Australian Consul

Niloc

I met the Australian Hon. Consul in Chiang Mai a couple of years ago. At the time he told me that he could no longer issue visas to Thais for Australia.

I have decided to go home next March for my son's wedding and I want to take my wife who is Thai with me. She will obviously need a visa.

Is there anywhere I can get one for her in Chiang Mai? The consul suggested there was an agency in CM which handled Aust visas but I failed to take note at the time....

Any help would be appreciated, anything to avoid a trip to BKK!!

I met the Australian Hon. Consul in Chiang Mai a couple of years ago. At the time he told me that he could no longer issue visas to Thais for Australia.

I have decided to go home next March for my son's wedding and I want to take my wife who is Thai with me. She will obviously need a visa.

Is there anywhere I can get one for her in Chiang Mai? The consul suggested there was an agency in CM which handled Aust visas but I failed to take note at the time....

Any help would be appreciated, anything to avoid a trip to BKK!!

The first time I took the missus to Oz we got her visa in Chiangmai, 2nd time (4 year back) had to do it at the embassy in the big mango.

I think that it's gonna take a trip to Bangkok for you to do it.

Yeah, you are correct John, I also need a new passport so it will make the trip worthwhile.

Any problems with the visa for the missus? What did you say for 'employment', is 'home duties' enough or is 'domestic sex slave' better?

Yeah, you are correct John, I also need a new passport so it will make the trip worthwhile.

Any problems with the visa for the missus? What did you say for 'employment', is 'home duties' enough or is 'domestic sex slave' better?

Not sure now what we put down as occupation. She was a student at the time.

I do think though that 'domestic sex slave' would go down a bit like a concrete parachute.

I found the folk at the Australian Embassy in Bangkok very good. We were waiting for the embassy to open, filed the application and had the visa before lunch.

You do need all the required documents. Marriage Certificate (if you have one) letter guaranteeing financial support whilst in Australia, copy of a bank account showing that you have the funds (probably as well to have the book with you as well)

And also be sure to be standing alongside your wife when the application is filed. Many embassy staffers in Bangkok get great delight in <deleted> their fellow Thais around big time.

We got the visa and flew out to Australia the following day.

You make it sound almost too easy, I will have the official marriage certificate, the ID and the house book, but where do I get the letter promising financial support? Do I need someone to promise to support my wife? Can I write the letter myself as I will obviously be supporting her. Maybe I could show my BKK Bank passbook with a substantial balance.

I am going to go to the embassy alone as its a two day trip down and back from Pai, I don't see any need for her to go down....

You make it sound almost too easy, I will have the official marriage certificate, the ID and the house book, but where do I get the letter promising financial support? Do I need someone to promise to support my wife? Can I write the letter myself as I will obviously be supporting her. Maybe I could show my BKK Bank passbook with a substantial balance.

I am going to go to the embassy alone as its a two day trip down and back from Pai, I don't see any need for her to go down....

You write the letter yourself and this, backed up by proof of having funds is (in my experience) sufficient.

I do think that it might be wiser to have her with you at the embassy. Maybe it will not make any difference (it might cramp your style in Bangkok but I think it would be worthwhile)

This allows the embassy staffer to ask her any questions that they might deem appropriate.

Good luck.

Seems like you'll also be dropping into Nana Plaza as well...... :o

I had to get a paper signed a couple of years ago and the Hon Consul in CM (Mike Walther) a really decent bloke gave me a paper about the visa service in CM.

I remembered this morning and scratched around in my extensive and comprehensive filing system and by a miracle I found it!

You can get a visa for Australia in Chiang Mai. There are a few charges but a lot cheaper than a week or so in Bangkok.

Details are :

GDA Courier Centre - Chiangmai

Contact Mr Song Tongkuampian

Pioneer Cargo Services Chiangmai Co Ltd

55 Chiangmai-Hod Road, T Suthep, A Muang Chiangmai 50200

Tel : 053 202 225, 282340

Fax : 053 202231, 273754

The courier service is (was) 428THB, Courier charges 500 THB

There is a visa charge but it is not specified...

I had to get a paper signed a couple of years ago and the Hon Consul in CM (Mike Walther) a really decent bloke gave me a paper about the visa service in CM.

I remembered this morning and scratched around in my extensive and comprehensive filing system and by a miracle I found it!

You can get a visa for Australia in Chiang Mai. There are a few charges but a lot cheaper than a week or so in Bangkok.

Details are :

GDA Courier Centre - Chiangmai

Contact Mr Song Tongkuampian

Pioneer Cargo Services Chiangmai Co Ltd

55 Chiangmai-Hod Road, T Suthep, A Muang Chiangmai 50200

Tel : 053 202 225, 282340

Fax : 053 202231, 273754

The courier service is (was) 428THB, Courier charges 500 THB

There is a visa charge but it is not specified...

Just to confirm what Niloc says about getting a visa for Australia in Chiangmai. I don’t know if Khun Song is still there but the Embassy Visa Agent is in the Pioneer Cargo building right next door to the Nissan show room opposite Lotus on the Hang Dong road.

• 5 weeks later...

We used this courier service earlier in the year for an Aussie visa and it worked like a charm! Very easy - lots of paperwork though. In fact the more the better! This is gone through with a fine tooth comb, prior to it all being sent to Bangkok for the visa issuance - so if anything is missing or thought needed, you will be advised before it all goes off.

Other posters are correct, that Mike Walther can not assist, however he does have a sheet of instructions that need to be followed & I have attached that document to this post, for others info. Hope it's useful.Visa_Instructions___In_English.doc