Firefox 2.0 Released

youngkiwi

Ive been using IE6 for some time now, and now want to try both IE7 and Firefox 2.0, there’s so much advice offered on

All the browsers that it’s some times confusing, so it’s a matter of trying each one to fine you’re personal preferences. Just reading about FioreFox I came across this

…..http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/FirefoxMyths.html

which has even confused me more..? .

On of the things I am a bit concerned about having never used FireFox is its ability to open my secure Bank web pages..?

Would this be possible with FireFox, or could it be that I have to switch back to IE , to access them..?

TTW

On of the things I am a bit concerned about having never used FireFox is its ability to open my secure Bank web pages..?

Would this be possible with FireFox, or could it be that I have to switch back to IE , to access them..?

At the moment Firefox will not work with my internet bank and is the only reason I have to use IE or one of the replacement interfaces. Have not tried the IE Tab plugin though which, if works, would mean Firefox could do it all.

Ive been using IE6 for some time now, and now want to try both IE7 and Firefox 2.0, there’s so much advice offered on

All the browsers that it’s some times confusing, so it’s a matter of trying each one to fine you’re personal preferences. Just reading about FioreFox I came across this

TTW

I tried to use Firefox 2.0 for my secure internet banking and it doesn't work. When I try it, it says it needs a plugin and tries to install it but fails and says I need to do it manually. I suppose I could spend the time to try to figure out how to manually install it, if it's possible, but I simply load IE6 when I need to do internet banking which has always worked fine for me.

TTW

I tried to use Firefox 2.0 for my secure internet banking and it doesn't work. When I try it, it says it needs a plugin and tries to install it but fails and says I need to do it manually. I suppose I could spend the time to try to figure out how to manually install it, if it's possible, but I simply load IE6 when I need to do internet banking which has always worked fine for me.

hi'

just the macromedia flash player :o

google it, and install it, everything will be fine :D

francois

tywais - The developer of TabMixPlus advises a FF2 compatable version will be available within a week.

If you want to try the beta version of his forthcoming release (v0.3.5-RC1), you can download it HERE

waldwolf

Thanks for the info. Tried the beta yesterday, Firefox says 'not compatible with this version'. No problem, am in no hurry for 2.0. Might wait for 2.01. :o

Just installed it. Smoother than Butter

hi'

just the macromedia flash player :o

google it, and install it, everything will be fine :D

francois

No, I already had installed the Macromedia Flash plugin. It asked me to install the previously when I'd visited a different site. For my internet banking it says it's an unknown plugin that needs to install. IE automatically installs it when I load my internet banking. I think the plugin is an anti-keylogger that my internet banking forces into action before allowing any logons.

Used FF for a good while now, have no problem with Internet Banking at all.

Same here!! Even remembers my passwords for me, which I have hundreds of.

I had trouble until I did the last upgrade, it now shows Version 1.5.0.7, and then it has worked with all secure sites. You guys are making me a little uncomfortable with trying the new version. Hate to mess up what is already working.

I had trouble until I did the last upgrade, it now shows Version 1.5.0.7, and then it has worked with all secure sites. You guys are making me a little uncomfortable with trying the new version. Hate to mess up what is already working.

Just tried my Bangkok Bank account with FF 1.5.0.7 and still says 'must have IE 5.0 or above'. I removed my IE tab extension first to test it. With the IE tab extension installed it automatically determines the site requires IE and works fine. So should be no problem. The funny thing is I had it (IE tab) already and forgot about it so was using an IE compliant browser, which seems I don't need now after all. :o

Firefox 2.0 bug hunt getting into gear

Microsoft had to deal with the first security issues of Internet Explorer 7.0 on the first day of the browser's release. Firefox appears to be ok as of now, but Italian website Pianeta PC, claims that a security hole that was already patched for 1.x versions of Firefox is resurfacing in 2.0 - and allows malignant programmers to create Javascript code that causes the browser to crash.

According to ZDNet, however, Mozilla claims there is no cause for alarm. "The exploitable issues are fixed. There is a crash, but it is a denial of service. We're going to look at it and make sure there is really nothing there," said Window Snyder, Mozilla's security chief, who said all minor security rumors for 2.0 at this point have been "just noise."

ZDNet also reported on a possible flaw in 2.0 that could be manipulated by hackers to create an open avenue for identity theft, mainly through phishing, even though Mozilla has said that Firefox 2.0 has strong protection against phishing scams. Snyder claims there's not enough evidence to prove an actual problem. "We don't have enough information to identify it. If we get more information, then we will investigate," she said.

