NCPO grants police powers to military

webfact

I think that it is not possible for you and I to discuss this subject.

We do not merely have polarised views, we also have deeply entrenched views. And I am too ill to engage in trench warfare, knowing that neither myself or the other person is going to move an inch.

In my social-science books, I put stability and security before anything else, as I believe stability and security are the foundations upon which everything can be built. I support the current leadership, as they have brought stability and security. You prefer the leadership of PTP to the current leadership. That is your view, and I respect it. However, neither of us are going to change our views, and I could sit here and write essays about why I have my views, it would make no difference.

So I will bid you farewell, and I will just let history decide which of these two positions was the right one.

My position is based upon the rule of law and a respect for the fundamental principles of justice. You refuse to recognize that past democratically elected governments were sabotaged and were often prevented from making substantive changes because of the military. This is a historical and undisputed fact.

I am opposed to corruption. It revolted me in Phuket and was in your face and everywhere. Corruption is far worse today for the simple reason that no one is accountable. Under the former system, abuse and malfeasance was brought to the public light. The opposition went after wrong doers. The PTP did it to Abhisit when he was PM and the Democrats did it to Yingluck when she was PM. The system worked in that respect, Now, the military rules supreme, accountable to no one. It does as it pleases and there is no oversight. That's your perfect world.

You advocate despotic rule, under the premise of "stability". You advocate the denial of basic human rights under the premise of your personal "peace". It is people like you who are the cause of violent uprisings, because you support robbing the people of their freedom of expression and give them no other option but to rise up against those who would deny them justice. I believe that respect for the human rights of others, the Golden Rule of doing to others as we would have done unto us should be respected. You support prison camps for those who voice dissent. You advocate intimidation and the disappearance of those who speak out against injustice.

Yes, you can call me a silly westerner poisoned by the concepts of democracy and freedom for which my family fought and died for since the Great War, but they were concepts worth fighting for and concepts which is my duty to uphold. Military rule never works and often ends with bloodshed. You are wishing death and destruction on Thailand. I offer that it is you and those who share your views who are the wrongdoers.

ed. very bad spelling. sorry

Edited by geriatrickid

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also on the issues of "stability" the deep south of Thailand is still a warzone. The army have complete control now and yet seem happy to ignore all the death and destruction down there.

But hey you know, all those hugely minor by comparison protests (that the army were comlplicit in) here in good ol' center of the universe BKK are over so ya know, go military rule! whistling.gif

I think that it is not possible for you and I to discuss this subject.

We do not merely have polarised views, we also have deeply entrenched views. And I am too ill to engage in trench warfare, knowing that neither myself or the other person is going to move an inch.

In my social-science books, I put stability and security before anything else, as I believe stability and security are the foundations upon which everything can be built. I support the current leadership, as they have brought stability and security. You prefer the leadership of PTP to the current leadership. That is your view, and I respect it. However, neither of us are going to change our views, and I could sit here and write essays about why I have my views, it would make no difference.

So I will bid you farewell, and I will just let history decide which of these two positions was the right one.

"In my social-science books, I put stability and security before anything else, as I believe stability and security are the foundations upon which everything can be built."

I see. Stability as demonstrated in North Korea, and as was once in Burma/Myanmar. Don't you hate the halting return to the chaos of democracy in Burma? That's why you're cheering on the junta's move towards that wonderful, stable military government that Burma once had.

During the original Star Wars trilogy you were the one rooting for the Empire.

I enjoyed your use of North Korea as an example of "stability and security." The fact that NK is not stable or secure, is of minor importance isn't it.

On stability, NK is held together by external financial support, it is teetering on the brink of catastrophic macro-famine, manufacturing and industry and science are uniformly hijacked for unstable endeavours. It is what I would use as an example of "unstable."

On security, NK have been rattling toy sabres forever, and striving to obtain a real sabre, with which to rattle. There is nothing secure about a nation that wishes it had the power to wage wars abroad, and is hurtling towards conflict with all the speed it can muster.

