Where do you keep your motorbike when you leave the country?

finy

This doesn't apply to those with gfs, garages etc, but people staying in apartments/guest houses who need to go for visa runs.

Do you trust your bike to be left there?

Do those little parking shops near bus stations keep bikes for up to a week?

I'm thinking of getting bike in future, but I would need somewhere to keep it.

I have twice left our motorbike at bike dealership shops before heading off the Cambodia. One - due for an oil change/service, said collect four days they charged nothing extra for secure storage inside workshop. Second I offered 50b per night, left helmets/jackets there, safe and secure.

Alternatives for me, eg 'secure' outdoor parking at 10b per day at Chanthaburi bus station, get a receipt/docket for bike, helmet tied to handlebars with free string! I'll use that for a day but not longer term.

Has anybody left their motorcycle at the Friendship Bridge 2 in Mukdahan?

I need to go to Savannakhet for 2 nights next week and want to leave the bike somewhere safe while I'm there..

I know there is secure car parking at the bridge, does anybody know if they take bikes too and how much do they charge?

First of all I have to say I am a little funny. I buy bikes rather than rent if I am planning on being arroud/back. The bike I own in Phuket I bought new. Over the years I have used it a combined 30 months and at 2k a month owes me nothing. I have left it at the Phuket airport 4-5 times for up to a month in the staff parking and had no issues. I left it with a bar owner and told her to let her daughter use it. Currently I am in Pattaya. About 3 years ago I bough another scooter. Used it for a year went home for a year. I just left it in the condo parking lot. When I came back both tires were flat and the battery was dead . Wheeled it across the road to a neighborhood shop . Had the battery replaced oil changed spark plug and filters. Fluffed up the tires and 1,500 baht and 2 hrs later the scooter was running like a top. Just my experience. Yours may differ.

I have a question too,

Were could I leave my car at a safe place for six (6) months in or around Chiang Mai ?

The garage were I used to leave it has to move away !!! change location...

Best Regards.

Edited by off road pat

A tip if leaving car or bike for extended time is to put an extra 10lbs pressure in tyres, Usually enough to stop bikes sitting on the wheel rims and cars from developing a flat spot on each tyre, assuming you have no punctures.

The biggest issue I get is vermin either nesting inside the motorbike and eating the wiring or dying in the car a/c system so maybe better leaving at a storage place by the bus station. Was in Buriram at the weekend and it was 20 baht a day but I'm sure that could be negotiated lower for a longer term agreement.

Has anybody left their motorcycle at the Friendship Bridge 2 in Mukdahan?

I need to go to Savannakhet for 2 nights next week and want to leave the bike somewhere safe while I'm there..

I know there is secure car parking at the bridge, does anybody know if they take bikes too and how much do they charge?

Yes, I did it three weeks ago, it is safe, and cost 100 Bt per night.

I leave me bike with the landlady under a carport, bike cover secured with bungie hooks, newspaper on seat to prevent damage from bungies cord holding down the cover. I always brim the tank with 95 juice and leave batt disconnected. Up to 6 mths later just kick it over several times to prime carbs/fuel lines and connect battery, then kick it to start (sometimes starts off battery after priming) never have probs with tyrse but on mag wheels so pressure holds better than tubes. Give a good run and it good to go, has intrim service every 6mths also so this helps too (cheap as chips so for me a no brainer) bikes a Novo Elegance about 7yrs old now...

There's storage for bikes next to the bus station in Chiang Mai, 10 baht a day. I think most bus stations in the country will have storage for bikes nearby. If it's for more than a month, disconnect the battery.

Cars are more difficult - I'd suggest finding a large hotel or condo, and negotiating with security or parking attendants.

im one of those 'stupid' farangs thats bought a condo with secure parking. so my tenants pay me to look after my car.

A lot of capital to tie up for the sake of a free car park. Sold any of your condos lately?

Tyre and disconnect battery comments are good. I also put fuel additive to stop fuel going off. All my troubles have been from "varnish" as the fuel goes off. This has happened in as short a time as a month, But definitely if you are not using the bike much then the fuel could be a month old before you store it.

I left mine with the business where I had purchased the bike...the owner told me he had a storage room in the back of the business where it would be safe until I returned...

When I returned...the bike was not there...it had been used and ridden by one of his maintenance men...wrecked...parts missing...and dirty...(they knew nothing of these things...but could repair the bike and replace the parts for a price)...this is Thailand...

I left mine with the business where I had purchased the bike...the owner told me he had a storage room in the back of the business where it would be safe until I returned...

When I returned...the bike was not there...it had been used and ridden by one of his maintenance men...wrecked...parts missing...and dirty...(they knew nothing of these things...but could repair the bike and replace the parts for a price)...this is Thailand...

You gave him the keys???cheesy.gif

It was a matter of trust...I trusted him...as I do most people...bad move this time...thanks for your input...

It was a matter of trust...I trusted him...as I do most people...bad move this time...thanks for your input...

You're welcome

A good friend departed for Canada about 4 years ago, left his bike with us. Actually is was his #2 bike, for use during rainy season. The #1 was his baby and overly well-maintained. So poor #2 was left to lounge around beside the carport but well under the roof. Out of pity we put a cover over it after a while, and wifey did ride it once when her car was in the shop; had a very difficult time to start it, took to the local shop with the bike boys. But that was two years ago and the poor bike is still waiting for owner.