Chinese fighting over Thai prawns a thing of the past, say King Power!

rooster59

Actually, it's a Chinese trait, not just Chinese from mainland China.

The same thing was happening at buffets in Singapore in the 1980's.

The government was so horrified by this behavior, that they started a national campaign called Mr. Kiasu to stamp it out.

Kiasu means "fear of losing out".

http://saliltripathi.com/articlesAsiaInc/Sept93AsiaInc.html

http://singaporecomics.com/topic.php?id=1

Edited by KarenBravo

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, it is now being claimed the footage was actually shot in 2014.

Well, such mistakes can happen when a source refuses to put a date on their report.

Hint, hint Thai Visa News (whom report 4 year old incidents as news - undated)

Edited by Happy Grumpy

They weren't trained. They merely moved on to Vietnam.

If you haven't seen Fookhahts post number 17,,, you really should, it's must see footage.

Regards training... Lol... It is a well known fact that people will always revert to what they know, in times of trouble, stress or insecurity.... It's called " primacy of learning"

Admittedly I was not a witness to the barbaric buffet incident.... But the Chinese that I do encounter during my travels, show no signs of "training" in manners, and act the same now as then (a few years ago) but now there are more of them, so the problem has escalated.

[quote name="55Jay" post="10572287" timestamp

It's a delicate balance. "Black Friday" shopping frenzy in the USA is a good example of momentary breakdown. Imminent threat of natural disaster likely to limit access to resources will flip the instinct switch, manifesting as panic buying/hoarding, pushing, shoving, playing tug-o-war for the last 1 gallon bottle of water on the shelf. In worst case scenarios, resources may be limited to centralized distribution points which may bring out the disgusting savage that resides in each one of us.

The Black Friday frenzy is a completely different deal.... It's organized chaos,... And everyone going into the stores, know exactly what is going to happen, so there are no horrified spectators to complain

The community, as a whole, knows this also, and can choose to do their shopping on a different day, if they don't want to be a part of the frenzy, which is encouraged by the store management.

Perhaps the management is at fault for encouraging this behavior, but as I said above, everyone knows what to expect and are prepared for it, and I believe it is only one day a year (???), so you don't have to worry about being suddenly swamped by a frenzied crowd

And you have to pay to play, unlike the feeding frenzy that has been posted (prepaid, yes)... Numbers of diners are known (or should be if the restaurant knows what they are doing) and there is generally sufficient foods to go around, but if some people miss out on their prawns, the appropriate response is that the tour company address the issue with the restaurant

Or am I mistaken, with getting an overload of prawns, being a life or death situation?

post-249978-0-05996900-1459010607_thumb.

Edited by farcanell

So much anti-Chinese nonsense on this thread. The vast majority of them are well-behaved and on the sophisticated end of the scale compared with many Caucasians I see in hotels in many countries ( worst offenders , in my observation, millenniums of various nationalities, eating food from buffets while still standing at it, licking fingers and then picking up utensils...or just straight to the food with fingers, loud mobile phone conversations, Skype meetings while other people are trying to eat breakfast.

Loud, inconsiderate, unpleasant habits, poor personal hygiene, entering hotel lounges in stinking gym clothes, grasping after "free" champagne. It can be seen every day on planes, in airport lounges, at taxi queues, in hotels. Caucasians NOT Chinese.

+1

Have they could the shirtless farang groper yet?

There sure are a lot of very racist comments on this thread directed at the Chinese. I don't really seeing the Thais having to fight them. But I see farangs (deservedly)on the receiving end of Thai style attitude adjustment daily. Who is really more offensive?

Not just Chinese!!

Some years ago, I frequently overnighted at a hotel in a city in Australia that had an all you can eat buffet for Sunday morning breakfast.

Every overweight person, and some not overweight, not hotel patrons, from within a 2 hour driving radius showed up, and made complete pigs of themselves.....there is a reason they are obese.

Buffets traditionally have smaller plates, I suppose to maybe limit the volume of food, but it meant nothing to these fatsos.....they'd heap the food up in a cone, as if they only had one go, and a few minutes later they'd pass me again, same deal, plate heaped like a cone, and some carrying two plates, waddling back to their tables, and they'd do it time and again, spilling food off the plate because it was heaped so precariously.

I guess they became obese not only because they eat too much, but because they are lazy, and less trips to the buffet fits with their lifestyle.

Nope, not only Chinese. I suspect know there is an element of bad behaviour in the people of every country, and frequently/most often, it's the 'new rich'.

I think Asians, generally, behave badly on flights, disregarding the crew's instructions, but once again, a lot of these people are flying for the first time, so are excited and behaving irrationally.

Edited by F4UCorsair

It's a delicate balance. "Black Friday" shopping frenzy in the USA is a good example of momentary breakdown. Imminent threat of natural disaster likely to limit access to resources will flip the instinct switch, manifesting as panic buying/hoarding, pushing, shoving, playing tug-o-war for the last 1 gallon bottle of water on the shelf. In worst case scenarios, resources may be limited to centralized distribution points which may bring out the disgusting savage that resides in each one of us.

