Filipino Con Artist On Sukumvit

Spaniel

Hmmm, perhaps only a Filipino/Filipina is unware that they unquestionably have a very distinctive brand of English-speaking accent?

It is as simple as distinguishing a supposed throughbred Thai slipping into Khmer speak from the real thing when they say they have never been out of Bangkok, or a born and bred Geordie claiming he grew up in Surbiton and had never travelled.

OK, possibly someone of limited immersion in the region might be forgiven for finding the oh so obvious fact unpalatable, but for anyone to get so defensive does beg a question or two... :o

Fawn seems to be up in arms defending all Filipinos asking for proof etc..

I was down Sukhumvit yesterday and the same style guys found me.. only difference being is that I speak some Tagalog... were they Filipino? Yes, and proud of it.

Every country has its share of con-artists, and it's not a reflection of the entire population, doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

This has turned into a Filipino bashing thread and thats not right ...!

This has not turned into a Filipino bashing thread at all. It is a Filipino scammers bashing thread though. Please don't play the racist card thinking you are being PC.

Not PC at all BKK but its seems the MOOD of the thread is turning rather personal against Filipinos ... whether intended or not ...

Really? I haven't seen anything racist in this thread at all. If there is please report it, racism is not allowed and hopefully not tolerated on this website.

You do realise we are only talking about a couple of Filipino people here and not all of them?

I only added my story because I reread the OP and it sounded so identical that I would imagine they are the same people. If the OP comes back online maybe we can confirm that they are the same people.

I was down Sukhumvit yesterday and the same style guys found me.. only difference being is that I speak some Tagalog... were they Filipino? Yes, and proud of it.

Every country has its share of con-artists, and it's not a reflection of the entire population, doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

Did they use the same 'nice shoes' line? I knew it was a scam at this point coz my Nikes didnt survive the floods and have a hole in the side. :o

What part of Suk road did you see them on? One of them with a bit of a spiky hairstyle thing going on, quite dark skinned, blue checked shirt, done the intial approach?

Edited by bkkmadness

its dead easy to spot a philipino accent. you don't need to be an expert linguist.

they curl their 'r's like americans, but the majority of pinoys can't pronounce 'f', replacing it with a 'p' instead. that's the accent in a nut shell.

no other south east asian nationality speaks english in the same way.

Dude, give me your number!

I'll talk to you and prove you wrong!

PS - Please stop generalizing! Try using SOME or MOST next time, especially if you don't have proof about what you're saying!

Edited by GracelessFawn

Here we go!!!!!!!!!! Rushing to conclusions!

We're all adults here!

Do you even know if you talked to the same guys? And can we pls. check into this info and dig a bit more before we start the free for all bashing............?????????????????

Edited by GracelessFawn

Well, unlike your "holy" footware, I was wearing an attractive set of foot paddings, so the comment was justified.

Saw them outside The Westin, 2 guys, mid 30s, very well spoken, yes dark skinned (although thats hardly a defining feature in Thailand).

Here we go!!!!!!!!!! Rushing to conclusions!

We're all adults here!

Do you even know if you talked to the same guys? And can we pls. check into this info and dig a bit more before we start the free for all bashing............

"taga pinas ka?" was all I needed to say.

Free for all bashing?... Didn't bother to read the last part of my quote did you.

its dead easy to spot a philipino accent. you don't need to be an expert linguist.

they curl their 'r's like americans, but the majority of pinoys can't pronounce 'f', replacing it with a 'p' instead. that's the accent in a nut shell.

no other south east asian nationality speaks english in the same way.

Dude, give me your number!

I'll talk to you and prove you wrong!

PS - Please stop generalizing! Try using some or most!

Jesus Christ, we are not talking about all Filipinos. The Filipino accent is very easy to spot when SOME Filipinos speak English. We are talking about two people on Sukhumvit road who seem to have this distinct Filipino accent.

This has turned into a Filipino bashing thread and thats not right ...!

This has not turned into a Filipino bashing thread at all. It is a Filipino scammers bashing thread though. Please don't play the racist card thinking you are being PC.

Quite right: thieves of any nationality should be named and shamed: The prime ministers wife was a victim; see Thai visa link below:

Filipina steals handbag from Khunying Potjaman Shinawatra

I followed this report for awhile...............

If only you had dug a bit further, instead of jumping the gun........ you will know that the Filipino name was cleared! The speculations were wrong... It was someone else with another nationality who commited the crime!

Ok Graceless to be fair, we don't know they are the same guys.

