Expats: Where Have You NOT Been in Thailand?

Fabricus

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been in Thailand 5 years and never been to Pattaya, or even anywhere that side of Thailand.

In fact there are many places I am still to visit.

I've travelled a lot from Phetchaburi down to the south, but some places I would still like to visit is Pai, Koh Chang, Chiang Rai, Koh Samet and Similian islands

Yep, the Similan Islands look great. A couple of years back I was paid quite a lot of money to write an article about them. The article turned out fine, but to this day I've never been there.

Nearby is Richelieu Rock, one of the finest dive sites in the world. Slightly further north are the idyllic Surin Islands and their little sea gypsy communities.

The Similans are amazing. Spent a week touring them on a live-aboard dive boat (the Diva Andaman, which I highly recommend.) I've attached some photos I took. (The Diva Andaman is the brown wooden sailing ship in some of the photos.)

Ron

post-250279-0-45604300-1458166619_thumb.

post-250279-0-25247200-1458166622_thumb.

post-250279-0-98973600-1458166624_thumb.

post-250279-0-25595100-1458166742_thumb.

post-250279-0-22334500-1458166628_thumb.

post-250279-0-02029800-1458166631_thumb.

Been in Thailand 5 years and never been to Pattaya, or even anywhere that side of Thailand.

I've travelled a lot from Phetchaburi down to the south, but some places I would still like to visit is Pai, Koh Chang, Chiang Rai, Koh Samet and Similian islands

Yep, the Similan Islands look great. A couple of years back I was paid quite a lot of money to write an article about them. The article turned out fine, but to this day I've never been there.

Nearby is Richelieu Rock, one of the finest dive sites in the world. Slightly further north are the idyllic Surin Islands and their little sea gypsy communities.

The Similans are amazing. Spent a week touring them on a live-aboard dive boat (the Diva Andaman, which I highly recommend.) I've attached some photos I took. (The Diva Andaman is the brown wooden sailing ship in some of the photos.)

Ron

attachicon.gifthailand 20141224-1003-2.jpg

attachicon.gifthailand 20141224-1025.jpg

attachicon.gifthailand 20141224-1027.jpg

attachicon.gifthailand 20141224-1028.jpg

attachicon.gifthailand 20141225-1330.jpg

attachicon.gifthailand 20141225-1459-2.jpg

Nice pics. I see your live-aboard in two of them.

The water looks amazingly clear. Good that you got to see a manta ray.

Ron

attachicon.gifthailand 20141224-1003-2.jpg

attachicon.gifthailand 20141224-1025.jpg

attachicon.gifthailand 20141224-1027.jpg

attachicon.gifthailand 20141224-1028.jpg

attachicon.gifthailand 20141225-1330.jpg

attachicon.gifthailand 20141225-1459-2.jpg

I went to Koh Lipe in low season and even then the water looked amazing and clear

We saw quite a few, actually. The one in the photo really took an interest to my small group of 3 divers. He kept swimming in circles around us, swooping in and swimming slowly alongside us (within a few feet!). We would have stayed with him all day but we ran out of air. smile.png

Ron

Edited by Lenscraft

• 8 months later...

There are many places I've never been. Some are on my wish list, while others aren't.

Places I wanna go:

- Southern Isaan (from Nakhon Ratchasima to Sisaket)

- Andaman coastline, mostly Satun and Trang.

- Nan

- Sangkhlaburi

- Umphang

- Trat

- Ranong

Places I don't wanna go:

- Koh Samui, Koh Phangan, Koh Tao, Koh Phi Phi, Koh Chang etc. Basically any island. In my 8 holidays and 5 months of having lived here, I have only been to Phuket (hated it), Koh Si Chang (didn't like it), Koh Larn (liked it) and Koh Yor (Songkhla, nothing special).

- Krabi: what's the fuss about?

Other places I have either been to or don't feel strongly about.

Love Pattaya, Samut Songkhram, Chiang Rai and Narathiwat.

