Writing and Printing on GBP and Euros

Is this new or have we just escaped it in the past?

Wife came back from Europe Thursday with wedge of 20 and 50 GBP notes and a quantity of Euros. All got from UK and French ATMs.

Thai banks have apparently decided they won't accept notes that have either extraneous writing or printing on them. Not had this problem before. English and European banks and companies write all over notes-mainly a calculation of sum. I know Thai banks don't like "damaged" notes so I usually get pristine notes from the bank. Reason for this? KBank and BKK say UK and EU banks won't accept them back. Rubbish. What's the real reason, anyone?

Anyway beware! When you are down to your last 500 Euro note on Sukhumvit be sure it has not got lipstick or 1+1=2 on it!

Edited by laolover88

I change mine at Super Rich. They are quite fussy. No holes, tears, writing or stains.

Sometimes they are a bit more lenient with the writing, which I think has something to do with how badly they want a certain currency (ie low stockpile plus demand).

US currency has had to be pristine to be accepted by Thai banks and money changers for a long time now.

I always thought it was a scam by US banks and/or government.

Maybe not.

I also had problems exchanging slightly damaged US bills in Thailand. When ever we come to Thailand we always go to the bank and get new Bills, we explain the why and they are always helpful.

Every time I had damaged bills I simply tried different banks, eventually some one exchanged them. but it was a hustle.

whistling.gif Years ago the Iranian government was deliberately counterfeiting U.S. Dollars.....especially U.S. $100 bills.

The Iranians were circulating these bills in the middle east .....mainly Saudi Arabia.

Those of us who worked there were very careful to get only clean an new U.S. dollar bills before coming to Thailand on our vacation trips.

The dollar bills have now have been redesigned and the new bulls are much more difficult to counterfeit.

500 Euro notes are the current choice of the experienced and technically smart counterfeiter.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

whistling.gif Years ago the Iranian government was deliberately counterfeiting U.S. Dollars.....especially U.S. $100 bills.

The Iranians were circulating these bills in the middle east .....mainly Saudi Arabia.

Those of us who worked there were very careful to get only clean an new U.S. dollar bills before coming to Thailand on our vacation trips.

The dollar bills have now have been redesigned and the new bulls are much more difficult to counterfeit.

500 Euro notes are the current choice of the experienced and technically smart counterfeiter.

Were the counterfeit notes not clean and very new ?

"Years ago the Iranian government was deliberately counterfeiting U.S. Dollars.....especially U.S. $100 bills."

as opposed to others who accidentally counterfeit US currency?laugh.png

Only kidding IM_FARANG picking on your use of the word "deliberately"