Brit. Murders in Thailand

chiang mai

When it comes to deaths, the older 'resident' UK demographic don't generally do tubing, white water rafting, bungy jumping, zip-lining, rock climbing, island trips on overloaded and unsafe cruise boats, jet ski's, water ski's, or rent motorbikes they have no experience of driving, do drugs, go on bar crawls, indulge in methamphetamines, smoke ganja or go on booze and mushroom 'rites of passage' trips on southern Thai islands. They do tend to have medical conditions, mostly undetected until the head gasket blows.

So what DO the serial coffin dodgers do in LOS that makes them higher risk than the young, dumb and full of cum? Your inference is that older Brits in relationships are more likely to be murdered than the young and the bulletproof?

Indeed. As stated earlier, older resident expats are more likely to have closer relationships with more Thai's, have more assets such as cars, houses etc., be in business here, have more money in country than a tourist etc and therefore become targets and/or at risk of family/acquaintance aggression. Tourists who spend their times in hotels and on the beaches are more likely to have accidents in Thailand, drowning, RTA's resulting from inexperience and the alcohol holiday factor I would think. The tourist is only a target for the opportunist or the scammer, they seem unlikely targets of extortion, family upset, relationship difficulties et al., the two groups are almost diametrically opposites in their behavior patterns and risk profiles.

So you ARE espousing the old "They don't really like us" chestnut after all. I suspected as much.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When it comes to deaths, the older 'resident' UK demographic don't generally do tubing, white water rafting, bungy jumping, zip-lining, rock climbing, island trips on overloaded and unsafe cruise boats, jet ski's, water ski's, or rent motorbikes they have no experience of driving, do drugs, go on bar crawls, indulge in methamphetamines, smoke ganja or go on booze and mushroom 'rites of passage' trips on southern Thai islands. They do tend to have medical conditions, mostly undetected until the head gasket blows.

So what DO the serial coffin dodgers do in LOS that makes them higher risk than the young, dumb and full of cum? Your inference is that older Brits in relationships are more likely to be murdered than the young and the bulletproof?

Indeed. As stated earlier, older resident expats are more likely to have closer relationships with more Thai's, have more assets such as cars, houses etc., be in business here, have more money in country than a tourist etc and therefore become targets and/or at risk of family/acquaintance aggression. Tourists who spend their times in hotels and on the beaches are more likely to have accidents in Thailand, drowning, RTA's resulting from inexperience and the alcohol holiday factor I would think. The tourist is only a target for the opportunist or the scammer, they seem unlikely targets of extortion, family upset, relationship difficulties et al., the two groups are almost diametrically opposites in their behavior patterns and risk profiles.

So you ARE espousing the old "They don't really like us" chestnut after all. I suspected as much.

Not at all and I don't see how you arrived at that conclusion! I don't have any thoughts either way regarding whether "we" are liked or not, the sole intent here is to evaluate objectively the risk of two groups, without feeling or emotion.

I am not sure why the OP decided to start this topic but it really is a no brainer.

Thailand is a dangerous unstable country run by a tin pot military dictatorship.

It has poor infrastructure and high levels of corruption coupled with a very high murder rate and shockingly high road toll.

I don't think you have to be a rocket scientist to work out that any tourist coming form a western country is going to be a much higher risk of death by injury, murder, misadventure etc in Thailand than they would if they travelled to other western countries.

As for the true murder rate who really knows? Fact is per capita for both Aussies and Brits Thailand is the most dangerous country to visit. If you want to dig around thai visa you will find threads on this topic with the relevant stats.

"I am not sure why the OP decided to start this topic but it really is a no brainer."

because the op, is a little bit cuckoo and he is certainly working in the tourism industrydry.png

I am not sure why the OP decided to start this topic but it really is a no brainer.

Thailand is a dangerous unstable country run by a tin pot military dictatorship.

It has poor infrastructure and high levels of corruption coupled with a very high murder rate and shockingly high road toll.

I don't think you have to be a rocket scientist to work out that any tourist coming form a western country is going to be a much higher risk of death by injury, murder, misadventure etc in Thailand than they would if they travelled to other western countries.

