their window submitting the documents for immigration.

If my presumption is correct, that your presence was in the past, you might ask them if it could still be used to file with them now.

Contact Us – USCIS Bangkok Field Office

Gregory Sanders, Field Office Director

Email

[email protected]

Phone

02-205-5352 or 02-205-5382 (from within Thailand)
011-662-205-5352 (from the United States)

Fax

02-650-7770 (from within Thailand)
011-662-650-7779 (from the United States)

Mailing Address from the United States

Field Office Director
Department of Homeland Security
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
American Embassy Box 12
APO AP 96546

Mailing Address from Outside the United States and for Express Mail

Field Office Director
American Embassy Box 12
120-122 Wireless Road
Bangkok 10330 Thailand

Note: We recommend that you provide your email address in any correspondence you send us so that we may reply quickly.

Nonimmb....look is the only solution marriage? Can't i be a sponsor in some other way?

Marriage was the only option for me - and if that is also the case with your good self - do your homework, and make sure she passes the test..

One way is to give her a bank card - keep only what you can afford to lose - I only put in 2 thousand dollars - and see what happens..

That worked for me. Mine was not a money-hungry person. There's only one way to find out..

Best

She has a bank card and hasnt removed a dime in the 2 months I have been gone...she wants to plan for future...has no interest in shopping or owning anything expensive...except a car a house and a small coffee shop...she would rather come work in the states because even though she "saved 5000 bht this month" its not enough fast enough...

My gf works....at tesco lotus....thats it.

Fireplay

Re your 6 years residence in Thailand, I presume this was sometime in the past, perhaps even recent past?

I think, but not at all sure, that USCIS Bangkok likes that "longterm" presence to be immediately connected to when you're standing in front of their window submitting the documents for immigration.

If my presumption is correct, that your presence was in the past, you might ask them if it could still be used to file with them now.

Contact Us – USCIS Bangkok Field Office

Gregory Sanders, Field Office Director Email

[email protected] Phone

011-662-205-5352 (from the United States) Fax

011-662-650-7779 (from the United States) Mailing Address from the United States

Field Office Director

American Embassy Box 12

APO AP 96546 Mailing Address from Outside the United States and for Express Mail

Field Office Director

American Embassy Box 12

120-122 Wireless Road

Bangkok 10330 Thailand

Note: We recommend that you provide your email address in any correspondence you send us so that we may reply quickly.

I don't quite understand this post...but I still live in thailand...I am just on a 3 month vacation from the place....i pay my rent in thailand.

By the way, the student visa is certainly the method that I would recommend to a couple in a relationship, but who don't know each other well enough to decide to marry, which was our situation. By bringing her in on a student visa, i.e. full-time, at least 20 hours per week ideally at a university, she can upgrade her skillset, especially English, while you get to know each other without a deadline. If it turns out that it's not the right match, she can return to Thailand with more skills and a better resume. If you do decide to make the commitment then she will need her improved skills for life in America. The woman will also some idea as to whether she can cope with American life, which many Thai immigrants do poorly.

However, I wouldn't seek a student visa for study at some cheapo English for immigrants business. The BCIS can smell a visa mill easily enough.

Hey captain I like this advice. Now many years ago I had a student in bkk who was attempting to go to Seattle on a student visa...primarily to visit her boyfriend at the time. She was denied the ed visa and was upset...

Would you mind illustrating how the ed visa process your gf went through was organized and facilitated? How much of a role did you play in the process? Or were you totally silent in the background?

What kind of financial and background information was key to her being granted the ed visa?

What you said is pretty much perfectly where we or I am at now. YES we love each other. But I am concerned how she will assimilate if at all into American culture....

And if it turns out it isn't her thing...well....

Hey captain I like this advice. Now many years ago I had a student in bkk who was attempting to go to Seattle on a student visa...primarily to visit her boyfriend at the time. She was denied the ed visa and was upset...

Would you mind illustrating how the ed visa process your gf went through was organized and facilitated? How much of a role did you play in the process? Or were you totally silent in the background?

What kind of financial and background information was key to her being granted the ed visa?

What you said is pretty much perfectly where we or I am at now. YES we love each other. But I am concerned how she will assimilate if at all into American culture....

And if it turns out it isn't her thing...well....

