Replacement Passport

I have to get a replacement passport soon because my current passport is nearly full. After I receive my new passport from my embassy, will Thai immigration transfer my current extension stay and reentry stamps into my new passport? Does this need to be done within a certain timeframe or can I wait until I apply for my next extension of stay (due in May)? Thanks for the help.

An argument to do it quickly is that you don't need to carry/show two passports where it is required (e.g. for travel within the country).

The old passport will be marked as void/invalid even if the expiry date has not been reached.

Also, depending on where you live and what kind of extension, the process of moving the visa to the new passport might not be at the same office. i.e. for Chiang Mai I had to go to airport immigration for the new passport but Promenada immigration for the extension (TR).

Also, depending on where you live and what kind of extension, the process of moving the visa to the new passport might not be at the same office. i.e. for Chiang Mai I had to go to airport immigration for the new passport but Promenada immigration for the extension (TR).

Visas are not transferred, only extensions - this is why using the correct terminology is so important.

• 8 months later...
5 minutes ago, sanoek60 said:

Any more updates on the process of replacing the stamps to new passport.

Which office to use and do you need copies of all pages?

It depends upon whether you are on a visa entry or an extension of stay.

You have to do it at the office where your are living.

It depends which office you will be using. I did mine in Chaing Rai in July. I just handed over both passports. No photocopies were required. I received them back with 2 new stamps in my new passport. Mine was an extension of stay

Edited by ripstanley