As for the true murder rate who really knows? Fact is per capita for both Aussies and Brits Thailand is the most dangerous country to visit. If you want to dig around thai visa you will find threads on this topic with the relevant stats.

"I am not sure why the OP decided to start this topic but it really is a no brainer."

because the op, is a little bit cuckoo and he is certainly working in the tourism industrydry.png

The OP is retired and has never worked in tourism or any field related to it. But he does live in Thailand and gets tired of people spouting nonsense about the country, he also quite proud to be more than just a little cuckoo on occasion.

He started this thread because he got especially tired of all the Sun and Daily Express readers spouting the same bar stool rhetoric about how Thailand is the murder capital blah blah blah. So rather than simply repeating in parrot fashion that same old tired line, he thought he would try and find out the truth - conveniently, a newspaper article came along with some related statistics hence he started this thread. Now at least those same bar hounds will have some facts with which to enthrall tourists at their local watering holes as they recant their deep knowledge and understanding of the country, its culture and all things Thai, perhaps they wont appear so stupid in future although I don't hold out too much hope on this point.

Edited by chiang mai

The OP is retired and has never worked in tourism or any field related to it. But he does live in Thailand and gets tired of people spouting nonsense about the country, he also quite proud to be more than just a little cuckoo on occasion.

He started this thread because he got especially tired of all the Sun and Daily Express readers spouting the same bar stool rhetoric about how Thailand is the murder capital blah blah blah. So rather than simply repeating in parrot fashion that same old tired line, he thought he would try and find out the truth - conveniently, a newspaper article came along with some related statistics hence he started this thread. Now at least those same bar hounds will have some facts with which to enthrall tourists at their local watering holes as they recant their deep knowledge and understanding of the country, its culture and all things Thai, perhaps they wont appear so stupid in future although I don't hold out too much hope on this point.

Nice one, Chiangmai. I'm with you on that!

There is a problem, though. If you get figures from the FOI, as you suggest, they will just get their figures from the Thai authorities. And even Thais, in my experience, don't trust Thai statistics.

There is a problem, though. If you get figures from the FOI, as you suggest, they will just get their figures from the Thai authorities. And even Thais, in my experience, don't trust Thai statistics.

You can only go as far as you can go and then there's a wall you can't get around, if that happens so be it, in the meantime perhaps the FOI will shed some light on the subject.

As an afterthought: It would be really really helpful if people could shout any time they know first hand of a British death in Thailand, just to see what that picture look like.

Correct, it is a "no brainer", the OP is a Thai apologist, and does not want any negative news about Thailand. period.

Correct, it is a "no brainer", the OP is a Thai apologist, and does not want any negative news about Thailand. period.

Your challenge is to read the entire thread before commenting rather than just the most recent post.

And look, courtesy of another thread, Amsterdam and New York have higher homicide rates than Bangkok, how can that be, must be a liegiggle.gif :

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/interactive/2012/nov/30/deadliest-cities-worldwide-murder-rates-interactive

Edited by chiang mai

Far too many deaths of foreigners in Thailand are called suicides.

Cases where people" fall" or " jump" of of balconies.

And even cases where people "hang themselves" with their hands tied behind their backs

It saves the police a lot of work and,,

It's only a farang, so who cares?

And even cases where people "hang themselves" with their hands tied behind their backs

It's not unheard to hang one's self in this manner. It's referred to as the "no way out" method.

http://www.academia.edu/903627/Precautions_Taken_to_Avoid_Abandoning_the_Act_of_Hanging_and_Reducing_Pain_in_Suicidal_Hanging_Cases

In the Koh -Tao murder myth- making machinations, with the suicide hanging death of Dimitri Povse, this erred claim; "Hands tied behind the back is impossible.." to dismiss the findings has been used along with the more recent accidental falling and/or drowning death of Luke Miller to incite and foster an aura of doubt.

Ms. Annesley death from drug use in combination with alcohol ( and a lung infection) was also exploited in this manner.

Pretty disgusting.

It's quite deliberate and I believe was part of a " defense" strategy for the two convicted murderers of Hannah Witheridge and David Miller, ( the only real Koh Tao murders, IMO ) I've seen a correspondence directing a group of supporters on Koh Samui to " spread and sow speculation undermining a belief the real murderers have been caught." And that is precisely what they are doing.

