More foreigners caught on overstay

webfact

Syrian Alla Mzeal, 30, was found walking near Soi 18 and Second Road on Feb. 25. He had overstayed 487 days.

So they are now stopping people at random in the streets ?

Nice and friendly, how many tourists were stopped before they

come up with this guy ? ( crime of the century ) coffee1.gif

It could be a bit like a Magic show.

You don't see what the other hand is up to. whistling.gif

If it helps to get rid of people who are taking the p*ss and overstaying, then I'm happy to be stopped once a day as it happens. The fact of the matter is that many of them are criminals in their own right. Send them back home I say.

For your own convenience, would you support introducing some sort of national data base, and a small, unintrucive id number or a scannable bar code tattood on your arm, that makes the daily road checks smoother, and more efficent for both you, and authorities?

I would. In the same way that I would have supported ID cards in the UK. If you have nothing to hide then I see no problem. This is with the proviso that the information is limited to that which is necessary.

Those preaching a breach of civil liberties are invariably the ones who have breached someone else's civil liberties!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Syrian Alla Mzeal, 30, was found walking near Soi 18 and Second Road on Feb. 25. He had overstayed 487 days.

If it helps to get rid of people who are taking the p*ss and overstaying, then I'm happy to be stopped once a day as it happens. The fact of the matter is that many of them are criminals in their own right. Send them back home I say.

For your own convenience, would you support introducing some sort of national data base, and a small, unintrucive id number or a scannable bar code tattood on your arm, that makes the daily road checks smoother, and more efficent for both you, and authorities?

A tiresome over reaction, not unexpected of course, but in retrospect, yes, maybe you have some good ideas. A credit card sized ID card containing the farang's current immigration status seems far more convenient than carrying ones passport (not required in law by the way), or a copy of your passport, or the possible inconvenience of having to produce your passport within a period of time. With respect to the rather amusing idea of having an unobtrusive (notice the correct spelling) ID number or bar code being tattooed on your arm, that would bring with it the problems of actually finding some space for an extra tattoo on the arms of many of the people we are talking about!

In my country my married partner would have the same rights as me. Like social welfare, right to stay and getting his/her own passport in about 5 years becoming a national.

In Thailand, even if married, you have to do ridiculous reporting and if your wife/partner dies you may have big problems staying whether or not you have kids...

Everyone having a go at people who stay here with or without visa are self-righteous AHoles...just mind your own business and let other people tend to their own.

I was once one of those overstaying and I was worried but cleared this "crime of the century" at the airport and came back attending my family. Anyone seeing this as a thing to deport me can come and say it to my face. Do not expect nice reply.

Seems most TV members being holier-than-thou have never experiences drawbacks or bad moments in their lives. If they would have lived and seen life a bit more perhaps they wouldn't be such tight-assed variety?

From Thailand back to Syria after being here on overstay for 487 days. Depending on

where he is from he may not have mush to go back to. Best of luck to the dude.

I am surprised he did not claim refugee status. coffee1.gif

Thailand is not a signatory to the convention on refugees, they will not even allow refugees to travel to the border of a country that will accept them. Thailand used to take a lot of refugees, from Myanmar, Laos, China, Vietnam, etc, but not anymore, now they all get sent back to their home country, even if it is a war zone.

e more important

its a big nothing. coffee1.gif

Loads more impotent things could be done.

one big zero coffee1.gif

A country actually starting to enforce it's laws is something more than a "big nothing".

It won't last, I am sure, but any law enforcement is a step in the right direction in Thailand.

I would have thought that it would be more important to enforce certain other laws which could save the lives of so many. e.g. many of the ignored traffic laws.

they do what they do, Im not sure why this topic touches such a raw nerve with people that dont have to worry about it. whats sadder, a person on overstay or a person not on overstay but whose life is so nonexistent they spend their time getting upset about unknown persons on overstay?

