The best fiber optic internet choices in Rawai

KellyB

I am moving into a newly constructed house June 1, and the landlords have agreed to sign the contract with a FTTH provider. My research shows there are 3 providers---TOT, 3BB, and CAT. I have not compared the prices, not only the monthly fees, but the charge for running the line, and the router cost, which I understand you have to buy. Has anyone looked into this, or had recent installations done? Comments about quality, etc would be welcome.

• 4 weeks later...

Between them CAT and TOT operate the backbone in the country and lease lines downwards to other providers.

Any other services as I understand it are leased out and watered down versions. Everything goes through CAT or ToT in the end, so stick with those two.

CAT was better than TOT in speeds (but you have have to choose one or the other depending on desired service and area).

I was with CAT ADSL for 3-4 years and no complaints at all.

TOT for one year ADSL with a slow down in the evenings that I did not notice with CAT. CAT is better and more expensive. You get what you pay for in the end.

My advice may not be current in your area.

I'm not in Rawai, but I do have fiber in Kata and Patong. I use 3BB and have had no regrets in over 2 years of fiber use.

Jontiem and Krasang/Buriram 3BB exellent , 2years

Terrible oversubscribed service from 3BB Mike. What did you do send the odd email?

Between them CAT and TOT operate the backbone in the country and lease lines downwards to other providers.

Any other services as I understand it are leased out and watered down versions. Everything goes through CAT or ToT in the end, so stick with those two.

CAT was better than TOT in speeds (but you have have to choose one or the other depending on desired service and area).

TOT for one year ADSL with a slow down in the evenings that I did not notice with CAT. CAT is better and more expensive. You get what you pay for in the end.

I think it's only CAT that operate the 'backbone in the country'.

But you have to consider service ... as in when you have a system problem. TOT is terrible, used to take 3 days for them to show up and forget weekends.

Never tried CAT ... too much hassle to get a connection. And expensive.

3BB will have an engineer same day (and weekends) if you phone before noon.

Stay away from TOT. 3BB and CAT are both good but CAT will likely be more expensive for the same speed package.

With better customer service that actually responds and is quite used to dealing with foriegners. Dont forget that is built into the quality of the package you are paying for.

TOT are your second best choice as they are a top level provider, along with CAT. CAT in my experience have the best infrastructure and because it is more expensive there is less use on their lines.

With a ToT line you will likely be more heavily oversubscribed.

3BB dont touch unless you want a really bad service.

But you have to consider service ... as in when you have a system problem. TOT is terrible, used to take 3 days for them to show up and forget weekends.

Thanks LiK

Seriously CAT was better for me. No evening slow down compared to CAT. Some areas are not available to CAT which is why I had to get ToT. The geographical areas serviced are divvied up between them.

I think ToT do manage exchanges as well. Had no need for help at ToT so cant comment.

Used 3BB for business and it is most unreliable. Try using skype on it all day, then compare that with a CAT line.

What you will pay does depend on how much juice you need and how often you need it!

OP if you dont need a reliable connection then you can go with the cheaper providers.

get 3bb 50/10, its really cheap at 899b and its the fastest on the island(get full speed 24/7, others isps crap out a lot).. the 100/10 ftth isnt really usefull as even torrents are throttled. Upload is great on both and 50mbps is enough (6mb/s)

only way to get the full 100mbps on regular 1200 plan is to use http multistream. only reason im keeping 100 is because i have dreamed of having 100 for like 15yrs, novelty.

Edited by bearpolar

Thanks LiK

Seriously CAT was better for me. No evening slow down compared to CAT. Some areas are not available to CAT which is why I had to get ToT. The geographical areas serviced are divvied up between them.

I think ToT do manage exchanges as well. Had no need for help at ToT so cant comment.

Used 3BB for business and it is most unreliable. Try using skype on it all day, then compare that with a CAT line.

What you will pay does depend on how much juice you need and how often you need it!

OP if you dont need a reliable connection then you can go with the cheaper providers.

Are you talking about rawai?

get 3bb 50/10, its really cheap at 899b and its the fastest on the island(get full speed 24/7, others isps crap out a lot).. the 100/10 ftth isnt really usefull as even torrents are throttled. Upload is great on both and 50mbps is enough (6mb/s)

only way to get the full 100mbps on regular 1200 plan is to use http multistream. only reason im keeping 100 is because i have dreamed of having 100 for like 15yrs, novelty.

Just to clear it up a little..

3bb`s 50/10 is not fiber so dont get confused. Its still based on Coax cable. It is VDSL which should work fine.

Looks like they only deliver optical from 100 and up.

3bb`s 50/10 is not fiber so dont get confused. Its still based on Coax cable. It is VDSL which should work fine.

just to clear up a little. Coax cable is not VDSL, its cable.

I have 3bb 50/10fiber installed in 3 locations and it is not coax. It truely is fiber all the way up the road to my property. I have examined it carefuly and I know what I am talking about. For sure optical. Not coax ...

Edited by LivinginKata

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

hi there , im looking for a new fiber internet in rawai. I had report about Tot Fiber next to where i live . It looks great but they charge a lot at the beginning for installation/router.

Anyone in rawai with AIS fiber ? they have free router for 1 year and a good 890 bath 50/10 mbits.

I would like to know if AIS fiber is stable , what speed you get with torrent and if its throttled , and if you could ping this 103.253.73.31 ( thai server gaming ) that would be lovely.

• 2 months later...