You should ask Richard Barrow that question. Where have you not been Richard? He's been everywhere and he tells everyone about his travels on twitter. That's because his job is a travel blogger. No offence to the bloke meant. Great job! He does make me jealous sometimes though. E bia gum I'd like to go to all the places he's been to. On planes, trains and bicycles and his fun flying aerial drones to take photos. The lad has thee a whale of a time. Still, we aren't all meant to have the life of Richard Barrow, God bless him. I guess I'll plod on and might go down to Tops supermarket on weekend and pick up some steak and kidney pie imported from New Zealand. Not the jet set life style of Richard Barrow but we can't all be as lucky as him. Bet he's got some problems, probably married to a big fat, blooby Thai women. 555
Right I'm off to twitter Jonathan Head, I call him Richard too, he likes that. See you again.

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, Sup Slick said:

Such a hater. Whats your problem? You've been everywhere apparently but have nothing positive or insightful to contribute? 

I'm not hating on anyone. Just pointing out that not all men come here for the same reasons - despite what some might think. 

Just now, SoiBiker said:

I'm not hating on anyone. Just pointing out that not all men come here for the same reasons - despite what some might think. 

So what were your reasons for coming here? Humanitarian? Employment? 

This is Thailand after all. Seems like you are trying to distance yourself from some kind of stigma. 

Again, you've been all over but don't feel the need to expand on your trips? Kinda silly just reading through the thread and seeing your 'nope' 'yep' comments. 

17 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

I originally came for a holiday. I came back because I liked it here. 

Yes, this is Thailand - but it's more than just a huge whorehouse. Shame for you if you can't see past that. 

Hmmm so you just... Live in Thailand purely for the food and 'culture'? I highly doubt that. Logically speaking, thats just about impossible. There are other motivations you seem to be holding back based on how passive aggressive & vague you've been itt. 

Again, yeah, this is Thailand. No matter how you want to paint it, it is what it is. Plenty of cool places to go & see but its pretty lame to hate on people that go to Pattaya or Nana or whatever... Those places are, you know, kind of a huge draw to Thailand no matter how hard you want to downplay it. 

Edited by Sup Slick

3 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

I'm not hating or downplaying anything. But seriously, there's more to Thailand these days than the sex industry - even if you can't see it. 

Well why don't you tell us about these places then?  I mean you've been all over & stuff. You could just as easily help people instead of being passive aggressive. 

Just now, Sup Slick said:

Well why don't you tell us about these places then?  I mean you've been all over & stuff. You could just as easily help people instead of being passive aggressive. 

Right. Because you're asking so nicely and all...

No wonder most decent expats avoid this place like the plague. 

Just now, SoiBiker said:

Right. Because you're asking so nicely and all...

No wonder most decent expats avoid this place like the plague. 

Seems clear that you think you are the only decent expat around and other, lowly people should beg for information because of your highness. 

Should we kowtow next time? 

Really... 

3 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

Anyway, this is a thread about where we haven't been, so I'm not sure why you want me to say where I have been.

But yet, you've taken plenty of opportunity to bash expats & paint yourself up to be the only 'decent' expat around. He who shouts the loudest & all that. 

I haven't been to Krabi. Wanted to go for awhile... Maybe I should check the Soibiker approved 'decent expat' handbook. 

You must have a bit of a chip on your shoulder to read that into my posts. Just pointing out that the expat population is a lot more diverse than this forum would lead you to think. 

As for Krabi, it was nice 15 years ago, but I haven't been back since so I can't tell you what it's like nowadays. 

On 08/01/2017 at 0:30 PM, SoiBiker said:

You must have a bit of a chip on your shoulder to read that into my posts. Just pointing out that the expat population is a lot more diverse than this forum would lead you to think. 

As for Krabi, it was nice 15 years ago, but I haven't been back since so I can't tell you what it's like nowadays. 

Trang was better until I made this post.

PM me for details of my new hangout.

On 12/18/2016 at 10:51 PM, uptheos said:

I reckon every single bloke coming to Thailand for the first time, heads for Pattaya.......well 99.9% of them. 

I didn't, I was in Bangkok and Chaing Mai before Pattaya, I was on my third visit to Thailand before I went to Pattaya, and it was a girl I met in Bangkok who took me there. I knew nothing about how the bars worked until I finally came to Thailand to stay.

20 hours ago, SoiBiker said:

It's the handsome guys that don't go to Pattaya, it's usually the fat, tattooed ones who can't get a girl, and have fat wallets who go there, but in saying that. I do come down to Pattaya, sometimes by myself, though mostly with local mates. and occasionally with the wife. I do like it down there, the western food, the buffets that you can't get in Bangkok, and the long walks etc.