Alas, justice prevailed as it appears Samui judges do not read foreigner facebook group propaganda ( usually in guise of "Justice..." ) and those baby faced rapists and killers will be spending the rest of their lives in a not very comfortable situation.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/790181-police-relatives-do-not-doubt-suicide-theory-of-french-tourist-on-koh-tao/page-2

Edited by Moonsterk

Many are murdered in Thailand full stop!

^ Yep, that proves it, May as well close this thread now

My point being that non Thai Asians or other foreigners account for some of the murders each year but it is the host nation, regardless of where you are in the world, that takes pole position.

The topic is British people murdered in Thailand, no more, no less!

Jeez, I was referring to who does the killing!

My point being that non Thai Asians or other foreigners account for some of the murders each year but it is the host nation, regardless of where you are in the world, that takes pole position.

Sorry, that's a another thread, not yet started but please, be my guest!

Since when has any foreign govt had any obligation under UK FoI act 2000?

Edited by evadgib

Do you really accept Thailands Data , most deaths here are swept under the carpet .They cannot afford to soil Thailands great image .?

Thai authorities don't register cause of death accurately.

Suicide, road accident, shower accident, accidental drowning, overdose are all popular Thai verdicts with no investigation.

That's why you can only compare the overall death statistics.

The British authorities my not know why they died, but they certainly count the deaths.

Well there's an interesting little research project. Compare total deaths by age group, socio-economic status and the like. Is a 55 year old really more likely to drown in Thailand than the Canaries? Are 70 year olds actually more likely to fall from balconies in Chiang Mai than Crete?

Sorry, that's a another thread, not yet started but please, be my guest!

I'm not the one seeking the info. My only regret is the time wasted trying to enhance the thread.

Byee:)

Edited by evadgib

Utter nonsense! Since when has any foreign govt been obliged to to comply with a FoI request submitted to HMG?

Dream on.

Anyone can make an FOI:

https://www.gov.uk/make-a-freedom-of-information-request/the-freedom-of-information-act

I have.

Since when has any foreign govt had any obligation under UK FoI act 2000?

Foreign governments are not subject to UK FoI requests, and that is not what is implied, rather the data received from an FoI to the UK government will itself come from official Thai reports and is therefore only the 'official Thai data' on murders of British citizens in Thailand. We have no idea if it is correct or not, many clearly believe it is not, others are reluctant to disbelieve the Thai data.

The data will come primarily from the Embassy in bkk. The only thing that might not be clear is exact cause of death in some cases as you have implied. If mortal remains are repatriated to UK the coroner at port of arrival or where the deceased lived is duty bound to conduct an inquest after a legal precetend set 30+ years ago.

Edited by evadgib

the official and complete data about tourism (and also safety) can be found here : http://reports.weforum.org/travel-and-tourism-competitiveness-report-2015/index-results-the-travel-tourism-competitiveness-index-ranking-2015/

And without surpise, thailand ranked very poorly for safety.

In asia region , only Pakistan is considered more dangerous than thailand!

In the world, thailand rank among the most unsafe tourists destination.( look at the complete survey)

Even Eastern and Southern Africa, Central and West Africa are seen as a lot safer!

Very few countries are considered more dangerous than thailand( by exemple Colombia, Yemen, etc)

table4.b83f517050ec4e7125ea306b8d9403d1.

thats what i keep repeating over and over again, you will NEVER heard tourists have been shot dead in Spain, USA, europe.

Only in thailand tourists are assaulted in huge numbers!

Most of the thai apologists are certainly working in the tourism industry, thats why people like chiang mai (19,000 posts )keep spaming this forum with his nonsense!

the official and complete data about tourism (and also safety) can be found here : http://reports.weforum.org/travel-and-tourism-competitiveness-report-2015/index-results-the-travel-tourism-competitiveness-index-ranking-2015/

In the world, thailand rank among the most unsafe tourists destination.( look at the complete survey)

Even Eastern and Southern Africa, Central and West Africa are seen as a lot safer!

Very few countries are considered more dangerous than thailand( by exemple Colombia, Yemen, etc)

thats what i keep repeating over and over again, you will NEVER heard tourists have been shot dead in Spain, USA, europe.

