CIB nabs illegal jet-ski operators in Phuket

rooster59

CIB nabs illegal jet-ski operators in Phuket

post-247607-0-40133100-1455955309_thumb.

A total of 58 people were arrested during the raid, including 14 for whom arrest warrants had already been issued. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: A total of 28 jet-ski operators were arrested during a Central Investigation Bureau (CIB) raid on Phuket yesterday.

Despite numerous accidents and a legacy of scamming tourists, jet-ski operators have continued to work under an umbrella of lax enforcement of jet-ski rules and regulations.

“We arrested the jet-ski operators for renting their vehicles to tourists without provincial permission,” said Deputy Commissioner of the Royal Thai Police CIB Adis Ngamchitsuksri.

About 300 officers took part in the raid that busted the jet-ski operators, along with alleged drug dealers, illegal firearm owners, copyright infringement vendors and those participating in a number of other illegal activities.

Full story: http://m.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/CIB-nabs-illegal-jetski-operaters-Phuket/63195

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-01-20

They like to go in mob-handed, don't they?? 300 cops for 28 jet ski operators ... Sheesh.

jet ski operators armed to the teeth ... I don't blame the police going in mob handed ..

Not forgeting ... "along with alleged drug dealers, illegal firearm owners, copyright infringement vendors and those participating in a number of other illegal activities."

Well past time to get these guys under control. I assume all wil be out on bail in no time and who knows if charges will be processed. That's the problem with (so called) Thai justice. Money talks and criminals walk ...

They like to go in mob-handed, don't they?? 300 cops for 28 jet ski operators ... Sheesh.

"They like to go in mob-handed" - why wouldn't they?

Many of these guys had warrants and may be facing gaol time. They could be drunk, or high on ice, and the photos show that many were armed.

Given that all 28 of these guys may not have lived separately, 300 officers for, say, 20 premises to be raided, simultaneously, that's only around 15 officers each raid.

They would need around 8 officers to set up a perimeter, some others to do the entry, and there would be a senior officer, or two, overseeing the operation.

Hardly "mob" tactics.

Unclear if they are talking about the boys on the beach or the actual owners of the jet ski. Beach boys don't have the money to buy or influence to stake out a piece of the sand.

It is all those either not paying a wad to the bib, or not belonging to influential wealthy families.

Same old.

A couple of years ago I would have considered a crackdown like this to be great news and a start in the battle to get rid of the organized thieves and scammers from the island.

However, having waited in vain for all crooks previously caught in this manner to face court, it's now just more boring smoke and mirrors.

Whatever happened to the Tuk tuk drivers charged with blockading Patong, the mayor and his underlings who pocketed millions selling the beach, the taxi driver with a hundred million in the bank, the mob who burnt down the police station, the crooked family who fleeced every business owner in Patong, the people who stole the national park, the deputy Governor who did illegal land deals, etc. etc. etc.

Nothing ever seems to get as far as the court system.

Isn't there an authority responsible for the issue of jet-ski licences?

Doesn't this authority have the responsibility to all stakeholders that jet-ski operators in Phuket are licensed. Have insurance and pay the correct fee to operate legally. Pay tax on their income?

Will the person responsible for this oversight be called to account. Have their assets audited? Be prosecuted for any wrong doing? Sacked for direlection of duty?

Ofcourse not. Just a misunderstanding.

Isn't there an authority responsible for the issue of jet-ski licences?

Doesn't this authority have the responsibility to all stakeholders that jet-ski operators in Phuket are licensed. Have insurance and pay the correct fee to operate legally. Pay tax on their income?

Will the person responsible for this oversight be called to account. Have their assets audited? Be prosecuted for any wrong doing? Sacked for direlection of duty?

Ofcourse not. Just a misunderstanding.

"Isn't there an authority responsible for the issue of jet-ski licences?" - my understanding is, the beaches across Thailand are not to be used for ANY commercial enterprises. This means the whole jet-ski operation is illegal.

Quite a mix of riff raff, jet-ski rentals, drug dealers, illegal weapons. Confiscate the jet-skis and

give them to the life guard operations. thumbsup.gif

Most of the jet ski guys are also employed as life guards ...

That's been my observation in Patong.

I've never seen a lifeguard sitting in the lifeguard chair, or even looking at the people in the sea. Instead, they're always on the beach launching or beaching jet skis, or just socializing with the other jet ski guys.

I wonder what it means to have "provincial permission" to operate a jet ski rental business on the beach.

Is there a fee involved? If so, how much, and who collects it. Is a permit issued? We'll never know, as there is zero transparency in local government here.

I know there have been these clampdowns in the past but they never come to anything because of corruption and Thai Mafia are involved.... just too much money. My fear is that this will be another 'flash in the pan' and things will resume as normal after a couple of weeks.

https://wottraveltwickenham.wordpress.com/.../top-10-safety-tips-for-visi...