Edited by phycokiller

....I do everything legally while in Thailand. Always have. I was a day overstay only once in 12 years and that was the fault of the Visa company even after they assured me they would not be late for the border run. It was awhile ago and since that sting I've never believed anything anyone says since. Even my lawyer. I do the driving on all my Visa runs.

I'm not being self righteous, belligerent, pompous or what have you. I'm obeying the law. Which is spelled out for all of us working/living in this country quite clearly. (debatable ha ha)

It indeed does rile me up quite a lot to read of people who chose to ignore the line up. You know that feeling when your at a bank or movie and someone just walks to the front of the queue, right in front of you. Same.

I travel once a year to re-new my one Year visa, I travel three more times to re-new my visa, spending a fair amount of baht doing so. The cost of having a Lawyer and paperwork fees incurred are just part of doing business here. I'm not going into details, it's my business.

I don't find it all particularly bothersome. I've been doing it for quite some time. I've actually learned over the years how to trim some of the fat and make things quite simpler in time and cost.

I'm starting to see things in Thailand that don't make sense and I never saw it even five years ago. Food businesses with NO Thai's operating. I mean only "Caucasian" looking foreigners serving alcohol and food in their small bar/restaurant. Totally against the law here but I'm seeing it more and more these days. Foreigners building houses, doing carpentry, concrete work...ect ect....list goes on. These are jobs not allowed in the list provided by the government. These workers are NOT working on their home(s)

There are a lot of Musicians, Photographers, Fire Dancers, Dj's, shop workers, Scuba Divers, Guides, Cooks, on and on working here illegally not doing what I've been (and a lot of others of course) doing every year and NOT paying taxes and not being fair to the ones who have waited patiently in line for their rightful turn.

I feel, specially, if what they are doing illegally is affecting MY BUSINESS directly i.e taking customers away from my Legal business, then it is an affront to my honest business acumen.

So wait in line.....pay for your Visa. Do it right....

....I do everything legally while in Thailand. Always have. I was a day overstay only once in 12 years

Contradicting yourself in first sentence. If I would be holier-than-thou it doesn't matter who's fault it was, you broke the law!

I'm not being self righteous, belligerent, pompous or what have you. I'm obeying the law.

Just feeling tad better than the rest of us then, I suppose? You would stand naked on your head if that would be the law. I got it.

It indeed does rile me up quite a lot to read of people who chose to ignore the line up. You know that feeling when your at a bank or movie and someone just walks to the front of the queue, right in front of you. Same.

In case they don't do visa runs they definitely do walk in front of you taking your place. You seem to enjoy queues. Hope they change the law so you must do it every week and pay just a bit more. All for your safety and convenience, of course.

I feel, specially, if what they are doing illegally is affecting MY BUSINESS directly i.e taking customers away from my Legal business, then it is an affront to my honest business acumen.

So, why don't you go and point them out to related authority? Out of your kindness? Or you aren't sure about their legal status? In my experience, similar businesses enhance the overall financial activity. That is, if your business in up to the competition and provides good product/service.

For such a law abiding citizen, you seem to concentrate awfully a lot to other people's affairs and making accusations. I'd suggest going out a bit more and enjoy your life. You can't teach others to live theirs.

Human nature is a wonder, I hold a British passport, he holds an American, he a Canadian, He an Aus, He A German, He a French and on and on and we all think we should be entitled to go wherever we want. But him, him, him. him, they should stay home not be let out, There was a flying swami, who made his own passport, called it Citizen of the World. and you know what? he went everywhere with it, including USA, BrItain

OK, kiddies, so do we NOW see WHY overstayers hurt EVERYBODY?? They furnish the pretext for such random stops and scrutiny, and all that goes with them.

OK, kiddies, so do we NOW see WHY overstayers hurt EVERYBODY?? They furnish the pretext for such random stops and scrutiny, and all that goes with them.

ok dad, but passports have been checked the last year on the pretext of "bombers", and how does having you passport checked hurt if you are legal?

ok dad, but passports have been checked the last year on the pretext of "bombers", and how does having you passport checked hurt if you are legal?

