Greece refugee crisis: Fears of disease as rain turns Idomeni into 'swamp'

webfact

Greece refugee crisis: Fears of disease as rain turns Idomeni into 'swamp'
By Alasdair Sandford | With REUTERS

606x341_327031.jpg

“Merkel! Merkel! Merkel!”

IDOMENI: -- Stranded for days at Greece’s northern border, migrants chanted the name of the European leader they hope can set them back on their journey north.

Hundreds of migrants staged another protest on Sunday at the frontier’s closure.

But so far Angela Merkel’s calls for states along the so-called “Balkan corridor” to re-open the gates have fallen on deaf ears. Several nations along the route have closed their borders.

Greek health officials at Idomeni on the border with the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia say rain which has set in over the weekend has made appalling conditions worse.

“Conditions at Idomeni are indescribable… it’s a swampland created by the rain,” said the head of Greece’s Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (KEELPNO), Thanasis Giannopoulos.

At least one Syrian girl has been diagnosed with Hepatitis A, normally associated with a lack of safe water or poor sanitation.

An estimated 12,000 people including thousands of children are waiting to cross the frontier.

The Greek government says hundreds of people have been moved from the camp since Friday and more will be in the coming days.

On Saturday the authorities handed out leaflets in Idomeni informing them that the main route north was shut, and urging them to move to other buildings and centres set aside for the purpose elsewhere in the country.

Deputy Defence Minister Dimitris Vitsas, in charge of efforts to tackle the crisis, said three other camps were available nearby to shelter them.

But many migrants and refugees are snubbing the offers of alternative accommodation, fearing their chance of moving north will be lost.

Under the deal struck with the EU, Turkey has agreed to take back migrants who arrive in Greece. It hasn’t stopped hundreds from landing on the beaches of Lesbos over the weekend.

The Greek government said on Sunday that 44,000 are stuck in the country. It expects the number to reach 100,000 by the end of the month.

EU leaders and Turkey are due to meet again on Thursday and Friday to try to stem the flows of migrants through Greece.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-03-14

The world is full of choices. Their choice is to turn up there nose to offers of better accommodation and maintain their place in line to cross the boarder on route to the promised Merkel land. coffee1.gif

Plane tickets back to Turkey for all of them...

Give them walking shoes, bag lunches, water bottles, and a compass. Why should they be held to a standard higher than all other misfortunate in history? If their plight is just they would hardly be choosy, demanding, and confrontational. Its just another fingerprint of civilization grand larceny.

Plane tickets back to Turkey for all of them...

Give them walking shoes, bag lunches, water bottles, and a compass. Why should they be held to a standard higher than all other misfortunate in history? If their plight is just they would hardly be choosy, demanding, and confrontational. Its just another fingerprint of civilization grand larceny.

they were given shoes.. but they fought to get it when help fund agencies arrived to them .. some of them got 3/4 pairs and others nothing... just put them on boats and let them working on the ship to earn the food and the travel back

And we should care? Why,go home

as a belgian citizen, if i had a serious accident in thailand (but also in spain , italy , greece and other europeean countries) , then if i asked help from belgian embassy to return to belgium with a flight ticket that i would pay back, they let me die same a dog where i stay... so , I agree with you 100 %