What sort of business should I start for my wife?

Rob8891

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Buy property and buildings that you can rent easily ... have a strategy.

Other than this, would not invest in anything else. The rate of business failure in Thailand is high and very high for first timers. Being a manager in an office is not going to help set up and run a business

Don't really understand your problem. You say you have 2 good pensions with a 3rd on the way so if legally married if you die your wife will get the spousal support from the 3 pensions so why should she need to work ? Especially since you say the home your living in is all paid for .

He doesn't have a problem. He just took this opportunity to brag about how god his life is. Here are the irrelevant details he shared:

• good home in Chiang Mai
  • the proceeds of the property sale in the bank
  • two comfortable pensions (with a third on the way next year)
  • rental income from the home country
  • a stable marriage with a sensible and mature Thai wife, (no bar time, university education, has worked in offices)

He are the relevant details he didn't share

• What his wifes skills / interests are
  • How much he plans on investing
  • How much time she plans to work each week
  • How long would they like the business to operate
  • Whether or not his wife approached him about this or is it is all his idea.

The answer to the OPs question is a big NO. Don't start a business in Thailand. Since he appears to know property, buy some rental property for her to generate income.

Unless there is already such a successful and well-advertised business in the city, a female taxi-driving service. Get her to recruit other female drivers, buy the cars and a depot and recruit a good maintenance man.

A sustainable business here should be:

1. something with high barriers to entry (usually cost barriers but scale can be a good barrier if you can get a large recognised business up and running)
  2. something that takes advantage of Thai burgeoning wealth
  3. and something with a female twist to it.

OK - anyone can rent a car and start a taxi business but not a significant one with scale to advertise widely

Alternatively (without the female twist):

An agricultural equipment hire business

Edited by SantiSuk

Don't really understand your problem. You say you have 2 good pensions with a 3rd on the way so if legally married if you die your wife will get the spousal support from the 3 pensions so why should she need to work ? Especially since you say the home your living in is all paid for .

He's saving up to buy me a new Cessna.

attachicon.gifimage.png

facepalm.gif I thought you meant one with a twirly thing on the front. This is going to take a couple more weeks, OK?

attachicon.gifimage.png

facepalm.gif I thought you meant one with a twirly thing on the front. This is going to take a couple more weeks, OK?

I'm waiting and I will even order new spectacles for the inaugural flight.

attachicon.gifimage.png

So you'll be making a "spectacle" of yourself again ? biggrin.png

attachicon.gifimage.png

So you'll be making a "spectacle" of yourself again ? biggrin.png

Sorry, no rodents allowed to board, you will need to go by shipping freight......same way you arrived here Roland.

Don't worry we will take lots of fotos for you ;)

Open a Gai Yang Ha Dao franchise kiosk. I have only seen one fail of many and the others are always hustling. I am not saying she should work chicken fryer but she could do the hiring, check on quality control and pick up the cash once a day. The have a website with all the info all in Thai but its straight forward. They chose the location, deliver all your supplies and train you. Startup cost is peanuts. Several threads exist already about them.

That's why I worded the question "if you were in my position, what would you start for YOUR wife". Obviously you don't know my wife (or at least I sincerely hope you don't sad.png ). Apologies for any ambiguity.

What sort of business do you think work? What sort of businesses are definitely not a good idea in your opinion(s)?

Whatever you decide I would make sure your wife is happy with that idea, if she has no interest in the business it wont work. You seem like a smart guy so Im sure you already know that.

My wife opened a womens clothing shop. Total cost to open and purchase inventory was about $3000 maybe $4000 USD. My wife was already working and saved up her money and I then loaned her

the other half. She normally makes about 30K a month profit. Really I didnt think it would work as she rented a shop in a little square with all these other womens clothing shops, but it worked. She does good as she has a good mix of work clothes and young girls. However it's allot of work, she opens around 9-10am and closes her shop around 7-9pm, She has one girl that works for her 2 days week. She has to run to BKK every other week to purchase new inventor. Either I take her or she takes a van that goes to bkk just for shopping. When anyone dies in the village or a village close to us that she knows she will fill her car with black dresses and go and try and sell dresses if she knows sometimes on credit.

Glutton for punishment. More than likely you will later on wish you would have held on to that investment money. Why do some men have the need to force things on women?

If your wife does not already know what business SHE wants to start, then she has no business starting a business and you have no business worrying about what type of business she should start.

If a person does want to start a business then first of all it should be doing something they are good at and does not feel like work. Second, they should devise a business plan to see if there is a market for such a thing and how much do they stand to make on the return. Don't just start a business for the sake of starting one.

go lease a small cat excavator to clear some brush and dig the pit you will be throwing your buckaroos into. ............ every morning when you wake up put 3 Tramadol's in your pie hole and slam them down with a couple Chang big boy brews . wait for 20 minutes and the sound of your wife digging the pit deeper every morning will not annoy you so much anymore ..............