At the time she enrolled in an intensive (20 class hours/week) ESL program at a well-known university. Then she applied for a student visa at the US consulate in BKK. They interviewed her and asked specifically where the money was coming from to finance her study in the US. She told them I was providing it. That did seem to raise an eyebrow, but they didn't actually ask what our relationship was or why I was providing the money and they approved the visa. From the perspective of the US immigration services, unattached, young women foreigners are the most likely, once in America, to form an attachment and overstay. So, there is a real risk that they will refuse a student or tourist visa. That's one reason why study at a recognized university is so important, because there's no question but that it's bona fide study. My guess is that the Thai student you knew got rejected because she enrolled in a cheapo visa mill.

Once in the US she spent a year in the ESL program, passed the TOEFL, and began studying for a new career. Seven months after she arrived, we decided to marry. The process to a green card and citizenship was long and tedious, but it's just filling out forms and having interviews. There never was any problem. Six years after arriving she became a citizen. She really loved studying in the US and made the most of her opportunity. She also liked living the US and now misses it more than I do.

That's how it worked for us. If you decide to go this route, it's crucial that you start reading the informal websites on immigration stories because things change. It may be that the BCIS has changed their stance on Change of Status, although I don't think that's too likely.

I see that UT Austin indeed offers an intensive ESL program that qualifies for the F-1 (student) visa.

https://www.tiep.edu/intensive-programs/

Of course, if she can pass the TOEFL without further study then she can enter a master's degree program, for instance. An ESL program is a good way to become familiar with university study in the US. I think it helped my wife make the transition successfully.

Good luck.

• Like 1

And was she able to work on this student visa or did that option only come later after change of status? Thanks CaptainH you are a beacon of experience and insight to all this.

Also I checked out the TIEP link you posted for Texas...this certainly wouldn't be the Visa 'cheapo mill' style you frowned upon earlier right? Do these classes happen in a community college or at UT or something? I see a lamar University but not clear on its standing.

Edited by fireplay

And was she able to work on this student visa or did that option only come later after change of status? Thanks CaptainH you are a beacon of experience and insight to all this.

Also I checked out the TIEP link you posted for Texas...this certainly wouldn't be the Visa 'cheapo mill' style you frowned upon earlier right? Do these classes happen in a community college or at UT or something? I see a lamar University but not clear on its standing.

On a student visa the foreign student can only work in certain on-campus part-time jobs which don't pay particularly well, but accommodate the student lifestyle. But, if you marry, then she will apply for Change of Status, i.e. green card. At that point she no longer has any visa. While the green card application is being processed she can apply for a Work Permit each year, assuming it takes more than one year. With the Work Permit she can take any job in America, just like with the green card, except that she has to renew the Work Permit each year.

Correct. The TIEP program is not cheap since UT is a bona fide university with a very good reputation. Their fees are typical and about what we paid per semester. This is what you want since it gives her the best chance at approval for an F-1 visa. I am sure the quality of instruction is quite good. Programs like this at major universities are all going to be good, because the university depends on upgrading the ESL students into the regular academic programs for which they charge the out-of-state rate. The university has a strong interest in running a successful ESL program.

I assume the classes are on the UT Austin campus, but at this point for further information I turn you over to the no doubt highly capable staff at the program itself.

You might start considering what further educational opportunities from which she might benefit in the future, provided that she is indeed education-oriented. Doing so may well strengthen your relationship among other benefits. If you ask a Thai girl why she likes her boyfriend she is almost certain to answer, "Because he takes good care of me." Try it. Supporting her and helping her plan for the future indicates the depth of your commitment to her well-being, even if later on you do not decide to marry. As a biology major there is a range of professional opportunities in the healthcare field that will be open to her with further study, either in the US or Thailand.

Edited by CaptHaddock
  • Like 1

Fireplay

Contact Us USCIS Bangkok Field Office

Gregory Sanders, Field Office Director Email

[email protected] Phone

011-662-205-5352 (from the United States) Fax

011-662-650-7779 (from the United States) Mailing Address from the United States

Field Office Director

American Embassy Box 12

APO AP 96546 Mailing Address from Outside the United States and for Express Mail

Field Office Director

American Embassy Box 12

120-122 Wireless Road

Bangkok 10330 Thailand

I don't quite understand this post...but I still live in thailand...I am just on a 3 month vacation from the place....i pay my rent in thailand.

I think he is saying contact them and ask if you qualify to submitt I-130 to the Bangkok office. Assuming you decide to go this route. It is likely the fastest way. Their website is pretty specific as to what they want to see.

TH