Of all the arguments against the current leadership in Thailand, the "but, but, but, North Korea, Nazi Germany!" arguments are the most ridiculous and easiest to topple. Those examples are of nations who wish/ed to engage in foreign wars of conquest. Thailand is no such nation, the military is defensive to protect the security of the Sovereign Kingdom and all persons therein. Thailand also has a unique culture and philosophy which to a certain degree inoculate it against this type of external conquest war behaviour. In comparing Thailand to those situations, you are totally undermining your own argument.

I was replying to your comment:

"I put stability and security before anything else, as I believe stability and security are the foundations upon which everything can be built."

North Korea has been ruled by the same family for 70 years with no serious threat to this rule since the conclusion of the Korean War. As far as its despotic leaders are concerned, it is stable. Stability is maintained by brutal suppression of human rights and results in economic backwardness and occasional famines, but the leadership doesn't care. North Korea is an example of a country with a stable foundation and little else.

Thailand will never be exactly like North Korea, but if Thailand continues to alternate between overt military rule and a veneer of democratic government with the traditional powers controlling things and staging coups when convenient, it too will be a country with a stable foundation and little else.

As far as models of governance, the junta seems to prefer the methods used by the Burmese military combined with the kind of tight control of media demonstrated by China. However the Thai people, especially the young, have been exposed to democracy and the outside world, and they don't want what the traditional elites want.

I will agree with you on one general point about North Korea; a government that continues to frustrate the will and well-being of its people is inherently unstable, however this instability can usually be overcome by repressive means. North Korea and Thailand under military rule share this instability.

They are bracing for the big transition. That's the only issue of any relevance.

I'll be buying food supply for a few weeks at that stage I guess. Would not want to walk too much on the street.

Source - http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1459513268&section=11

BANGKOK — The junta has put the final touches on a seven-day reeducation program reserved exclusively for politicians to be held at military bases, the army chief said today.

The invitation-only program is meant for the junta’s persistent critics. It is currently seeking “students,” Gen. Teerachai Nakwanich said Friday, referring to those who will be forcibly enrolled.

“This course is not available by application,” he said. “It’s only for those who cannot make sense, so we must call them to create understanding.”

Edited by metisdead
14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

The mantra here has been for ages: Police no good. Army good. Prayuth knows that too. Me thinks most Thai don't give a flying xxx about this thingy. As long as they can eat rice and consume cheap consumer goods they're happy.

Cutting education funding translates into keeping people stupid.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1459496361&section=11&typecate=06

And the level of education was already so bloody poor. Armies aren't the smartest educators we all know. Befehl ist befehl is their way. We will see what will happen on the long-term. I'm just a tourist now and I dont care about thailands future any longer. Affordable accommodation, good weather and a cold Leo at night are my priorities ?

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1459496361&section=11&typecate=06

And the level of education was already so bloody poor. Armies aren't the smartest educators we all know. Befehl ist befehl is their way. We will see what will happen on the long-term. I'm just a tourist now and I dont care about thailands future any longer. Affordable accommodation, good weather and a cold Leo at night are my priorities ?
Well, the level of education wasn't that poor after all, it seemed to be affecting "the peace, order and stability". Rule number one is don't think too much, do as you are being told. Edited by lkv

To quote a science fiction movie; "So this is how democracy dies... with thunderous applause." - though in the edited version, that's now more fitting, it says "So this is how liberty dies... with thunderous applause." - make your pick wai.gif

As disturbing as the previous links posted here are, I find this one even more disturbing.

Wonderful.

It makes sense to the elite--they can afford to keep their kids in school, indoctrination of the peasants can begin at an early age, and the elite can stick with their claim that the masses are ignorant buffaloes that shouldn't have any say in government.

I'm not sure the rest of the country will take it so well. In fact, if the voters learn that this constitution requires them to pay for their children's education past age 15, that issue alone will be enough to guarantee the constitution is rejected in a fair election. Kind of makes you wonder what the junta has in mind.

As well as the last 3 years of education not being provided, this bit I found rather spine chilling:

Article 30 states that civilians can be forcibly conscripted as laborers not only in times of war but anytime an emergency decree or martial law is in effect.

As well as the last 3 years of education not being provided, this bit I found rather spine chilling:

Article 30 states that civilians can be forcibly conscripted as laborers not only in times of war but anytime an emergency decree or martial law is in effect.