Most of the thai apologists are certainly working in the tourism industry, thats why people like chiang mai (19,000 posts )keep spaming this forum with his nonsense!

I've told you several times Bender that I'm retired, I've never worked in tourism. And when ever will you get it through your thick skull that this is not about violence, not about assaults, not about foreigners being killed it's solely about British people who are murdered in Thailand, now please, enough of your nonsense, Mods!

I've told you several times Bender that I'm retired, I've never worked in tourism. And when ever will you get it through your thick skull that this is not about violence, not about assaults, not about foreigners being killed it's solely about British people who are murdered in Thailand, now please, enough of your nonsense, Mods!

"Mods!"

seriously you did ask the mods to delete my previous message with the official data about tourism safety??!!...blink.png

now its pretty clear that you have your own agenda, good evening chiang maithumbsup.gif

"Mods!"

seriously you did ask the mods to delete my previous message with the official data about tourism safety??!!...blink.png

now its pretty clear that you have your own agenda, good evening chiang maithumbsup.gif

I have to agree this whole thread seems to be some sort of way of ignoring the reality of the dangers of Thailand by limiting the terms of reference to official murder figures and refusing to discuss anything outside those dodgy figures provided by the thai authorities.

Why bother starting a thread at all when you already know the official figures and you are just trying to reinforce your own perceptions that Thailand is really not that dangerous a place.

Thai apologist propaganda at its worst.

Edited by Tolley

"Mods!"

I have to agree this whole thread seems to be some sort of way of ignoring the reality of the dangers of Thailand by limiting the terms of reference to official murder figures and refusing to discuss anything outside those dodgy figures provided by the thai authorities.

Why bother starting a thread at all when you already know the official figures and you are just trying to reinforce your own perceptions that Thailand is really not that dangerous a place.

Thai apologist propaganda at its worst.

For perhaps the twentieth time, this thread has a very narrow focus, it deals solely with British murders in Thailand, nothing else. The intent is to tackle each element of the total deaths figure in turn, suicides, RTA's natural causes etc in an attempt to better understand the grand total, trying to examine all elements at once in the same thread, to see if there's further input to be had, makes it too complicated and unwieldy hence the desire to break the problem into small chunks. In light of all that, it's not helpful when posters, mostly one single poster, continuously goes off topic and starts talking about different aspects of violence and assaults and grandstands to accuse me of being a part of the tourism industry, an industry which I have no relationship or connection with. If posters want to discuss violence or assaults in very general terms, go start your own thread because this one is not about those things.

Bender, welcome to my ignore list, only the third person in ten years to make it there, you got there for one reason and that's your repeated unwillingness to stay on topic and read what was being said to you, well done! BTW nobody deleted the sheet you posted, it's still there in your post, I didn't copy it in my reply because it was so large, pretty much standard practice by most posters I think!.

Moving on. I'm slightly surprised at the extent of the negativity and defeatism on this one, A majority of people seem certain that the murder rate is far higher than reported, many think the country is not just dangerous but is extremely dangerous and hardly anyone has any confidence in the ability of governments to report a truer picture under an FOI request. All that leaves me with two things to wonder, the first is, maybe, perhaps, the numbers are what they are because that's what they are and no amount of FOI'ing or angst is going to change them, you'll each have to deal with that one on your own.

The second thing for me to wonder is, if indeed the numbers are, as most of you seem to know, totally wrong and Thailand is the most dangerous place on earth outside of Pakistan (or similar), what are you doing here, why are you still living here, did you consciously say to your selves that you'd go live in such a dangerous place where the murder risk is so high, that hardly seems rational or did this new fact suddenly creep up on you and take you by surprise? The answer to that seems to be possibly two fold, the first is that you don't actually live here and some of you are just trolling from overseas. The other is that you don't really believe that and you're simply attacking a subject because the current data changes established bar stool thinking and cuts the oxygen from an interesting story - the fact that a few posters would rather attack me than the attack the numbers in a constructive way seems to support this. Me, I'm going to go with a combination of the above.

I will ask the mods. to close this thread, simply because it's not going anywhere, we can re-initiate it when the FOI results come back and we'll see what things look like then.

Edited by chiang mai