The release of Firefox 2.0 on Tuesday came after a several-month process of previewing early builds of the site and an exhaustive process of finding bugs and fixing them, as well as letting users search for security holes and reporting them to the development team. "We fixed more issues than we ever have before. All empirical and anecdotal evidence so far shows that this is one of the most solid and stable Firefox releases," said Mike Schroepfer, Mozilla's vice president of engineering.

On my Firefox 1.5.0.7 I clicked on “Check for Updates” just now and got the information that no new updates are available. I think I’ll bide my time until my Firefox updates automatically.

---------------

Maestro

I've been web developing as part of my job for years now, so I always have to keep all these browsers installed. Firefox has the best standards compliance (though IE7 may catch IE back up, not sure yet), but I still use Maxthon - an IE shell. The beef I have with FireFox is the slow but steady memory leak. When you have to keep a browser open in addition to Photoshop, Illustrator and whatever else for hours on end that really irks you. They elected not to fix this in 2.0, but I've got it installed and I'm playing with it to see if it's any better. There's a goofy little workaround for it, but it doesn't seem to help me too much. Then there are the people who tout it as a caching "feature," heh. If you can drink kool aid on browser choice - whatever your preference - then you've got serious attachment issues.

Anyway, for the casual browser it's the better of the two and it's more standards compliant at the moment, so I usually recommend it when someone asks which to use though, personally, I'm still in love with Maxthon. Also it's handy for development at times, what with the web dev toolbar. Here's to hoping they fix the "feature" so I can swich over full time.

he beef I have with FireFox is the slow but steady memory leak. When you have to keep a browser open in addition to Photoshop, Illustrator and whatever else for hours on end that really irks you. They elected not to fix this in 2.0, but I've got it installed and I'm playing with it to see if it's any better. There's a goofy little workaround for it, but it doesn't seem to help me too much. Then there are the people who tout it as a caching "feature," heh.

Don't know why they don't correct it, been there for a long time. And you are right, some say it is a feature in it is used to cache history of the separate tabs. Well, I have 4 tabs open now and FF is taken 200 MBytes of memory. Fortunately I have 2GB so not a big issue, but users with 256-512, would think that would take a bite out of their performance. The "fix" (limiting memory caching) just offloads the problem to swap if I remember right, slowing it down even more. But still, I don't see a performance hit on my computer. Also, my browser is usually up all day long and others who only run it for short terms won't notice it.

Interesting, I just dropped one tab and it cleared 50MB of memory but closing the other two did nothing.

Have been using FF2 since it's early release. Pleased with it overall, but agree that the memory usage by tabs can be inconsistent. However, the out of the box spell checker is of great use, and it can also be amended to provide British English easily, though one can still semantically up-cock :o

Using IE7 on another box and found it to be still clunky, with slower rendering than FF, in my view.

One 'add-in' question for FF2, anyone know if one can replicate the standard 1.5.x behavior of being able to switch off cookies from other pages? It was a selection on the Options Dialog but is there no longer in FF2.

Regards

OK firefox fans, I have a question for you. I gave up on ie and started using firefox with version 1.0 on my windows 98 machine a while ago, and have had no problems although I know that am bouncing right up against the absolute minimum system requirements. I am not sure if my machine is going to be able to handle version 2.0. BTY maestro, firefox will start auto updating the new version begining of november because they are finishing up another update for version 1.5 and when that is ready auto update will be offering both the updated version 1.5.0.8 as well as 2.0, giving us a choice of which one we want. So my question to you guys who have using the new version for a while, when the time comes and auto update gives me this choice, do you think my computer will be able to handle it and I should go with 2.0, or should I just keep what I know still works and go with the updated 1.5.0.8 and forget about trying to update it anymore. I really don't think that version 2.0 is going to be around very long because version 3.0 is right around the corner, and they have made it clear that windows 98 will no longer be supported. As long as this computer continues working I am going to continue using it, and when it finally does die it will get the proper burial that it deserves for giving me years of dependable service.

I have just downloaded it and must say that it is impressive, but I prefer the Netscape 8.1. I don't seem to be able to find the volume control when listening to BBC websites. Also does anyone know how to configure so that it opens a new tab, each time you open a new bookmark. I agree with a a previous poster, that it was perhaps an inept move on Mr Gates' part to restrict the new IE7 to those who have a legit copy of Windows. He has virtually reduced the potential user base, by at least 25% if not more. Hey he doesn't need the money though does he? :o