Jesus Christ. Pol Pot and Kim would be proud of that one.

And people actually willed for and wanted this government!

That was common practice in Myanmar before it became semi-democratic. Thailand is heading to the place that Myanmar is trying to climb out of.

That was common practice in Myanmar before it became semi-democratic. Thailand is heading to the place that Myanmar is trying to climb out of.

Or is it all put in place to ease Thailand through potential difficult times?

Or is it all put in place to ease Thailand through potential difficult times?

I am trying to think of what kind of difficult times would require the peacetime conscription of civilian labor. I'm drawing a blank.

I like the way you use Frightfully Important terms like "macro-famine" to mask the fact you are either making things up or simply don't know what you are talking about. The food situation in the DPRK is better than it has been in a good while and the economy is likewise improving. Furthermore the DPRK has not invaded one foreign country in its history or even threatened to, nor do they have a military government.

Unstable, is it? How many coups has it undergone since 1948? And how many has Thailand? Nice try, though.

I was taught to use "macro" rather than "mass" for certain sociological brackets. Mass is a useful term for some things though. I don't see what is frightfully important about the words "famine" or indeed "macro."

Famine in NK is cloaked by the fact external monitors are discouraged from reporting it. The reports I've been reading are of an exponential macro-famine effect. This means that famine gets a lot worse generationally, people are born to malnourished parents, and are malnourished in childhood. This means the normal term of famine does not suffice.

You ask why it is unstable? You judge stability on numbers of coups alone? Stability equals food for everyone, a manufacturing base that benefits the citizens, a solid infrastructure again to benefit citizens.

"Has never invaded" but is constantly threatening to nuke everybody. If they had the military might, you can be sure they would have been far more aggressive externally. As I said in my post, they wish they had the power for external confrontations. By they I mean the lunatic regime rather than normal NK people.

On Thailand, while it has other major sources of income, tourism is a very big factor here. That is another reason why comparisons to former and current despotic regimes is nonsense. Thailand relies on the positive image of the nation to keep tourism numbers up. Nations such as NK etc. do not have to maintain such a positive image.

I believe that with lowered corruption, tourism here will increase by huge numbers. Tourists love Thailand, and will love it even more when they feel more confident in positive results from corruption-busting initiatives. I wrote an article for the paper a few years ago, which talked about "comparative effects on tourism."

Point one, was that most Western tourists prefer to visit nations that are holding democratic elections. Point two was that most Western tourists prefer to visit nations that are stable and secure, in the electoral process and all other areas.

So on point one, yes, some tourists are discouraged by an emergency pause in elections. However, they can feel reassured that this pause in elections is temporary, and elections will once again be held in the near future.

On point two. Tourists, including myself, were discouraged by the sight of voters being beaten to a pulp outside voting stations in the last election. We were discouraged by political roadblocks, at which a taxi driver was beaten to death. These are extremely negative factors to tourists. They are like saying "yes people have the vote, but look at the political chaos and violence."

My perspective, which I will never budge on, is that point two trumps point one. As a tourist, I am happier to accept an emergency pause in elections, than I am to accept the sight of voters being beaten up at voting stations, or cab drivers being beaten to death at political roadblocks, as we saw last election.

I believe that tourism increases in stable and secure nations, and if that stability and security was achieved by an emergency pause in elections, then that is acceptable to most adult tourists, as they can see the reasons for the pause, and understand that elections will be held again in the near future, when stability and security have been fortified. Those with a less common-sense take on points one and two, will simply shout about North Korea and Orwellian and other things that are completely irrelevant in a nation that relies on a positive, welcoming and friendly image to promote tourism.

Edited by Yunla

I like the way you use Frightfully Important terms like "macro-famine" to mask the fact you are either making things up or simply don't know what you are talking about. The food situation in the DPRK is better than it has been in a good while and the economy is likewise improving. Furthermore the DPRK has not invaded one foreign country in its history or even threatened to, nor do they have a military government.

Unstable, is it? How many coups has it undergone since 1948? And how many has Thailand? Nice try, though.