The Black Friday frenzy is a completely different deal.... It's organized chaos,... And everyone going into the stores, know exactly what is going to happen, so there are no horrified spectators to complain

The community, as a whole, knows this also, and can choose to do their shopping on a different day, if they don't want to be a part of the frenzy, which is encouraged by the store management.

Perhaps the management is at fault for encouraging this behavior, but as I said above, everyone knows what to expect and are prepared for it, and I believe it is only one day a year (???), so you don't have to worry about being suddenly swamped by a frenzied crowd

And you have to pay to play, unlike the feeding frenzy that has been posted (prepaid, yes)... Numbers of diners are known (or should be if the restaurant knows what they are doing) and there is generally sufficient foods to go around, but if some people miss out on their prawns, the appropriate response is that the tour company address the issue with the restaurant

Or am I mistaken, with getting an overload of prawns, being a life or death situation?

Yes, you are mistaken. Not in the rationale behind your otherwise valid comments, but in interpreting the reason for mine.

I'm interested in the psychology of group dynamics, contrasted with the hierarchical rules which govern the non-human realm of our animal kingdom. WHY human animals react in this manner, not assigning blame to management for failing to anticipate and/or prevent the conditions in which this type of instinctual behaviour bubbles to the surface.

There certainly ARE people who choose not to participate in a Blk Friday events. Others that do may be inclined to back off in shock/horror when they sense "normal" good order and discipline is giving way to aggressive, competitive behaviour for limited, dwindling resources. Plenty of examples on Youtube.

I attended a Black Friday event (once!), it was borderline shocking at times. Mine was at a US Military base so while I had heard accounts of crazy BF events, I was confident my fellow military members would conduct themselves with disciplined restraint. I was right about them but man, some of the wives though! You could feel the intensifying competition, some of the 270lb "larger wife models" used their size and weight to aggressively jockey and elbow in to gain access to a particular dwindling resource - in one case, a small table of laptops for $99. It was fascinating to watch it play out and yes, when I saw a brief gap in the melee, I darted in, grabbed a chunk of meat off the carcass, then retreated to a safe distance. laugh.png

Edited by 55Jay

We English always form an orderly queue...

This photo is dramatically posted out of context. Comparing the hysterical black Friday shopping with a run of the mill tourist outing is absurd. Or, perhaps we can allow the same pumped up race to hysteria equally exists. You cannot have it both ways.

Also, the posters who feel comments are Chinese bashing should take a chill pill. Observations of poor behavior exist because the video represents poor behavior, not because the subjects are Chinese; how ludicrous. Its much the same as so much of the world's problems these days: no judgement of observation can be made without demands for relativity or calls to race. When something is stupid, rude, or uncivil, it is so regardless of who is filmed!

So much anti-Chinese nonsense on this thread. The vast majority of them are well-behaved and on the sophisticated end of the scale compared with many Caucasians I see in hotels in many countries ( worst offenders , in my observation, millenniums of various nationalities, eating food from buffets while still standing at it, licking fingers and then picking up utensils...or just straight to the food with fingers, loud mobile phone conversations, Skype meetings while other people are trying to eat breakfast.

Loud, inconsiderate, unpleasant habits, poor personal hygiene, entering hotel lounges in stinking gym clothes, grasping after "free" champagne. It can be seen every day on planes, in airport lounges, at taxi queues, in hotels. Caucasians NOT Chinese.

The funny thing is the farang here tend to ignore their own kind's bad behavior or think it's acceptable but just change it to say chinese and they let loose.

This photo is dramatically posted out of context. Comparing the hysterical black Friday shopping with a run of the mill tourist outing is absurd. Or, perhaps we can allow the same pumped up race to hysteria equally exists. You cannot have it both ways.

Also, the posters who feel comments are Chinese bashing should take a chill pill. Observations of poor behavior exist because the video represents poor behavior, not because the subjects are Chinese; how ludicrous. Its much the same as so much of the world's problems these days: no judgement of observation can be made without demands for relativity or calls to race. When something is stupid, rude, or uncivil, it is so regardless of who is filmed!

Oh so western ppl only act like that on one day. Another retarded comment.

Actually the logic is pretty simple. A, B, C= a- Chinese video, b-relative comparison to western Black Friday, c-rebuttal of western Black Friday analogy. The premises specific, the conclusion narrow; not much inference here.

The only thing "retarded" is the the logic (generalization) asserting my above post remotely states "western ppl act like this on one day." One has to totally remove my post and insert their own words or otherwise run wildly off the mental reservation to conclude my post stated "western people..." Howitzer posted this. No one else did. Its projection.

The funny thing is the farang here tend to ignore their own kind's bad behavior or think it's acceptable but just change it to say chinese and they let loose.

If you take a casual stroll around ThaiVisa forum, you'll find plenty of examples to the contrary.

So, the Chinese from China behave like the Thai Chinese. This is news?

In Macau I saw people in a fairly nice restaurant spitting on the carpet. Can't say I ever saw a Thai Chinese do that.

But maybe those poor tourists were starving because in China they can't afford food. cheesy.gif

Actually the logic is pretty simple. A, B, C= a- Chinese video, b-relative comparison to western Black Friday, c-rebuttal of western Black Friday analogy. The premises specific, the conclusion narrow; not much inference here.

