Are European kids smarter than Thai kids?

Inspire

This is the old argument between intelligence versus environment. Thai children have the same basic intelligence levels as Western children, However, in Thailand the environment does not foster learning. The way lessons are presented; the authoritarianism of teachers who don't want the students to ask questions; and the culture itself which sees questions as possible confrontations does not lend itself to individual development. I also believe the government does not want a learned population for the reasons that a prior poster indicated. An educated population threatens the elite which needs to keep the population unskilled so they can pay them low wages and get richer.

My Thai step daughter is a Senior and has gone to private Thai schools. She has gotten as good a Thai education as possible in Thailand . She will go on to University and get a degree. However, when she gets into the working World, her initial salary will be 15-20K per month. She will not be able to get a Government job because we have no connections. She won't get into the police force or Thai Officer's school because of the cost involved under the table. She will have to make her way either in the Thai business World or go abroad. We have a friend who has a daughter who graduated University and went to New York where she washes dishes and cooks in a Thai restaurant and makes about $2000 per month (70.000 Baht) Now, I understand why so many Thais want to leave Thailand to work abroad. I also understand why so many uneducated Thais work in the entertainment industry instead of make 6K Baht per month in a factory.

The cost of living in Thailand is ever increasing and most people have a hard time getting by month to month. This is unsustainable and Thailand will have to change the way it educates its people and the way the wealthy interact with the rest of the population.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmmm, wrote instead of rote and the subsequent criticism from our regular barstool commandos and masters of the English language - I guess that would be similar to the bastardisation of English by the Americans in using 'z' instead of 's' and writing paycheck instead of pay cheque; just two examples in this thread alone.

Bob A. Relaxed in Lampang

I think you should understand there is a difference between regional spellings and ignorance.

Edited by BritManToo

Although It is much more difficult to succeed when of mixed race here it is not impossible and some have reached senior positions such as Mechai Viravaidya who was a deputy minister under Prem and Minister for Tourism under Anand.

Mixed race Thai/Chinese seem to have no problems.

Just as an aside- Americans spell some things differently because that is how we were taught in school. The British use a different system because that is how they also were taught in school. Both are correct and have nothing to do with ignorance or intelligence but rather culture and where one was educated.

Although It is much more difficult to succeed when of mixed race here it is not impossible and some have reached senior positions such as Mechai Viravaidya who was a deputy minister under Prem and Minister for Tourism under Anand.

It is very difficult to class Thai/Chinese as mixed race in a Thai context since by doing so you would also have to identify what a Thai person is which would create all sorts of problems.

Have a good read about the state of "education" in at least one Western country before passing judgement on the Thai system

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationopinion/11285915/We-dont-need-education-reform-we-need-a-whole-new-system.html

I hope you're not trying to equate the British education system to the Thai system.

There is no comparison whatsoever. The average British school-leaver at 16 has greater knowledge than the average Thai university graduate.

If you read the article, it's all about IMPROVING the education system

At least the British recognize that it can be improved and actually try to do something about it. The British government don't purposely try to keep the general population dumb to further their own ends like the Thai elite do.

Edited by KarenBravo

Have a good read about the state of "education" in at least one Western country before passing judgement on the Thai system

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationopinion/11285915/We-dont-need-education-reform-we-need-a-whole-new-system.html

I hope you're not trying to equate the British education system to the Thai system.

There is no comparison whatsoever. The average British school-leaver at 16 has greater knowledge than the average Thai university graduate.

At least the British recognize that it can be improved and actually try to do something about it. The British government don't purposely try to keep the general population dumb to further their own ends like the Thai elite do.

Many British school leavers are unemployable, are virtually illiterate and innumerate .

So yes the "system" does require improvement !

Check facts before defending the indefensible !

http://www.teachingtimes.com/articles/school-leavers-functionally-illiterate.htm

Edited by johnatong

Many British school leavers are unemployable, are virtually illiterate and innumerate .

Yes, true. Maybe those are the students that don't want to learn, or, aren't so clever.

If you WANT to learn, you can. British students are encouraged to ask questions, to think critically and problem solve. Do you claim the same for the Thai education system?

