Special Commission on waste management nears conclusion of new approaches to garbage

webfact

Special Commission on waste management nears conclusion of new approaches to garbage

BANGKOK, 16 March 2016 (NNT) – A special commission studying ways to better manage garbage and waste has recommended that the problem be dealt with at the source by encouraging the public to better separate their refuse.

Director-General of the Pollution Control Department and spokesman for the special commission Vijarn Simachaya stated at a recent seminar on garbage management that the government’s Road Map has enabled authorities to rid the nation of 66 percent of its over 30 million tons of stockpiled waste and that he expects all of the waste to be eradicated within this year.

The spokesman indicated that the next step in dealing with garbage will be to issue laws that deal with waste on a community level. Thirty such laws have already been drafted and are being reviewed. He stated that the most important approach to reducing waste will be for households to sort their garbage and reduce waste output.

The special commission will soon finalize all of its recommendations, which extend beyond establishing waste fueled power plants to having the public play a bigger role in dealing with the problem.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-03-16 footer_n.gif

I expected to see a plan to do something about containers bigger than the product inside. So how did they apparently fail to notice ever smaller products inside ever larger containers? Since over half of a land fill is consumed by empty food containers the unnecessary waste of this ludicrous marketing gimmick that no one likes is gigantic.

As if once they fund a plan there is any follow up.

Look at laws that were ignored or broken in the licensing of Doi Saket recycling an separation facility. It was and is a joke that the people subsidized. It could be smelt miles away and hired mostly Burmese workers, when it operated. The ex prime minister owes or at least owned it when it was pushed through,

The CM city offers green garden waste pick up but it is joke, One only wonders how much is lost on that PR program.

All locals I see segregrate their rubbish... they dump it here, there and everywhere.

Visits to other locations like beaches and national parks give a better chance to spread it around as well.

Simple solution is to follow Singapore their ASEAN partner.... recycle 60+ % of rubbish and burn the rest in special electric power plants that just leave a black dust that is used to make new offshore islands for wildlife and mangroves.....

never happen in my lifetime...

Garbage is already separated by a small army of men and women who on their converted motobikes (the 3-wheeler ones with a big lid on the front) drive around the sub sois to collect paper, glass and other stuff.

Now, if the city officials as a start would place waste-bins all over the cities, so people can throw their styrofoam containers and 7-11 bags in a designated bin, it would already be a minor revolution.

I do agree that it all starts at community level - not only creating awareness in the rural areas, but also teaching the hi-so "manut baa" not to throw her trash everywhere (and I am not talking about her hi-so kids).

If items of rubbish are separated into different containers does this mean that a lot of recycling will take place? In the UK you are required to separate rubbish into different types but bins for each type are also provided. I would doubt if such commitment would be seen here