I was taught to use "macro" rather than "mass" for certain sociological brackets. Mass is a useful term for some things though. I don't see what is frightfully important about the words "famine" or indeed "macro."

Famine in NK is cloaked by the fact external monitors are discouraged from reporting it. The reports I've been reading are of an exponential macro-famine effect. This means that famine gets a lot worse generationally, people are born to malnourished parents, and are malnourished in childhood. This means the normal term of famine does not suffice.

You ask why it is unstable? You judge stability on numbers of coups alone? Stability equals food for everyone, a manufacturing base that benefits the citizens, a solid infrastructure again to benefit citizens.

"Has never invaded" but is constantly threatening to nuke everybody. If they had the military might, you can be sure they would have been far more aggressive externally. As I said in my post, they wish they had the power for external confrontations. By they I mean the lunatic regime rather than normal NK people.

On Thailand, while it has other major sources of income, tourism is a very big factor here. That is another reason why comparisons to former and current despotic regimes is nonsense. Thailand relies on the positive image of the nation to keep tourism numbers up. NK etc do not have to maintain such a positive image.

I believe that with lowered corruption, tourism here will increase by huge numbers. Tourists love Thailand, and will love it even more when they feel more confident in positive results from corruption-busting initiatives. I wrote an article for the paper a few years ago, which talked about "comparative effects on tourism."

Point one, was that most Western tourists prefer to visit nations that are holding democratic elections. Point two was that most Western tourists prefer to visit nations that are stable and secure, in the electoral process and all other areas.

So on point one, yes, some tourists are discouraged by an emergency pause in elections. However, they can feel reassured that this pause in elections is temporary, and elections will once again be held in the near future.

On point two. Tourists, including myself, were discouraged by the sight of voters being beaten to a pulp outside voting stations in the last election. We were discouraged by political roadblocks, at which a taxi driver was beaten to death. These are extremely negative factors to tourists. They are like saying "yes people have the vote, but look at the political chaos and violence."

My point, which I will never budge on, is that point two trumps point one. As a tourist, I am happier to accept an emergency pause in elections, than I am to accept the sight of voters being beaten up at voting stations, or cab drivers being beaten to death at political roadblocks, as we saw last election.

I believe that tourism increases in stable and secure nations, and if that stability and security was achieved by an emergency pause in elections, then that is acceptable to most adult tourists, as they can see the reasons for the pause, and understand that elections will be held again in the near future, when stability and security have been fortified. Those with a less common-sense take on points one and two, will simply shout about North Korea and Orwellian and other things that are completely irrelevant in a nation that relies on a positive, welcoming and friendly image to promote tourism.

Rather muddled post.The tourist industry in Thailand has been remarkably impervious to political uncertainty (and even street violence) and over the years has been little if any impact on arrivals/spending.This is good news and of course also reflects the importance of tourist centres outside Bangkok, and that political disturbance has been very localised.There is no systemic risk to tourists as in Egypt for example.Your comment on the Junta's corruption busting is absurd for reasons which have been well rehearsed elsewhere.

The impact of delayed elections on tourism is neither here nor there.The concern of millions of Thais is however that when elections are held there will be no return to democracy in any recognisable sense.

I fail to see how to see how lowered corruption could influence tourism. Please give an example. Your average tourist just likes cheap , plush, nice looking features. If those features are doubly plush for the price because of maybe some dodgy accounting, I would bet the tourist is losing no sleep over it, whatsoever.

Perhaps the more pressing question is for how long the image can prevail over the reality.

This is really a larger version of Thai sociology on a daily basis. You have your image and you have the reality. At some point in many cases the reality becomes more important than the image. In many cases the image is perpetuated, for many reasons to lengthy to discuss. But experience tells us that the perpetuation of image often leads to a knock on effect and can multiply the problems down the line.

Voters being beat up during the last election and ballot boxes being held hostage. That was Suthep and his mob. The same Suthep that admitted he had been in cahoots with certain people before he was carted off to be a monk to get him out of the picture for a while.

I seriously despair at how blind some of the "go junta!" posters are. I really do.

Here we go...you couldn't make it up..again !! ...the military giving the military the power to do what they want without warrants..