A yes, or no answer is enough. You don't have to bother creating another straw-man argument.

Yes, true. Maybe those are the students that don't want to learn, or, aren't so clever.

If you WANT to learn, you can. British students are encouraged to ask questions, to think critically and problem solve. Do you claim the same for the Thai education system?

A yes, or no answer is enough. You don't have to bother creating another straw-man argument.

I only know about one Thai school , unlike clever chaps like yourself who have an intimate knowledge of them all.

The answer to your question is YES in the case of the Thai school I know !

I don't need to know all the schools.

I can evaluate the hundreds and hundreds of the products of Thai schools that I have met and conversed with.

PS.People who make excuses in support of the abysmal Thai education system are part of the problem.

PPS. This Thai school that you claim teaches critical thinking and encourages questions, wouldn't happen to be an International school would it?

If not, I don't believe you. No Thai teacher would risk losing face by encouraging questions that they may not know the answer to, or, have their answer proved wrong.

Edited by KarenBravo

I don't need to know all the schools.

I can evaluate the hundreds and hundreds of the products of Thai schools that I have met and conversed with.

PS.People who make excuses in support of the abysmal Thai education system are part of the problem.

PPS. This Thai school that you claim teaches critical thinking and encourages questions, wouldn't happen to be an International school would it?

If not, I don't believe you. No Thai teacher would risk losing face by encouraging questions that they may not know the answer to, or, have their answer proved wrong.

You are of course WRONG but you will never risk "losing face" by admitting to a lack of knowledge, ignorance and being a committed Thai basher !

Instead of a personal attack, try answering my questions............or is it that you can't without looking like a plonker?

As I've lived here for 36 years, I don't think it is knowledge that I'm lacking.

As for the notion of losing face, I despise the whole concept of "face". It's the single biggest cause of all the problems in this country, including the poor standard of education.

Edited by KarenBravo

Instead of a personal attack, try answering my questions............or is it that you can't without looking like a plonker?

As I've lived here for 36 years, I don't think it is knowledge that I'm lacking.

As for the notion of losing face, I despise the whole concept of "face". It's the single biggest cause of all the problems in this country, including the poor standard of education.

Sure ! And you have visited every Thai School in Thailand --all of them smile.png

I did answer your question but will make my answer clearer !

NO, NOT an INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL but a THAI school !

30 years and he has learnt nothing apart from how to bash and rubbish Thais !

Which one horse village do you live in ?

Edited by johnatong

Journalist writing about educational standards & language proficiency who can't spell 'rote'.

Nice one!

What country did you go to school?

"Rote learning is a memorization technique based on repetition. The idea is that one will be able to quickly recall the meaning of the material the more one repeats it. Some of the alternatives to rote learning include meaningful learning, associative learning, and active learning."

Your contribution to the thread, by providing the correct spelling, and definition of the word "Rote" is most appreciated.

The OP probably speaks English as a second language. A little generousity toward other posters, on your part, costs you absolutely nothing.

Apparently, you did get "the discernible" drift of the Op's meaning, so the point of your put-down of the OP's spelling proficiency, was to what avail? Do you feel better about yourself, now? I certainly hope so, for your future sake.

Here's a news-flash, just for you, and your constituency: "you really need to get off that high-horse you're riding on this forum (of all places to do such), and grow-up there, sir!"

Now, have a nice person's day, for a change. Cheers, and friendly regardscoffee1.gif

Edited by TuskegeeBen

Sure ! And you have visited every Thai School in Thailand --all of them smile.png

I did answer your question but will make my answer clearer !

NO, NOT an INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL but a THAI school !

30 years and he has learnt nothing apart from how to bash and rubbish Thais !

Which one horse village do you live in ?

I've already told you that it's not necessary to visit schools. I look at their products.

I'm not bashing Thais. I'm bashing their education system. Can't you tell the difference?

My "one horse village" happens to be Phuket, but, I've been all around the country in my time.

The small soi I live in has a family that are all retired English teachers. All of them can read and write, but, only one of them can speak English. What chance do the children have if the teachers don't know their subject?

