I think retiring in Thailand is a really bad idea

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... mainly for me is being able to order off of a French restaurant menu.

In LOS....blink.png

They have French restaurants here, you know...

So JCC and his bird are the only ones knowing what they will eat.........laugh.png

The Sorbonne is in Paris. Two things I enjoy as a Yank living in Thailand are not owning a car (which I did for 30+ years before moving here) and many days not speaking even a word of English. I know guys living here have many reasons for not learning to speak Thai, but one of the the things they miss out on is: It's a lot of fun to be able to speak with Thai persons who do not speak any English.

Edited by JLCrab

Before I make any strong commitment to stay here, I have to thoroughly check out Spain and Vietnam. I liked the Philippines way back when I was there and the girlies are pretty fun to be around. Lao girls are very cute too, but not sure I could live in Laos..

Can't say for sure what my priorities will be after turning 65, maybe traveling around the states in an airstream with a young asian woman....5555

We're only here one time, might as well bang it up.

I like not having a home, a house full of possessions and all the responsibilities that go with that. Some of you call it burning your bridges I called it getting rid of my ball and chain.
When I was 19 living in Hawaii I knew I wanted to retire in asia and live life wearing a t-shirt, shorts and flip flops and that's just what I'm doing.

Before I make any strong commitment to stay here, I have to thoroughly check out Spain and Vietnam. I liked the Philippines way back when I was there and the girlies are pretty fun to be around. Lao girls are very cute too, but not sure I could live in Laos..

Can't say for sure what my priorities will be after turning 65, maybe traveling around the states in an airstream with a young asian woman....5555

We're only here one time, might as well bang it up.

I like not having a home, a house full of possessions and all the responsibilities that go with that. Some of you call it burning your bridges I called it getting rid of my ball and chain.

When I was 19 living in Hawaii I knew I wanted to retire in asia and live life wearing a t-shirt, shorts and flip flops and that's just what I'm doing.

I can't argue with that.

The Sorbonne is in Paris. Two things I enjoy as a Yank living in Thailand are not owning a car (which I did for 30+ years before moving here) and many days not speaking even a word of English. I know guys living here have many reasons for not learning to speak Thai, but one of the the things they miss out on is: It's a lot of fun to be able to speak with Thai persons who do not speak any English.

one has to wonder why not owning a car is such a big thing for you ?

one has to wonder why not owning a car is such a big thing for you ?

Owning a car or pickup and driving in Thailand is part of the adventure. Also, it's the one thing along with motorcycle I can have in my name.

I might just move to Philippinz. I'm reading you can even own a house to your name once you're married. And the chicks are hotter. I am sure the expat forums are more polite too. Heck, I might even be able to speak English to a woman again. Oh.... Wait..... I got married. Guess just have to join the rest of miserable expats here.

Well i am moving there,cheaper ,cooler climate,and the people can speak English,my girlfriend when to high school and college and can speak perfect English,also not an ex bar girl,,bohol island,pretty quite place,nice beaches,if you want the big city,Cebu is a short ferry ride away.

5555 Guess it didn't

work out with the wife,

hm? Never mind, move

on, marry another one

and build her a house

too, marko 555

I live in a city with often horrific traffic, where taxis will take you pretty much any place for a hundred baht or so. Why the hell would I want to own a car?

'Part of the adventure'? Please.

Easy SB, Not all live in Bangkok. I've been owning my own car since I was 15. Gives a man a sense of freedom. At the least you should own a motorbike even if you call Bangkok home.

I should own a motorbike? Why? I can flag down a passing car almost anywhere in town and be driven to anywhere else in town for a quid or two, without needing to stay sober, and without the risk of the cops shaking me down for a few hundred baht every other day. Why would I want a motorbike?

I should own a motorbike? Why? I can flag down a passing car almost anywhere in town and be driven to anywhere else in town for a quid or two, without needing to stay sober, and without the risk of the cops shaking me down for a few hundred baht every other day. Why would I want a motorbike?

Sort of like me asking you, Why would anyone want to live in Bangkok?

Why do those who don't like cities so often feel the need to attack those who do?

We don't have to all like the same things. You live where you choose, I'll live where I choose. Why do you need to tell me I'm wrong?

I live in a city with often horrific traffic, where taxis will take you pretty much any place for a hundred baht or so. Why the hell would I want to own a car?

with this statement, it implies you will never or don't desire to travel outside the city. If you do, you will dependent on the silver vans of death or taxi or bus. You can't ever take that winding country road up to the mountain and sit along the river with the girlie friend and have a nice ....

spending the day out exploring the countryside is good therapy.

when i lived in the city, i almost never drove... took the bus or train and loved it. but, i have to have at least a motorcycle for fun and more freedom.

with this statement, it implies you will never or don't desire to travel outside the city. If you do, you will dependent on the silver vans of death or taxi or bus. You can't ever take that winding country road up to the mountain and sit along the river with the girlie friend and have a nice ....

when i lived in the city, i almost never drove... took the bus or train and loved it. but, i have to have at least a motorcycle for fun and more freedom.

I guess you're unfamiliar with the concept of the hire car?

I guess you're unfamiliar with the concept of the hire car?

do you use it?

Bigger cities are also safer.

Rarely I read a story here of whitey being attacked in bangkok by a gang (red light districts might be an exception).

No desire to leave the big city and live in the anals of Thailand.

I highly suspect that statistics would prove you wrong on this one.

And this isnt trying to provoke the older / retired people here is it, not trying to "stir it" at all eh whistling.gif

If he really knows thai culture maturity and stability trumps youth and a hard dick. Dont worry its a never ending debate which 10 years from now he will flip-flop. I feel sorry for his thai girl friend. What foreigners dont understand is marriage is important in this culture. Boinking is something thai girls can do without. DICK SIZE IS WORSHIPED BY CHINESE WOMEN. HERE NOODLES ARE THE STAPLE...

I think your understanding of Chinese women is all wrong. They worship money, not dick size.