Little Known Resorts

minimart

Hi. My folks are visiting next month and I'm looking for resorts in the Khon Kaen and surrounding provinces that maybe don't appear on any websites. Has anybody found any decent places to relax? Nice swimming pool a must for my daughter!!!!

I'm not looking for places that are a couple of ropey old huts. Somewhere with good food, clean good sized A/C rooms or bungalows etc.

Thanks. :o

Yesterday we went for a family outing: a minibus full of family. The Thai way of having fun: lots of shoping/eating and visiting one temple.

We travelled from Khon Kaen east on route 209 - 2116 - 2136 to Amphor Nong Phok and Pha Nam Yoi. I was amazed of the many small resorts along the roads in the middle of nowhere. I did not check any of them, but as a guess they wont have a swimming pool but look clean and obviously have aircond. Also obviously NOT visited by families ;-)

Though this does not answer your question, it may give you a hint of what you should be aware of and try to avoid when your folks will come.

To answer your question: I never heard of a place like you are looking for in the region I know - which is South-East of Khon Kaen: Pra Yun - Manchakiri - Gaeng Kro - Ban Phai. I would be very surprised if such a place exists here.

I would very much appreciate it if you would give me a note if you find something nice and decent.

There are first class hotes in Khon Kaen with swimming pools, there is also one in Kalasin. Locals from Khon Kaen go to the 'beach' at 'Pataya 2' or 'Bang Saen 2' which are both located north west of Khon Kaen on a big reservoir called Ubon Rat.

Regards

<email removed>

Edited by Totster

As an after thought: Nam Tok Ta Ton is about 25km north of Chayaphum. You would need a car: from Chayaphum follow Route 2051 north, there are good signs. It is a national park with a water fall and entry for farangs is 200 Baht (Thais 20 Baht). There are bungalows for rent there. They look nice and comfortable but no luxery. Governement prices (usually not cheap).

The bungalows are near the river in a valley with a forest. The river is nice for playing in the water, but swimming will not be possible. At night there may be moskitos and probably snakes in the forest. So if this panics your folks, this is no option for you.

This bungalows are well separated from each other, have room for a small party and are often visited by groups of teachers or bank employees etc for a weekend, drinking etc, but probably no girls. This kind of groups usually take their food along. I do not remember any restaurants there. At day time there may be a lot of Thai tourists visiting the water fall.

I guess other national parks may have similar bungalows.

<email removed and slight edit to post>

Edited by Totster

There is Castle Howchow resort - though this is well known to locals, so may not be news to you

http://www.castle-howchow.com/

When I've taken my kids away for a weekend excusion with swimming in central Isaan, we've had a good time at both the Rim Pao Hotel, Kalasin and the Petcharat Garden Hotel, Rol Et. They are both a lot cheaper than the KK hotels with pools, especially the Petcharat. The latter is also good for Roi Et's entertainment area, if you want to sneak away from the wife for a few drinks.

Thanks citizen. I took my wife and daughter to the Roi Et hotel because her mums family come from there. That was fine and pretty clean. I'd like to head in Loei direction if possible because i stayed in a lovely resort there 5 years ago but i can't for the life of me remember the name of it!!!!!!

Edited by minimart

When I've taken my kids away for a weekend excusion with swimming in central Isaan, we've had a good time at both the Rim Pao Hotel, Kalasin and the Petcharat Garden Hotel, Rol Et. They are both a lot cheaper than the KK hotels with pools, especially the Petcharat. The latter is also good for Roi Et's entertainment area, if you want to sneak away from the wife for a few drinks.

A good day can be had at the Rimpao by the pool. bt50 for adults and bt30 for children.

Food isn't too expensive and drinks the same as any hotel/bar.. we used to take our own food and drink, but they complained once. When we went the next time we didn't take any, but some Thais were there with their picnic, so the wife went off and bought beer and food outside and came back in. The staff said food and drink has to be bought from the hotel, so we said fine, you go and tell the Thais also.. they then said we could bring our own. :o

Saying that though, the food at the hotel is good and worth the price.. so it's no big deal either way.

Another place you may consider near Kalasin is the Lam Pao Dam. they have a "beach" picnic area, it's a fun afternoon out.

totster :D

An Austrailan Friend of mine has a small resort just on the Mukdahan side of the Kalasin/Mukdahan border. Take 213 the road from Khon Kaen to Sakon Nakhon and at Somdet turn right onto 2042 towards Kuchinarai and Mukdahan, about 20 kms. from Kuchinarai you take a right turn and drive about .5 kms. and the resort is on the left hand side, they have a pool, a little small but nice and a small apartment and two bungalows. Here is the website.

http://www.thaihouseresort.com/index.html Issangeorge.

I understand and of course you are right. I have to say, the marvelous places I have seen in my short time here have all been uncovered to me by the most pleasant Thai folk that I have bumped into one way or another. Most have lived here all their life and know it like the back of their hand. hands down the best resource on local gemspots has to be the indiginous population!

Hope that helps.

Cheers Loz. The main reason I started this thread was because I went to a resort in Loei last year that didn't appear on any websites I could find when I got back to KK and it was a real gem. We just happened to be driving past it. Beautiful pool, good food and a wonderful view. It got me thinking there must be others out there that haven't got the best PR department in the world!!!!!!

In between Khon Kaen and Udon Thani (near Gumphawapee) is Gecko Villa, where we have stayed twice now. You will not find it by yourself - as it is in the middle of the countryside and hidden among rice fields, woods, sugar cane plantations, etc. and off the main road - but the couple who looked after us there collected us in Udon.

It is a large house with private negative edge swimming pool, and has two King bedrooms, both with aircon, a huge living and dining room, a kitchen, and plenty of wooden decking and balconies.

All our meals were prepared for us by the owners and the food was delightful! My wife enjoyed learning how to cook some of the Thai dishes, which was made all the more fun by picking our own ginger, lemongrass, limes and chillis on the property, which also had mangoes, papayas, bananas, and even passion fruit, amongst the ones we recognized.

The pool was great and as the house is set in the countyside was nice and peaceful, but the thing that made our stay was the couple who looked after us: very friendly and they took us to Ban Chiang and invited us to a local party etc.

It wouldn't suit you if you want nightlife, but if you're looking to unwind and realx by the pool and explore the area, I would recommed it. Take your own CDs and some books, and try out your Thai as hardly anyone in the area seems to speak English.

They've got a website at Gecko Villa

There is a beautiful villa located near Nong Hin. Nong Hin is about 50 kilometers south of Loei. The pool is large and very nice. Roger the owner prefers to rent the entire villa but he is also willing to rent rooms separately. The villa has five bedrooms. The three upstairs are the nicest. Here is the link;

www.highfieldvilla.com