Trek Mountain Bike Dealership in Chiang Mai

freedomnow

So I'm trying to get a specific model of Trek bike in Chiang Mai and Chaithawat do not have the color and cannot get the color as the model is getting phased out.

I refuse to approach Jacky Bike due to their 'attitute'......are there any other dealerships in Chiang Mai anyone knows of that are holding Trek stock ? Only Trek is what I'm after thanks !

Edited by freedomnow

There's one in HD road 108 going south past Kad Farang.....The road narrows then it's on your right with Trek signage....If you go past the HD market on the right you have missed it.....

Jacky Bike off Nimmenhemin Rd have the best range of Trek bikes in Chiang Mai.

I've never had problems there. Either the mechanic, who speaks some English, deals with me, or Thai customers/friends of owner hanging around the shop, assist with translation. If anyone in CM stocks a particular model / size, it'll be Jacky.

Edited by MESmith

I've never had problems there. Either the mechanic, who speaks some English, deals with me, or Thai customers/friends of owner hanging around the shop, assist with translation. If anyone in CM stocks a particular model / size, it'll be Jacky.

Yeah same here, never had any attitude whatsoever, if anything they are a no nonsense get it done kinda shop. If you buy a bike there the labor costs are forever free, not the parts though, lol.

Edited by DaamNaam

In defense of the OP I have been totally ignored there and once even told they were closed by the staff standing outside with customers inside (they thought is was hilarious but Jackie and the others in charge weren't there). If one expects any service you might not be happy.

On the other side if you go with in with a local attitude you might get what you want.

Now I'm known by them as being involved in the CM cycling scene I'm welcome there but still I rather go to other places were they treat me kindly.

I needed a 25.4mm stem and like so many things you may need for your bike in CM you have to visit a few shops. Chaitawat, LA bicycle NW moat, velocity no joy, it was only Jacky who had any. A Bongrager stem, a Trek brand. Jacky may not be your preferred shop but it's foolish not visit if you are looking for something that another doesn't have.

Yeah same here, never had any attitude whatsoever, if anything they are a no nonsense get it done kinda shop. If you buy a bike there the labor costs are forever free, not the parts though, lol.

My experience with Jacky nas been fine but I do not need any huggies when I go shopping and I do speak enough Thai to get it done.

Edited by Dante99

This shop in BK has many TREK bikes.

If you phone them they can speak English.

Next day delivery to CM by EMS add 700bht.

http://www.saengthong.com/

But the OP might have to visit Jacky first to check the size he needs thumbsup.gif

Seeing as Jacky tried to sell a 20" Hybrid to a 6' 3" foreigner last week, that probably wouldn't be a great idea.

(in a previous thread by SooKee)

Better off reading the manufacturers sizing charts than asking size advice from a Thai bicycle shop IMHO.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

But the OP might have to visit Jacky first to check the size he needs thumbsup.gif

Seeing as Jacky tried to sell a 20" Hybrid to a 6' 3" foreigner last week, that probably wouldn't be a great idea.

I mean to physically sit on a similar bike. Then order the colour, model you want elsewhere. Sookee didn't pay anything for the bike they got for him that was too small. Try getting that service at other bike shops.

Edited by MESmith

I mean to physically sit on a similar bike. Then order the colour, model you want elsewhere. Sookee didn't pay anything for the bike they got for him that was too small. Try getting that service at other bike shops.

Yup. To be fair he did say I'll get the bike in, try it. If you like it it, buy it. If not. No problem. When I tried it and said I'm not keen on having the seat jacked right up, or a big bar drop he said he'd try and source a 22.5". Trouble is, meantime, I found one in stock that I got a good deal on at Chaitawat. I suppose you could say that Jacky didn't go out of their way to say the 20 was too small, but there wasn't any pressure from them. I could have ended up with a bike too small I suppose but checking the Trek size charts and comments from folks here and elsewhere pretty much had me certain it wasn't worth a shot.

In fairness to them as well. Went back to Jacky today to get a bike for my other half. For her they had a the right frame size and the female specific version in stock. Said we wanted it, asked if they could deliver it and Jacky said no problem. Didn't want a deposit, filled out the guarantee card and dropped the bike to our home in Hang Dong after the shop shut FOC. Paid when he came.