Do you have ANY idea how many threads exist here on TVF debating the requirement to carry your passport on you (vs photocopies, laminated copies, etc.)? If you win the lottery and draw a cop who sees a cash opportunity in your not having your actual passport on you, that might kind of hurt. And we're not really talking about the "bomber" pretext anyway, we're talking about the "overstayer" pretext. Read the topic title. Yeah, up there, near the top of the page: "Replying to More foreigners caught on overstay". Nice try at a deflection though.

Who determines what is 'minor stuff'? The offenders?

If police started investigating whether retirees really have 800k in savings at all times or 65k monthly income for their visa extensions, instead of using various tricks and loopholes to get around the requirements, half the forum would be up in arms saying oh it's so minor, not really a serious crime etc. etc.

You don't need it at ALL TIMES only 3 months before renewal.

You don't even need to show that you spend one baht after renewal

I agree that is what the immigration law says. However, I have read recent stories of foreigners being scrutinized because the 800k baht money was never touched and there was no record of money coming into Thailand so the authorities were asking just how the person pays for things or makes money.

Who determines what is 'minor stuff'? The offenders?

If police started investigating whether retirees really have 800k in savings at all times or 65k monthly income for their visa extensions, instead of using various tricks and loopholes to get around the requirements, half the forum would be up in arms saying oh it's so minor, not really a serious crime etc. etc.

You don't need it at ALL TIMES only 3 months before renewal.

You don't even need to show that you spend one baht after renewal

I agree that is what the immigration law says. However, I have read recent stories of foreigners being scrutinized because the 800k baht money was never touched and there was no record of money coming into Thailand so the authorities were asking just how the person pays for things or makes money.

Very reasonable questions ........ and the same or similar questions are being asked of those with smallish incomes and large bank deposits who seek retirement extensions on the basis of income + bank deposit !

No demonstrable income or movement of cash then how is a person funding their stay ?

The scammers will, gradually, be squeezed out but unfortunately the "scammers" behaviour results in everyone being scrutinised.

A similar "scam" involved the widely abused Ed visa ------------now the genuine student suffers.

300 days over overstay = 300 days of crime. Most overstayers have a criminal background with an interpol red or amber flag, or are on the run from the law, or are committing crimes here such as fraud or theft. They are stupid and insulting the system here out of arrogance. They work and don't pay tax- they contribute nothing but think they are above the law.

How are you so sure of that? Are you one of them? Did you do research on the subject? Try talking out of your mouth, not your ass! coffee1.gif

Yes I have known quite a few in India and in Thailand, many were on the run from the law, from conscription, were junkies and petty thieves, criminals and beggars. It is because I know this that I submitted my opinion to the thread. Too overstay for hundreds of days demonstrates a contempt for the law which is why criminals often overstay. They are law breakers. If you live for for hundreds of days without sorting t he matter out you are making a daily conscious decision to live as an illegal and a parasite. They are not tourists or 'over stayers' but they are illegal immigrants. That is why they are being rounded up. Good. I suggest you get a bit more life experience before advising people as to the validity of their opinions. Given the current security problems with international terrorism it is essential for all our sakes that illegal immigrants living beneath the radar get dealt with. It is Thai law and it is not a harsh law. It is very reasonable and the punishment mild. Please get off your high horse about these undeserving, over entitled criminals.

I am quite experienced, even though I don't post many postings here. I've been in the 'monkey-house' in Bangkok, have you? What I saw were mostly poor bastards who for one reason or the other run out of money, generated overstay and weren't able to get it fixed. Then the misery of overstaying accumulates and goes from days to week to months to years.

I saw an elderly man at the monkey-house, a Norwegian guy, about 75 years old and not in his right mind, although he was not violent, just a harmless old geezer. No money, no family, just waiting there already for many months. He was being harassed by staff and other detainees alike, the poor bastard... A criminal? You would make me laugh, if it wasn't so sad...