The only thing "retarded" is the the logic (generalization) asserting my above post remotely states "western ppl act like this on one day." One has to totally remove my post and insert their own words or otherwise run wildly off the mental reservation to conclude my post stated "western people..." Howitzer posted this. No one else did. Its projection.

Oh please don't try to complicate things anymore than they should be. You mentioned something along the lines like it's black friday aka a special occasion where farang will act like that which implies that they are good role models 364 days of the year while obviously chinese act like that all the time everywhere which couldn't be further from the truth and mind telling me how is black friday a supposedly much bigger event compared to those tourists at the buffet table? Those tourists might have seen such a good spread like that the first time in their lives. To them it would probably be like black friday. Also why is black friday such a special occasion? Is it the only time in the entire year where they have such sales? The richest, most abundant country in the world has a sale and its citizens act like starving refugees from somalia only this time it isn't food that they are grabbing but electronic items.

As for your posting on it was nothing racial about the others comments i suggest you go back and read them again. Looking at that video of some chinese tourists acting like that and then generalizing all chinese to be like them isn't chinese bashing? whistling.gif

Oh please don't try to complicate things anymore than they should be. You mentioned something along the lines like it's black friday aka a special occasion where farang will act like that which implies that they are good role models 364 days of the year while obviously chinese act like that all the time everywhere which couldn't be further from the truth and mind telling me how is black friday a supposedly much bigger event compared to those tourists at the buffet table? Those tourists might have seen such a good spread like that the first time in their lives. To them it would probably be like black friday. Also why is black friday such a special occasion? Is it the only time in the entire year where they have such sales? The richest, most abundant country in the world has a sale and its citizens act like starving refugees from somalia only this time it isn't food that they are grabbing but electronic items.

As for your posting on it was nothing racial about the others comments i suggest you go back and read them again. Looking at that video of some chinese tourists acting like that and then generalizing all chinese to be like them isn't chinese bashing? whistling.gif

Ah, no! My points remain quite focused; I do not "complicate things." "...something along the lines of..." need not be paraphrased, just quote what I said. Its easy, it'd be in the posts before you begin to write. Thank you.

Noting the absurd contrast of once a year "black friday" (where in the US people die) in no way translates to "they are good role model." Again, you project. This is your statement, not mine. Howitizer posted this. No one else did.

These tourists have not seen such a good spread like this for the first time in their lives. In a world of possibilities... yea, it could be true. But Chinese eat in group settings exclusively. I am a Traditional Chinese medicine doc, I am a qigong practitioner and nei dan trainer. I have attended a Chinese grad school. My circle of friends are primarily Chinese... i am pretty confident my observations in the previous post were correct- this behavior is deplorable for any one- Chinese, western, Asian, occidental... anyone. Deplorable behavior; herd-like, massing, instinctive.

Also, I advise you read clearly before posting impulsively. I have never commented on other posters with regard to race, except to go out of my way to make clear that race is most certainly not a part of this behavior. I make clear it is deplorable for any people. It is you who insert this. If you must project your own thoughts do not do so as others' posts.

Indeed, if you cannot follow the thread at the big people table you will have to return to the small dinner table. Dissecting your reasoning in an effort to be civil has exhausted me. I shall not respond further.

Ah, no! My points remain quite focused; I do not "complicate things." "...something along the lines of..." need not be paraphrased, just quote what I said. Its easy, it'd be in the posts before you begin to write. Thank you.

Noting the absurd contrast of once a year "black friday" (where in the US people die) in no way translates to "they are good role model." Again, you project. This is your statement, not mine. Howitizer posted this. No one else did.

These tourists have not seen such a good spread like this for the first time in their lives. In a world of possibilities... yea, it could be true. But Chinese eat in group settings exclusively. I am a Traditional Chinese medicine doc, I am a qigong practitioner and nei dan trainer. I have attended a Chinese grad school. My circle of friends are primarily Chinese... i am pretty confident my observations in the previous post were correct- this behavior is deplorable for any one- Chinese, western, Asian, occidental... anyone. Deplorable behavior; herd-like, massing, instinctive.

Also, I advise you read clearly before posting impulsively. I have never commented on other posters with regard to race, except to go out of my way to make clear that race is most certainly not a part of this behavior. I make clear it is deplorable for any people. It is you who insert this. If you must project your own thoughts do not do so as others' posts.

Indeed, if you cannot follow the thread at the big people table you will have to return to the small dinner table. Dissecting your reasoning in an effort to be civil has exhausted me. I shall not respond further.

What the hell are you writing about? You were insinuating that in the US ppl only act like that on say a day like black friday hence it would be fair to ask so are they such good role models the rest of the year?

Also weren't you implying that the chinese act like those tourists at the buffet?

Please defend the chinese like how you have so valiently defended the US ppl after someone mentioned black friday and ppl making stereotypical comments on chinese all because of one buffet video.

PS you might want to tone down on your wording. Long flowing paragraphs of text that could easily be summarized in 1 or 2 sentences is a headache to read are you that long winded in real life? Gosh you give old grandmas a run of their money.