I'd certainly take a look at the Trek size chart though, especially as a baseline, and budge from it only if YOU consider it's appropriate.

pgrahmm means IBIKE Bike Shop. It's here: N18 41 26.8 E98 55 20.7

Tel.: 053-426696, 084-480-1001

Email: [email protected]

Website: https://www.facebook.com/IBiKeHD/info?tab=page_info

I was in this shop today buying a new pump and they have extended the shop to double its old size. They are quite friendly here but sub nearly all the servicing out to others. My Gary Fisher Trek funnily enough ended up at Jacky bike, lol. They took it there and charged me for it. Doh.

They do have a good range of Trek bikes now though, well worth a look. Parking can be tricky though.

pgrahmm means IBIKE Bike Shop. It's here: N18 41 26.8 E98 55 20.7

Tel.: 053-426696, 084-480-1001

Email: [email protected]

Website: https://www.facebook.com/IBiKeHD/info?tab=page_info

I was in this shop today buying a new pump and they have extended the shop to double its old size. They are quite friendly here but sub nearly all the servicing out to others. My Gary Fisher Trek funnily enough ended up at Jacky bike, lol. They took it there and charged me for it. Doh.

They do have a good range of Trek bikes now though, well worth a look. Parking can be tricky though.

Yeah, but get a Thai to phone up and price something ..... then show up as a foreigner and try for the price they quoted.

Nothing in that shop has price labels for a reason.

About a 25% reason.

iBike quoted me 23,800 for a Merida Crossway 100 a bike that is in the same price bracket as the Trek FX 7.3 in other countries. Difference is Trek 7.3 is around 16K, or at least they are at Jacky / Chaitawat. Where the massive price differential comes from I'm not sure but that Merida from that shop was poor value. Jacky and Chaitawat have a much bigger stock of Treks from what I saw after visiting all three. Jacky had loads in his shop plus loads more upstairs.

iBike quoted me 23,800 for a Merida Crossway 100 a bike that is in the same price bracket as the Trek FX 7.3 in other countries. Difference is Trek 7.3 is around 16K, or at least they are at Jacky / Chaitawat. Where the massive price differential comes from I'm not sure but that Merida from that shop was poor value. Jacky and Chaitawat have a much bigger stock of Treks from what I saw after visiting all three. Jacky had loads in his shop plus loads more upstairs.

From my experience of buying bikes here, there are 2 prices. The list price & the discounted price. All shops I visited & those on line always quoted the discount price. Maybe they tried to pull a fast one on you with the Merida.

From my experience of buying bikes here, there are 2 prices. The list price & the discounted price. All shops I visited & those on line always quoted the discount price. Maybe they tried to pull a fast one on you with the Merida.

I remember it being mentioned on an old cycling topic that Trek are sold cheaper in Thailand than other countries. They get some kind of preferential treatment when imported that Merida and Giant don't get? I can't remember the exact details but the Trek I bought at Chaitawat was about 25% cheaper than the UK price and slightly better spec.

Not sure. Maybe it's the preferential treatment Trek gets (if that's the case) that keeps their price comparatively low. I'd laboured the price pretty intensively though. Maybe it's just that Merida do cost more here or maybe the shop charges more. Maybe next time I'm passing I'll ask then straight up the cost for a Trek 7.3. See hi they stack up.

I remember it being mentioned on an old cycling topic that Trek are sold cheaper in Thailand than other countries. They get some kind of preferential treatment when imported that Merida and Giant don't get? I can't remember the exact details but the Trek I bought at Chaitawat was about 25% cheaper than the UK price and slightly better spec.

All the main Chinese brands are sold here at 25-40% cheaper than the UK.

(Trek, Merida, Bianchi, Specialized)

My trek Alpha 1.1 was 14,500bht as opposed to 500gbp (25,000bht) last year (or $600 (21kbht)in the USA)

(although 15k5 before the King's special offer)

My Merida Matts 40D was 16,000bht as opposed to 475gbp (23,000bht) last year.

(more expensive because bought in CM, would have been 15k shipped from a bigger dealer in BK, and no discount from the King)

Edited by MaeJoMTB

I brought my Trek over - then was stunned over the price difference in the bay area compared to here. Can't buy them 2nd hand there for the new price here.....

It almost would have been worth it to leave one there + get one here....

Brought it because it matched my size and is a hybrid - which they don't seem to stock many of those here.....

Edited by pgrahmm

I brought my Trek over - then was stunned over the price difference in the bay area compared to here. Can't buy them 2nd hand there for the new price here.....

It almost would have been worth it to leave one there + get one here....

Brought it because it matched my size and is a hybrid - which they don't seem to stock many of those here.....

Yep, they are almost 30-40% discount on Euro prices...