Looking forward to hear what Human rights organizations have to say about this 'Democratic' decision .

Human light organization tink to mutt!

I'm a fan of Prayuth. I'm not a fan of the BIB. The only time the BIB do their jobs is if they can get paid. A big part of Thailand's problems is the corruption and the police are just not going to do anything about it. Therefore, Prayuth makes this move.

Let's save the condamnation. It's ridiculous. He's trying to clean the cesspool.

It is very unpleasant that you think you have the right to to refer to 25 million people as excrement and part of a cesspool. The disenfranchisement of a population who have twice voted and twice had their will cancelled means that the situation is a bit more complicated than people just being a pool of shit. They are human beings and you and your dismissal of them is nauseating.

Pause in election?? If ever there is an understatement, this is it. Wake up and smell the roses. It's a military lockdown and oppositions are being harassed, intimidated and locked up. Military courts and no arrest warrants. Election only when the junta have their ways with the charter and who knows when. Corruption versus corruption. Crooks against crooks. Human rights at its lowest. And yet there are apologists who are trying to make excuses for the junta.

Continuing the effort to reestablish peace and order in the nation, we are glad to bring to your attention the following headlines today:

Edited by lkv

But is there a shred of a possibility that this could actually BE an anti-corruption measure? I am thinking of the time under Thaksin, when drug pushers were dying, and we all cheered. Maybe not all kosher, but objectively a good thing.

And of Baja California where I lived. It made us proud to see the military there, they were doing a great job in that state, had ended drug violence.

A shred, or no?

While the junta talks about fighting corruption, its actions are against anything resembling criticism or dissent. A Thai woman was arrested for posting a picture on Facebook of herself with a red bowl signed by the Shinawatra's with new year's greetings http://www.ifex.org/thailand/2016/03/31/sedition_redbowl_photo/ . She was charged with sedition and faces seven years in prison. In the same story Deputy PM Chawit defended her arrest:

Thanks Bruce.

Saddening but indisputable.

I happened to read a copy of the Bangkok Post yesterday evening. I was shocked at the mincing around in both news stories and editorials. I texted to my family that it seems Red China has freer expression than Thailand.

Saddening.

(I know I said that already.)

The Peace & Order Trap strikes again.

Friends asked me "" should we travel there?

I answered its a conscious decision these days.

Certainly , it's a degree in need of consideration but largely safe.

Some moral & ethical issues are starting to arise about propping up the Military state.

But it's a personal matter

Safety wise it's ok still.

Wear modest stuff...don't wear gold or diamond rings.

Carry small amounts .

No jet skis .

Carry Pollution mask .

Don't trust touts or tour guide program's offered.

Meter.

The junta have actually done some good ...but it's transitioning now to scary entrenched strong armed enforcement.

AA Camps and rigged election stuff in pipe line.

Round ups and powers .

Lots of fear.

Some murders in tourist sector and potential of civil unrest.

Thailand is transitioning

It's balls are gone

Now comes the rest.

Edited by Plutojames88

On Thailand, while it has other major sources of income, tourism is a very big factor here. That is another reason why comparisons to former and current despotic regimes is nonsense. Thailand relies on the positive image of the nation to keep tourism numbers up. Nations such as NK etc. do not have to maintain such a positive image.

My perspective, which I will never budge on, is that point two trumps point one. As a tourist, I am happier to accept an emergency pause in elections, than I am to accept the sight of voters being beaten up at voting stations, or cab drivers being beaten to death at political roadblocks, as we saw last election.

I see, your priority is to have a peaceful, stable place for a vacation, one unsullied by protests and messy elections. You should reconsider North Korea, it never has protests or elections.

You seem upset that people were beaten to a pulp while trying to vote. Does it upset you that the coup rewarded the people who were doing the beating in order to prevent the election? They were literally dancing in the street.

I mean look, they don't even bother to hide it anymore.

"Prayoon told AFP that 5,800 red bowls were seized. He said: "If we allow these bowls to be distributed, it could benefit some political parties or result in losses to others."​"

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Military-to-decide-on-red-bowls-case-30283186.html

Edited by lkv