I'm sure that you are partially right, there will be criminals among the over-stayers, but how many, or how few? None of us knows but it's easy to assume that all over-stayers are hardened criminals. But are they? All of them?

And terrorists? Give me a break!! The terrorists who caused havoc were all here on legitimate visa's! Of course they were, they couldn't take the chance to get arrested for overstay!

All I'm saying is that we shouldn't paint everyone with the same brush...

Do you have ANY idea how many threads exist here on TVF debating the requirement to carry your passport on you (vs photocopies, laminated copies, etc.)? If you win the lottery and draw a cop who sees a cash opportunity in your not having your actual passport on you, that might kind of hurt. And we're not really talking about the "bomber" pretext anyway, we're talking about the "overstayer" pretext. Read the topic title. Yeah, up there, near the top of the page: "Replying to More foreigners caught on overstay". Nice try at a deflection though.

caught on overstay but no evidence thats what they were being checked out for, in fact evidence to the contrary

I would like to get something off my chest.. Living in Thailand already for quite some years I hear many times people ranting about the Royal Thai Police and the Thai Immigration Officers.

I am one of those people who had generated overstay, the why and how long is of no importance for this posting. Suffice to say that it was a quite a long overstay..

Last month I decided to go to Bangkok and present myself to the Thai Immigration and confess to having overstay. I was questioned and allowed to stay at my hotel until deportation. Every Immigration Officer I met was polite and respectful to me! I was absolutely not treated as a criminal and no one looked down on me! After two days I was deported back to my home country, such is the law.

After I took care of business in my home country I was allowed back in Thailand without any problems, so now I'm back, legally, and I will of course do my utmost best to never generate overstay again. I came to live in Thailand in 2007, I consider Thailand as my new homeland. Before living here I came some ten years on holidays to Thailand.. Never ever did I experience bad or patronizing behaviour from the RTP of Immigration Officers!

Why not? Not sure, but maybe because I show respect, the same respect that I like to receive from others. When I'm stopped because I'm not wearing a helmet I stay polite and pay the fine. I f*cked up, not the guy who stopped me!

I love Thailand and I hope to die here, in the very far future..

In the time that I went to Bangkok, to my home country and back to Thailand I actually only met two *ssholes! Two civil servants.. Dutch people from my home country!! The Thai officials that I dealt with were all polite, respectful, helpful and friendly..

It's easy to rant, but there are so many good people here in Thailand! Not every Thai Official is an *sshole, many of them are good people too... Show respect, and they will give you respect. Thai people are many times referred to as being dumb and Monkeys! If you feel like that, then why the hell are you in Thailand? Go back to your own country if you feel like that. Nobody is forcing you to stay..

I love Thailand! Deciding to come here to live my life has been one of the best decisions I ever made! If I weren't an atheist I would thank god to be back here, were my life and my home is rolleyes.gif

Edit: A friend of mine pointed out that I made it look very easy to get rid of overstay. This is absolutely not true! Overstay is a big problem, starting tomorrow it will be even a much bigger problem as the new law will apply. Starting the 20th overstay will result in getting banned to enter Thailand, sometimes up to 10 year!! I had to jump through many loops to get my shit sorted out! But that was not the point I wanted to make. I just wanted to tell you that I've met some good people while taking care of my shit, Immigration Officers who really helped me to make it possible for me to return to my beloved Thailand.

Edited by SamuiAxe

I would like to get something off my chest.. Living in Thailand already for quite some years I hear many times people ranting about the Royal Thai Police and the Thai Immigration Officers.

I am one of those people who had generated overstay, the why and how long is of no importance for this posting. Suffice to say that it was a quite a long overstay..

Last month I decided to go to Bangkok and present myself to the Thai Immigration and confess to having overstay. I was questioned and allowed to stay at my hotel until deportation. Every Immigration Officer I met was polite and respectful to me! I was absolutely not treated as a criminal and no one looked down on me! After two days I was deported back to my home country, such is the law.