Yet more insults. Pretty much proof that you're losing the discussion.

May I suggest that if you can't defend your position without resorting to insults, you refrain from commenting. You're just not qualified.

Journalist writing about educational standards & language proficiency who can't spell 'rote'.

Nice one!

"Rote learning is a memorization technique based on repetition. The idea is that one will be able to quickly recall the meaning of the material the more one repeats it. Some of the alternatives to rote learning include meaningful learning, associative learning, and active learning."

Your contribution to the thread, by providing the correct spelling, and definition of the word "Rote" is most appreciated.

The OP probably speaks English as a second language. A little generousity toward other posters, on your part, costs you absolutely nothing.

Apparently, you did get "the discernible" drift of the Op's meaning, so the point of your put-down of the OP's spelling proficiency, was to what avail? Do you feel better about yourself, now? I certainly hope so, for your future sake.

Here's a news-flash, just for you, and your constituentcy: "you really need to get off that high-horse you're riding on this forum (of all places to do such), and grow-up there, sir!"

Now, have a nice person's day, for a change. Cheers, and friendly regardscoffee1.gif

You should have read the original !
"Frozen by her precocious command of my native language, I just stared in disbelief. After a few seconds she held up the plate again and smiled sweetly,"
Did you spell check your post ?

I only know about one Thai school , unlike clever chaps like yourself who have an intimate knowledge of them all.

The answer to your question is YES in the case of the Thai school I know !

As a sign of empathy towards children from foreigners who are not financially fortunate enough to sent their kids to an international school, could you please provide the full details of the school you are referring to.

Thanks.

I have taught all over the world, and the one absolute I've seen: kids are kids are kids.

Thai kids are burdened with a horrible educational system that CANNOT evolve while the rampant cultural hubris keeps improvement locked up in chains. The All Pass System is quickly understood, generally all the kids get this by age 10. Why should they try any harder when they will get a passing grade by sitting there, doodling on a piece of paper or passing notes in class?

They're no "smarter" or any less capable. You throw seed on rocky soil, it won't grow very well.

I'm a well educated lad, financially secure and married to a stellar girl.

I live between two Uni's and many schools in BKK and am part of a large extended family.

I, like many of us have a strong desire to know what, how, why, where and when. I stopped asking her family anything quite some time ago as "face" prevents me doing so.

Education is not valued within the family. As a consequence, we will not have a child.

I'm 45 and my wife is 38.

On point, I believe environment, education and opportunity are the main prerequisites for making a smarter child. It's just I haven't met any smart ones here in town and trust me, I've met many of all ages.

A point to note, this afternoon I swam 2kms in a 50m club pool with gym and 400m running track close to home. 130B annual membership, 15B per use. Again, there was not a single person within the sports centre nor pool.

That reinforces my belief that although we might all be born the same, those of European origin will grow to be taller, stronger and smarter.

I'd like my own child to have the same opportunities as I did.

It doesn't happen in this country so no child to be.

Nice one!

Yes. "... learning by wrote." Too funny. It's unfortunate that the author will not likely understand the irony.

The writter is X-Special forces from the US just behind Thailand in education standards.

Why the hate?

Sent from my c64

I believe it has to do with the Thai education system and not the intelligence of the students. If you have a system where everyone passes that does not require dilligent learning. Thai Students I have met who were educated in the NZ and other Countries education systems certainly are not Dumb. One young thai lady i know in NZ is fluent in 7 languages having majored in Russian and French at University.

Good education at the schools must be followed at the home by the parents to have any use and get the best out of the kids. Whatever their best is. Not all kids can become a rocketscientist.

Thai culture, but not restricted only to Thailand, makes it way more difficult. Hierarchical structure of society, face, fear, nationalism, selfcentredness, solely focussed inward, lack of parents education etc etc, makes it almost an impossible task. I truly believe that most of the past governments, and present one, dont really care about getting a well educated populace. This hidden manipulation, way of thinking, is thus taken over by a majority of that same populace. And so the cycle continues.

For King, Buddha and Thailand !

Bird McIntyre