PM Prayut at ACD meeting: Thailand progressing in line with roadmap

webfact

PM at ACD meeting: Thailand progressing in line with roadmap

BANGKOK, 11 March 2016 (NNT) – Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha gave an opening address at the 14th Asia Cooperation Dialogue (ACD) Ministerial Meeting, affirming Thailand’s adherence to its reform roadmap as well as the 20-year national strategy.

At the ACD Ministerial Meeting hosted by Thailand, Prime Minister Prayut stated that the event was aimed at strengthening member countries by fostering trust, eliminating skepticism and creating equitable benefits. He urged all to take lessons from the past while formulating joint development plans for the future and to identify their similarities within diversity.

The premier noted that the ACD covers a population of 4.3 billion and accounts for a combined trade value of 6 trillion US dollars. With the maintenance of close alliances, he reckoned the grouping has the potential to become an economic powerhouse of the world.

Regarding developments in Thailand, Gen Prayut revealed that the government is implementing the civil state policy to promote happiness and raise competitiveness among the people. He added that Thailand has been following the sufficiency economy philosophy for over 40 years and is now mapping out its 20-year national strategy for the well-being of citizens in the long term.

As for politics, the Prime Minister promised to hold general elections within next year in compliance with the reform roadmap. He also said he will not meddle in the affairs of the new government as it will be guided by a mechanism which will be set up to ensure seamless continuation of the national strategy.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-03-11 footer_n.gif

He urged all to take lessons from the past

Coups will cost a nation hundreds of billions in any currency and is never a guarantee to resolve social conflict. Even Prayut admits that the new draft constitution following the previous 12 coup-authored constitutions "is not a special medicine nor a formula to fix Thailand’s problems."

Prayut's message should be - Don't copy Thailand's military power grab if you want economic growth.

"He added that Thailand has been following the sufficiency economy philosophy for over 40 years and "

And the country is still in chaos, without even a properly elected government. The economy is declining, exports are decling, investment has seriously declined, human rights no longer matter, farmers are in trouble, water shortages abound but the band plays on.

Are ordinary Thais happier, no is the simple answer.

Khun Abhisit made an interesting comment on how he sees progress in Thailand this week.

" The military can't say they are doing better than politicians.I'm talking about corruption.I'm talking about abuse of power"

Can't get clearer than that really.

Edited by jayboy

- ban free speech : check!

- Moving the kickbacks to the friends instead of foes : check!

- Putting Thailand in the worst economical position in the ASEAN : check!

- Giving the Junta an amnesty blanket (which was the trigger when it was for Thaksin, which I NOT approved neither, just in case the "but Thaksin" comes here) :check!

- Be sure that the Coups are now "legalized" : check!

- Lower the foreign investments : check!

Good work!

"He also said he will not meddle in the affairs of the new government as it will be guided by a mechanism which will be set up to ensure seamless continuation of the national strategy."

What he is saying is that he won't have to meddle because he will leave in place a constitution so undemocratic that no elected government can do anything of consequence. National strategy will continue to be guided by unelected elites, as it is now.

Khun Abhisit made an interesting comment on how he sees progress in Thailand this week.

" The military can't say they are doing better than politicians.I'm talking about corruption.I'm talking about abuse of power"

Can't get clearer than that really.

Marvellously on the ball comment on Abhisit's reaction in the BP today.

"Goethe’s Sorcerer’s Apprentice comes to mind: Help me Lord, I plead! Spirits I have conjured, no longer pay me heed."

Coups will cost a nation hundreds of billions in any currency and is never a guarantee to resolve social conflict. Even Prayut admits that the new draft constitution following the previous 12 coup-authored constitutions "is not a special medicine nor a formula to fix Thailand’s problems."

Prayut's message should be - Don't copy Thailand's military power grab if you want economic growth.

Although put between quotes to suggest, this

""is not a special medicine nor a formula to fix Thailand’s problems."

seems your interpretation rather than what PM Prayut said.

According to NNT (Feb 6), it is what the PM said.

According to NNT (Feb 6), it is what the PM said.

It would help when people include a link when quoting.

BTW http://thainews.prd.go.th/en/ seems of the air at the moment