Good pre-roasted chicken / portions (take away)?

SooKee

For those who live near the Old City, there is excellent grilled chicken on Nimman soi 11, next to Dayli. The large grill is at the front of the restaurant facing the street.

It's only open from 9:00 am to around noon or so (every day, I think) and sells whole grilled chickens, grilled wings on a stick, and grilled chicken breast meat, along with various side dishes.

Whole chickens are 150 thb. This morning I purchased three breast meat portions, wings on a stick, and one order of som tam - 100 thb.

Eat there or take away (they do a lot of take away). Owners are originally from Phetchabun.

Now THAT I will try tomorrow :)

Edited by SooKee

Might have a look out there tomorrow. Looked at Big C Mae Hia today and have to say they looked a bit scabby there. I went really late in the day though as I was busy earlier and just thought I'd look on the off chance. Didn't look very appetising at all.

BigC Mae Hia is scabby at best of times ... hopeless store/management. Can only hope the Chang buyout will see some radical changes in due course.

Ahh. Good news about the buy out then. Must admit the few times I've been there I thought it was terrible compared to the one I used to use in Phuket. Bakery - crap. Dairy selection - crap. General choice and variety - crap.

The Big C on the Superhighway (that used to be Carrefore) is much better stocked with Farang-friendly goodies. Surprisingly good cheese section, and even more surprising, affordable.

That's interesting then. Must admit I thought it was odd when I moved here just how different and how limited the variety was in Mae Hia branch compared to Phuket, quite a let down.

Don't often find myself out on the Super Highway, esp since coming back on it the first time I missed the turn off near Promenada and ended up in the middle of nowhere with a ride that seemed to go on for ever back Mae Hia / Hangdong 5555. I'll have to go out and give it a try though and pay more attention to the exit next time. I'm sure it's not that far out but after that time it just felt like it was miles out.

What's the score with the Chang take over at Mae Hia? Is it imminent? Has it happened? Wonder if it will be a gradual process or if they'll shut and reopen?

Edited by SooKee

BigC JungCeylon was a Carrefour, same as our BigC Extra on SuperHighway. The deal concludes on or about March 31 ... Google ...

Big C stake sold to Thai TCC

I see. Never really looked at supermarket ownership. Just gathered they were all owned by Big C. So it will still be a Big C? Presumably it's a franchise name then, bit like Kasikorn bank where every branch operates differently?

Thanks. I'll try the Mae Hia market. Sounds just the job!! Great if it's good quality and fresh and will survive the fridge a few days. Just to be sure I've got the RIGHT market (as there seems to be several about) it's the market between Samakhi School and 700 Years Road right?

I've been to Big C dozens of times but for the life of me can't recall whether it does rotisserie chicken. Never been looking for it before but can't say I've ever seen it there. Maybe it's just the one on the Super Highway that does it.

Mae Hia market - from the Big C/Home Pro go towards Canal Road. You have to turn on Canal so turn left. You will see cars parked diagonally on the left. The market is there. There is a Rim Ping Market further down.

Great. Cheers. That's the one I was thinking of. There's a few markets scattered around so wanted to make sure I was going for the right one. Picked a chicken up from Big C on Super Highway the other day, very nice, a world apart from what's on offer at Mae Hia. Tried to get one from the place at Nimman Soi 11 next door to Dayli but went on a Monday - closed. Will there again tomorrow and also Mae Hia Market, likely later today.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all the help here I pretty much got my chicken supply sorted.

Big C on Super Highway currently scores top for me. Big fresh and juicy. Not scabby and dried out like Mae Hia.

Went to Mae Hia market today but was unlucky to go the only day the 5 Star roast chicken place was closed :( Will try again there. It'd be handy as it's a lot closer than the Big C If the chicken is the only thing I'm going for. The Chiang Mai sausage was the best I've ever had. Bought one to take home. Ate it as I walked round. Went and bought a bigger one. Put it straight in the bike this time or that would've been gone too!! The 5 Star fried chicken was open but I only tend to eat that rarely, more often with the Muslim kao mok style rice. Fried no use for salads.

Looked at the chicken place next to Dayli at Nimman area. Tried it. Very nice but it's bbq chicken cooked more in a spatchcook style. Not really what I'm after for salad use as the cooking style dries it out more. Very nice though. And useful to bear in mind if looking for cooked chicken to be used that day. Or as a street snack.

Looked at Tesco at Mae Hia and didn't like the look of the chickens there. That said, I've never liked the look of much of the food in Tesco anyway, here or in Malaysia, and especially their 'fresh' meat, poultry and fish. Just doesn't look a safe or hygienic way to store such produce for sale. Especially with people putting their grubby paws all over the stuff.

Edited by SooKee