I have a business plan that is ready to go Rob and if you are interested to 'buy in' on the idea I will forward you extensive business plans. The idea has been well researched and there's nothing like it anywhere in the world. To give you a hint, without letting the cat out of the bag the business involves a new beauty range of products directly targeting the 'pig', with a range of lipsticks, mascara, perfume and other products to enhance the pig.

We already have pre-orders lined up for Hong Kong, Scottland and Russia of all places

the company Moto is, "You can put lipstick on a pig"

A 25% stake in the business will cost you a mere 100 million baht, it will give you quarter vote on the running of the business which will be controlled by me with 50.1% vote! leaving a position for a third partner with 24.9%.

Be sure to act fast, as when the word gets out savvy business folk will be kicking down my door.

That sounds like a steal, Neverdie. I'll need to have a word with my Nigerian business advisers first. I'm sure they'll be in touch with you to arrange banking details.

Great, money must be received in full before any further information will be sent, furthermore each week the price of the shares increase three fold....this company is booming, make sure all funds are received before close of business next Friday, or its 300 million baht. ;)

No problemo. Done deal! Please send me your bank details.

Considerations to the person who pm'd me the fruit offer, but like the ad slogan says, "You know when you've been mango'd" ;-)

Here is a link on Thaivisa under business opportunities, I do not know if it is you or your wife's kind of thing, I do not know the quality of the product but their presentation is very good and if the product is as good as they boast, then it is something that could make very big in Thailand and long overdue.

They state 20,000 a month but I would think that is for just one outlet they are also stating they would consider sole distribution rights to the correct person that seems to me capable of making a lot more money than that. I would assume you don;t need to own a bar or other establishment to sell and distribute the product

Here is the link: Good luck with whatever yo choosehttp://classifieds.thaivisa.com/business/opportunities/make-extra-money-from-your-bar-or-catering-establishment-360415.html

Considerations to the person who pm'd me the fruit offer, but like the ad slogan says, "You know when you've been mango'd" ;-)

There seems to be a new breed of mango in Thailand these days. It's extremely bitter and even just the smell of one of them would make you want to dry reach, very undesirable indeed ! Without a doubt this vermin fruit should be eradicated at all cost.

Bitter mango, errr no thanks.

Edited by neverdie

That's why I worded the question "if you were in my position, what would you start for YOUR wife". Obviously you don't know my wife (or at least I sincerely hope you don't sad.png ). Apologies for any ambiguity.

What sort of business do you think work? What sort of businesses are definitely not a good idea in your opinion(s)?

Rob - Thai wife's idea of a business is something husband buys for her, with employees to do the work, someone to manage for her and that provides her with a sizable disposable income!

Tread carefully - they don't do budgets, accounts or worry about losses as that's what your there fore.

There seems to be a new breed of mango in Thailand these days. It's extremely bitter and even just the smell of one of them would make you want to dry reach, very undesirable indeed ! Without a doubt this vermin fruit should be eradicated at all cost.

Bitter mango, errr no thanks.

I have mangoes at the end of my garden (where some folk might have fairies). The mangoes are fed a diet of kee kwai and they are filling out rapidly: they really lap that kee kwai up! Hopefully we'll get a good crop of sweet fruit, otherwise they'll get put with all the other trash.

Mind games.

I pay my wife not to go to work. I'm her full time job. The house, shopping, meals, bills, everything. I don't do a <deleted> thing. We joke that she should operate the buttgun for me.

She is madam. She doesn't have to work. She has me.

A business is an enormous pain in the butt for little money, very little money in Thailand. It simply isn't worth it. She's exhausted at the end of the day and nothing gets done around the house.

I hear guys complain about their lazy wives here. Because many of us were instilled with a work ethic we think the TG should be working.

I was caddying at 13 and never stopped working hard till I was 59. I can afford to have a gorgeous young wife who doesn't work.

From what you've written, you do too.

clap2.gifthumbsup.gifclap2.gif

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Some were very useful, thumbsup.gif and some were exactly what one might expect from certain quarters facepalm.gif

To those who suggested I should talk to my wife, do you really think that that wasn't my first step? I'd started out out with an idea, and purposely did not say what that was: I am pleased to see that no one came even remotely close to what we have in mind, which suggests that there aren't (too many) similar operations and certainly none near the location we have in mind.

And, for the purpose of clarity, it isn't a bar, nor is it a happy-slappy-soapie-shop. There are far too many of both of those. Anyone setting up new ones, certainly in CM, needs their bumps felt.

As an educated girl, can she not decide for herself? Sincerely, it would have to be a business with regular income, repeat customers and a biggish profit margin. Any ideas? In CM, where does your regular income com from? Think about it.

As an educated girl, can she not decide for herself? Sincerely, it would have to be a business with regular income, repeat customers and a biggish profit margin. Any ideas? In CM, where does your regular income com from? Think about it.

facepalm.gif Try reading the post above yours. It would have saved your headlong rush to get your post-count up by 1. coffee1.gif