Buying A Bike

Hi Guys.

I'm staying in Thailand on a 'Multiple entry Non imm O' visa. Is it possible for me to buy a motorcycle in my own name?

If so i would also like to know what are the documents i need to recieve from the seller when i buy the bike and what i have to do to make it all legal.

Cheers for any help offered.

C.B.

Theoretically yes, you could own a motorbike. BUT you will need a confirmation of address from immigration which they did not give me in Nong Khai about 3 years ago when I tried for one (also on non immigrant O multiple entry visa).

If you have a wife she may be the best owner of your bike - she (my wife, not your wife ;-) is it in my case.

You will not only have to convince the immigration and bike registration office, but also your dealer (the seller usually does the registration for you) and insurance company. It is a complication for all of them.

But what is more important: Check the green book (registration) and compare the bike chassis number against the book and DOUBLE check that the bike's chassis number was not changed to match the papers.

If there is any doubt abaout this chassis number not being the original number of the bike: hands off. Just say no!

With a new bike this is usually no problem. You will get the insurance paper when you get your bike, the brand new green book within a week and the number plates after an other month. No problems there. The shady things are rather with second hand bikes and the bigger the bike the more suspiciouse you should be.

If you have a genuine registred bike (in anybodys name) you have a bike which serves you. As long as it is not stolen from you it is your bike. Bikes are a bit like currency in Thailand - whoever rides it, has it.

Take care...

Thedi

Edited by thedi

Theoretically yes, you could own a motorbike. BUT you will need a confirmation of address from immigration which they did not give me in Nong Khai about 3 years ago when I tried for one (also on non immigrant O multiple entry visa).

Take care...

Thedi

This is more or less what happened to me when I tried for one in Phitsanoluk. The system is geared up to be difficult. But a poster on TV claims to of got a bike registered in his own name on a tourist visa! Whether this is true or not is a bit dubious as the poster never replied to my messages on the matter.

If your single and need the bike in your own name the best bet would to put it in the name of someone you trust or (if brand new) hang on to it and get it registered within a year (the tax lasts that long before you need to get it registered).