Taxi Fares to Rise After Songkran

webfact

Taxi Fares to Rise After Songkran
By Sasiwan Mokkhasen
Staff Reporter

14573334031457333421l.jpg
Photo: Johnny Lai / Flickr

BANGKOK — While competition in the taxi app market is driving prices down, the Ministry of Transport approved a fare increase for traditional taxis of at least 5 percent.

The new adjustment expected to go into effect mid-April includes the meter rate and airport service charge. The second phase of a long-delayed adjustment first approved in late 2014 should help bring fares in line with actual costs, transportation officials said following a meeting Friday.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1457333403

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-03-07

Fair enough. They're ridiculously cheap after all.

Considering the service is generally terrible and the drivers often have a very poor attitude, I would say its priced right where it should be.

Also, taxi drivers can easily make 2 or 3 times the minimum wage per day if they actually stop rejecting passengers. They pay 700 baht to rent the taxi for 12 hours. It should not be hard to garner 2,100 baht in fares per day. That already puts their daily earning far above the minimum wage (300 baht) after paying the 700 rental fee. The gas (NVG) that taxis run on is very cheap as well.

So I assume the people that defended the minimum pay being risen to 300 baht a day causing the cost of living to rise will have no problems with this. Keep putting the minimum wage up and the prices will keep increasing.

The taxi's are incredibly cheap as it is. Costs 10 times more in Australia.

So I assume the people that defended the minimum pay being risen to 300 baht a day causing the cost of living to rise will have no problems with this. Keep putting the minimum wage up and the prices will keep increasing.

Australia is 10 times as expensive.....

Yes but we aren't in Australia or having to deal with the cost of living they have in Australia.

Forget comparing the price to other countries. Even WITHIN Thailand, Bangkok taxis are cheap. Go see how far 50bht will take you in a taxi the north or south.

That is due to corruption and organized crime. Plain and simple..... There is no reason taxis should not or cannot operate everywhere as they do in BKK.

Classic newbie mistake comparing costs with western countries. Agree with rest of your post though.

Forget comparing the price to other countries. Even WITHIN Thailand, Bangkok taxis are cheap. Go see how far 50bht will take you in a taxi the north or south.

That is due to corruption and organized crime. Plain and simple..... There is no reason taxis should not or cannot operate everywhere as they do in BKK.

Not due to corruption, it is about the availability of taxis & distance and passengers,

Korat to Khon buri 56km= 600 baht if you know the driver 700 baht if you do not,

a set price by the company as hugely unlikely to get a fare on the return journey,

Considering the service is generally terrible and the drivers often have a very poor attitude, I would say its priced right where it should be.

Also, taxi drivers can easily make 2 or 3 times the minimum wage per day if they actually stop rejecting passengers. They pay 700 baht to rent the taxi for 12 hours. It should not be hard to garner 2,100 baht in fares per day. That already puts their daily earning far above the minimum wage (300 baht) after paying the 700 rental fee. The gas (NVG) that taxis run on is very cheap as well.

So yes it cost the driver 600 -700 Baht to hire the taxi for a 12 hour shift, plus 600 Baht for gas LPG NGV. The driver need to make 1200 -1300 baht to break even. Not a job I would be queuing up for thank you.5% is ok. Not sure about the airport surcharge why is that justified nothing changed there in fact now it more organised it better for driver at the airport at least a SB not sure about DM.

So yes it cost the driver 600 -700 Baht to hire the taxi for a 12 hour shift, plus 600 Baht for gas LPG NGV. The driver need to make 1200 -1300 baht to break even. Not a job I would be queuing up for thank you.5% is ok. Not sure about the airport surcharge why is that justified nothing changed there in fact now it more organised it better for driver at the airport at least a SB not sure about DM.

Yes! You won't be lining up for it. But you act as of Thai taxi drivers could just go be a lawyer or Dr but they can't! Their other option is often a minimum wage profession like working at an NGV station for 300 baht a day. There is a reason why there are so many taxis in BKK. It's because the people who drive them don't have any better options.

I am not sure why so many people fail to grasp the very basics of economics. Driving a vehicle is not difficult and anyone can do it.....this the reason the wage is low.

Not due to corruption, it is about the availability of taxis & distance and passengers,

Korat to Khon buri 56km= 600 baht if you know the driver 700 baht if you do not,

a set price by the company as hugely unlikely to get a fare on the return journey,

That was not my point. My point is that other cities like Phuket, Chiang Mai, etc. could also have good taxi companies if not for corruption. CM doesn't even have a public bus system!

And if there was more taxis in these places, you would definitely be able to find someone to take you....... Even if 5 taxis reject me in BKK... Sooner or later one won't and I will get to where I am heading.

Edited by inbangkok

Yes! You won't be lining up for it. But you act as of Thai taxi drivers could just go be a lawyer or Dr but they can't! Their other option is often a minimum wage profession like working at an NGV station for 300 baht a day. There is a reason why there are so many taxis in BKK. It's because the people who drive them don't have any better options.

I am not sure why so many people fail to grasp the very basics of economics. Driving a vehicle is not difficult and anyone can do it.....this the reason the wage is low.

That last sentence really got me "its not difficult" funny!!

Everyone makes their choices is life. Driving a taxi in Bangkok would be considered a poor one if you're not professional, efficient and courteous.

Taxi fares in Bangkok are way under-priced. I don't know how the drivers can make a living. But can anybody tell me why taxis are so expensive in Chiang Mai? A fifteen minute drive from Nimmenhaemin to the airport is likely to cost 250THB whereas in Bangkok I could ride for an hour or more for that price.

Cars are not cheap in Thailand so my personal opinion is that the current fare system is too low.

That does not excuse the crap service and ripoffs that take place.

I would support a fare increase if they would only permit it on the basis of tougher regulation - and punishments.

Yeah man, this why we are here in the first place.

At least five percent? They're still deliberating on the amount? And still they haven't resolved the ongoing issues with certain drivers, probably because any clampdown is as much a myth as the claimed B1,000 fine. What would work would be the DoT getting off its collective a_se and doing some unannounced 'mystery shopping'.

That was not my point. My point is that other cities like Phuket, Chiang Mai, etc. could also have good taxi companies if not for corruption. CM doesn't even have a public bus system!

And if there was more taxis in these places, you would definitely be able to find someone to take you....... Even if 5 taxis reject me in BKK... Sooner or later one won't and I will get to where I am heading.

And you're happy to accept being rejected by five? The idea of being licenced to drive a taxi is that you take people where they want to go, without arguing the point. It's not intended as a business of negotiation. But the likes of you, blithely giving the drivers carte blanche to choose rather than reporting them, create issues for everyone who uses taxis.

Who gets rejected by five taxis in a row? There must be something about you they don't like the look of.

I get the odd one that doesn't want to take me. Who cares? There's usually another one 20 seconds later who will.