After I took care of business in my home country I was allowed back in Thailand without any problems, so now I'm back, legally, and I will of course do my utmost best to never generate overstay again. I came to live in Thailand in 2007, I consider Thailand as my new homeland. Before living here I came some ten years on holidays to Thailand.. Never ever did I experience bad or patronizing behaviour from the RTP of Immigration Officers!

Why not? Not sure, but maybe because I show respect, the same respect that I like to receive from others. When I'm stopped because I'm not wearing a helmet I stay polite and pay the fine. I f*cked up, not the guy who stopped me!

I love Thailand and I hope to die here, in the very far future..

In the time that I went to Bangkok, to my home country and back to Thailand I actually only met two *ssholes! Two civil servants.. Dutch people from my home country!! The Thai officials that I dealt with were all polite, respectful, helpful and friendly..

It's easy to rant, but there are so many good people here in Thailand! Not every Thai Official is an *sshole, many of them are good people too... Show respect, and they will give you respect. Thai people are many times referred to as being dumb and Monkeys! If you feel like that, then why the hell are you in Thailand? Go back to your own country if you feel like that. Nobody is forcing you to stay..

I love Thailand! Deciding to come here to live my life has been one of the best decisions I ever made! If I weren't an atheist I would thank god to be back here, were my life and my home is rolleyes.gif

Edit: A friend of mine pointed out that I made it look very easy to get rid of overstay. This is absolutely not true! Overstay is a big problem, starting tomorrow it will be even a much bigger problem as the new law will apply. Starting the 20th overstay will result in getting banned to enter Thailand, sometimes up to 10 year!! I had to jump through many loops to get my shit sorted out! But that was not the point I wanted to make. I just wanted to tell you that I've met some good people while taking care of my shit, Immigration Officers who really helped me to make it possible for me to return to my beloved Thailand.

whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I suppose I could expect some people to laugh about my posting. But I really don't care what any utterly insignificant internetter thinks about my posting.. Have a nice life Tolley wink.png

Why did you take the risk of going to immigration in Bangkok ?

when you could have just gone to the airport and paid the 20,000 and left on a aeroplane when you wanted to go. w00t.gif

Or have you left a little bit out of the story ? whistling.gif

Edited by onemorechang

I suppose I could expect some people to laugh about my posting. But I really don't care what any utterly insignificant internetter thinks about my posting.. Have a nice life Tolley wink.png

when you could have just gone to the airport and paid the 20,000 and left on a aeroplane when you wanted to go. w00t.gif

Of course I left out some things that are no one's concern, but that doesn't change what I wrote wink.png To answer your question: Although I would probably not have been blacklisted there is always a chance that upon returning to Thailand I would be refused to re-enter Thailand. It is the prerogative of the Immigrations officer to deny entry! If he or she is having a bad day than I could be <deleted> That is why I went to the Immigrations office: To tell my story, get things done properly and ensure that I would be allowed to return to Thailand. Now I'm back, legally and not having a worry in the world. That's why my friend....

Edited by Rimmer

Of course I left out some things that are no one's concern, but that doesn't change what I wrote wink.png To answer your question: Although I would probably not have been blacklisted there is always a chance that upon returning to Thailand I would be refused to re-enter Thailand. It is the prerogative of the Immigrations officer to deny entry! If he or she is having a bad day than I could be <deleted> That is why I went to the Immigrations office: To tell my story, get things done properly and ensure that I would be allowed to return to Thailand. Now I'm back, legally and not having a worry in the world. That's why my friend....

If you say so.

i never believe half a story. it falls into the Bs category.

Sorry my friend coffee1.gif

like to tell the rest and i will reconsider wai2.gif

If you say so.

i never believe half a story. it falls into the Bs category.

Sorry my friend coffee1.gif

like to tell the rest and i will reconsider wai2.gif

Have it your way, then it's BS, I don't know you, so what do I care what you think? Have a good one, cheers! wai.gifbiggrin.png