Firefox 2.0 Released

youngkiwi

Tried it and it froze.....had to un-install and go back to old one

I am using RC3 and that seems to be working fine, not a single error yet. The blog mentioned above comes from an informed source close to the project itself, however, no reason was given. I will wait the extra day.

A lot of people stand to profit in one way or another if a disruption in the distribution process took place, causing some to be in possession of bad code. Certainly worth a thought and enough to warrant waiting the extra few hours.

One caution and that is if you have any favorite extensions there is a good chance they will not work on 2.0 until they are upgraded. I just downloaded 2.0 for linux to test and, as I guessed, the extensions that I consider indispensible won't work.

So please... just remember: "Preed the Release Engineer says: friends don't let friends download Firefox before it's released." "We know everyone's excited for the 2.0 release. We are too. But give us 24 hours, so we can make sure that your first experience with Firefox 2.0 is befitting of everyone's hard work on this major release.

I promise it's worth the wait."

Sounds like sound advise to me.... :o

redrus

Edited by redrus

So please... just remember: "Preed the Release Engineer says: friends don't let friends download Firefox before it's released." "We know everyone's excited for the 2.0 release. We are too. But give us 24 hours, so we can make sure that your first experience with Firefox 2.0 is befitting of everyone's hard work on this major release.

I promise it's worth the wait."

Sounds like sound advise to me.... :o

You're right, didn't read the whole blog before. One way to do it is just wait for the auto-update in Firefox to trigger, then you know you have the current version.

One caution and that is if you have any favorite extensions there is a good chance they will not work on 2.0 until they are upgraded. I just downloaded 2.0 for linux to test and, as I guessed, the extensions that I consider indispensible won't work.

which extensions are indispensible to you tywais? care to share.

I don't have many but really would miss the features of the ones I do have. Listed in most important first.

1. Tab Mix Plus -This is a great tab browser extension. One of the features that may seem useless is that it shows a progress bar in the tab itself indicating how far the page is open. Very useful when you are opening several tabs and don't want to have to switch back and forth to see if it is done yet. Also places a small x box in the corner of the tab allowing you to close the tab just by clicking on it.

2. FlashGot - replaces the built in Firefox downloader and sends it to FlashGet (my favorite downloader)

3. Google Toolbar for Firefox - I use this exclusively for my searches. Never have to type in Google to get the search engine up. Of course there are others but really like this one

4. PDF Download - PDF viewing is still a pain in the arse in Firefox but this seems to help alot.

I downloaded version 2 right after George put the link up. The Google tool bar works great and I have had absolutely no problems. I like it. I was running IE 7 and was disappointed with it.

I don't have many but really would miss the features of the ones I do have. Listed in most important first.

1. Tab Mix Plus -This is a great tab browser extension. One of the features that may seem useless is that it shows a progress bar in the tab itself indicating how far the page is open. Very useful when you are opening several tabs and don't want to have to switch back and forth to see if it is done yet. Also places a small x box in the corner of the tab allowing you to close the tab just by clicking on it.

2. FlashGot - replaces the built in Firefox downloader and sends it to FlashGet (my favorite downloader)

3. Google Toolbar for Firefox - I use this exclusively for my searches. Never have to type in Google to get the search engine up. Of course there are others but really like this one

4. PDF Download - PDF viewing is still a pain in the arse in Firefox but this seems to help alot.

Try using Mr. Tech Local Install. It allows all extension to work in the new version. Also Nightly Tester Tools lite. Never again have an extension killed by an upgrade. Have to check and make sure it work with Linux.

Edited by mouse

tywais - The developer of TabMixPlus advises a FF2 compatable version will be available within a week.

If you want to try the beta version of his forthcoming release (v0.3.5-RC1), you can download it HERE

waldwolf

Thanks for the info. Tried the beta yesterday, Firefox says 'not compatible with this version'. No problem, am in no hurry for 2.0. Might wait for 2.01. :o

Cnet and user reviews of Firefox 2.0 Cnet Review
The good: Firefox 2 adds built-in antiphishing protection, search engine suggestions, session restore, inline spell-checking, and Live Titles; the browser is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux; localized versions available in many different languages.
The bad: The Firefox 2 uninstall leaves behind a mess; some 1.5 version add-ons will break in 2.0; there are no thumbnail previews of open tabs; the browser doesn't yet pass the Web Standards Project Acid2 test.

Bad outways good for me at the mo....!

Average user rating from 48 users

Good

out of 10

redrus

Ok, downloaded FFX2 and lots of the extensions are not compatablw with 2 yet. Arse pain....!!!!!

redrus

New toys are always nice but what's the big hurry, it's just a browser... The anti-phishing thingy may be useful for AOL'ers but I'm sure most of you guys used to the wild wild internet know how to spot a phish.

I'm going to wait until all my favorite plugins are sure to work:

1) Foxmarks Bookmark Synchronizer

2) Fasterfox

3) Tab Mix Plus

4) Adblock Plus

5) Colorful Tabs

6) IE Tab

7) CoLT

I never used Firefox before, but went to download the new IE 7.0 and it wouldn't install due to the fact that I reinstalled Windows XP on my computer and couldn't locate my legitimate serial number so just used another serial number that was handy. Bad move IMHO on Microsoft's part to now put this new restriction on IE 7.0. So anyways, I figured I'd give Firefox 2.0 a try. LOTS of compatibility problems, and not only with plugins! At least 10 to 20% of the sites I normally visit have problems, typically with overlapping pictures with text and that sort of thing. I was a bit surprised at the number of incompatible sites. Most of the incompatible sites are not U.S. or Europe based, so maybe the users of those sites typically aren't Firefox users, so the website designers don't bother to check for compatibility issue. Regardless of who's at fault, I won't be trashing my IE 6.0 anytime soon as it's the only browser that can reliably open virtually all the websites on the net.

I do however love a lot of the features of Firefox...especially using the tabs rather than new windows / multiple sessions to browse multiple pages simultaneously. Always opening a new window as required in IE wasn't so bad, but the constant crashing of IE and needing to reboot after opening up dozens and dozens of windows was a real pain. I often had to reboot my computer several times a day to get around that IE bug, which has been present since the beginning of time and they never bothered to fix.

Hope these incompatibility issues with Firefox can be resolved, and I'll use them for everything and completely forget about IE.

I do however love a lot of the features of Firefox...especially using the tabs rather than new windows / multiple sessions to browse multiple pages simultaneously. hey never bothered to fix.

If you need to use IE then I would recommend to get a copy of Avant Browser. It is 100% IE compatible because it uses the engine but it has the tabs, looks better, and many other features. I use it when a site won't work right in FF (doesn't happen that often for me though). Oh, and it's free.

I find it interesting CNET Editors gave Firefox 2 an overall rating of 8.3 out of 10.........while users only rated it 6.9 out of 10, thus far. :o

That was due to 3 or 4 users going to the extreme other direction and giving 1's. Probably localized problems with their computer and not a true reflection on FF.