Thai Girl, 6, Accused Of Being A Loan Shark

george

Girl, 6, accused of being a loan shark

A couple in this southern province were shocked to receive a notice saying that their six-year-old daughter had been registered as a loan shark by the northern province of Nakhon Sawan.

The girl's father, Banjong Jongrak who lives in Krabi's Muang district, said yesterday that he had received an official letter from Saneh Khongpaen, chief of Nakhon Sawan's Chumsaeng district demanding Banjong's six-year-old daughter, Namtip, report to the district chief.

The letter was dated February 21 and addressed Namtip as "Khun Namtip" as if she was an adult.

According to Banjoing, the letter said that Namtip had been named during registration for the poverty-eradication scheme in Chumsaeng earlier this year as an influential moneylender.

The letter threatened to conduct an investigation of Namtip if she failed to report to the Chumsaeng district chief to give details about her loans.

"We were shocked to read the letter. The Khun Namtip mentioned in the Chumsaeng district letter is my six-year-old girl, who goes to kindergarten," Banjong said.

He said he had called Saneh immediately to tell him that his daughter could not be a loan shark as claimed in the letter but so far the Chumsaeng district chief had not said whether her name had been removed from the list.

"I would like to complain to the prime minister through the media that the poverty-registration programme has caused trouble instead of helping the poor," Banjong said.

But Saneh said yesterday that he would not remove Namtip's name from the database of moneylenders until he received a formal explanation.

"I can't remove the name because the name mentioned by the poor people is a real name. I need to check and verify first. If it is a mistake, I'll write to the family again and apologise," Saneh said.

Sophon Suwankharaj, assistant district chief of Krabi's Muang district, said Banjong had sought help from his district administration but he could not help because the database belonged to Chumsaeng district.

Sophon said the father needed to write a letter of explanation with a copy of Namtip's birth certificate and identity number to the Chumsaeng district to affirm that she was a child.

Sophon said it was possible the girl happened to have the same name and surname as someone else and the Chumsaeng district had matched the name with the girl's household registration.

--

Guest IT Manager

First the drug issue, registration/reporting then death.

Second the Dark Influences Issue.. registration, then jail or death

Third the Poverty Issue.. Registration then..... ?

TiT. TYT.

come on, she's as guilty as that hardened criminal 9 year old who maliciously crashed his push bike into a taxi and ended up in jail until his parents paid the damages. :o

Somebody say sommat about "rough justice"? :D It's time for about a thousand Donal Macintyre's to get active methinks. Which reminds me, anybody ever see that episode he did on drugs in Thailand and he went over the border to Burma and got a bit too close to a yaabaa factory and the militia started shooting at him. Borderline frolics - loadsafun. :D