It is however pretty likely since three people have now been approached by some guys on Sukhumvit Road commenting on 'nice shoes' (vanzam can u confirm?).

The first person approached suggested that they may be Filipino because of what reason we don't know, most probably the accent. The second person was approached by two guys one of which spoke English with a Filipino accent, the third person was approached by some guys (how many?) and had a chat with them in Tagalog where they confirmed they were from the Phillipines.

Its a fair assumption to guess they are a new crew (perhaps even from the Phillipines! :o ) in town and have started hitting the Sukhumvit road. Of course it could be three different groups, but I'd doubt it.

Fawn, it appears that your patriotism is clouding your judgment, this thread is not a phils bashing thread, and everyone has been very careful not to turn it into one.

However many times that pointed out to you, you seem to just keep pushing the subject.

I strongly suggest you work on your own insecurities rather than attempt to find faults in others.

EDIT: Yes Mr. Madness, they thoroughly enjoyed the experience they had with my shoes (as so many others do also).

Edited by VanZam

thought you folks might want to see one of graceless fawns old posts......I am from the Philippines so I came here for a lot of combined reasons........

1 My country is so messed-up politically and financially because of our corrupt politicians who who only look after their own interested. Of course, the people in my country has something to do with it as well. A lot of the people in my country are too lazy to work, always looking for "nice jobs/postions" instead of making do with what's available, and always blaming the government for everything. I didn't want to fall into the same trap!

Fawn, it appears that your patriotism is clouding your judgment, this thread is not a phils bashing thread, and everyone has been very careful not to turn it into one.

However many times that pointed out to you, you seem to just keep pushing the subject.

I strongly suggest you work on your own insecurities rather than attempt to find faults in others.

Well, what do you expect me to do?

People write things like as if they were facts even if they don't have any proof! The Filipino English-accent was even talked about, yet none dared to give me their number or ask for my # in PM! Some even wrote based on suspicion! Come on.........

Alright........... Everyone, have fun with the bashing!

Edited by GracelessFawn

seems gracelessfawn bashes filipino's herself............this is from her(actually HIS) own post history.....................................................I am from the Philippines so I came here for a lot of combined reasons........

1 My country is so messed-up politically and financially because of our corrupt politicians who who only look after their own interested. Of course, the people in my country has something to do with it as well. A lot of the people in my country are too lazy to work, always looking for "nice jobs/postions" instead of making do with what's available, and always blaming the government for everything. I didn't want to fall into the same trap!

Oh dear Ms. Fawn, you dont seem to have read my post before clicking the reply button, perhaps it's time to re-think your signature.

Mr. Mad, yes they sound like the same guys, outside the Westin.

Well, what do you expect me to do?

People write things like as if they were facts without proof!

Alright........... Everyone, have fun with the bashing!

What proof do you need? Assumptions were made and it looks like the assumptiuons turned out to be pretty accurate. If this were about Thai scammers, you wouldn't have said a single word.

And yes, we'll have fun bashing the Filipino scammers, bastards aren't they.

The Filipino English-accent was even talked about, yet none dared to give me their number or ask for my # in PM! Some even wrote based on suspicion! Come on.........

And why would calling you have helped us? Do all Filipinos speak with English with the same accent as you? I would doubt it. I would guess that some speak without much accent, whilst others speak with a distinctive accent. Pretty foolish to think otherwise.

It seems the two lads that hang around outside the Westin speak with that distinctive accent since two non Tagalog speaking people also guessed they were from the Phillipines.

Edited by bkkmadness

seems gracelessfawn bashes filipino's herself............this is from her(actually HIS) own post history.....................................................I am from the Philippines so I came here for a lot of combined reasons........

1 My country is so messed-up politically and financially because of our corrupt politicians who who only look after their own interested. Of course, the people in my country has something to do with it as well. A lot of the people in my country are too lazy to work, always looking for "nice jobs/positions" instead of making do with what's available, and always blaming the government for everything. I didn't want to fall into the same trap!

Did I talked about Filipino Cons in Sukhumvit???????????????????????????

What are you trying to prove man?

I read your post history...which anyone in this forum can do.You are a con man.You have admitted in previous posts to being a man.You have bashed filipinos in previous posts.I invite all members to take a look for themselves..............I am through talking with you....you are a disgrace.

Edited by pumpuiman

1 My country is so messed-up politically and financially because of our corrupt politicians who who only look after their own interested. Of course, the people in my country has something to do with it as well. A lot of the people in my country are too lazy to work, always looking for "nice jobs/positions" instead of making do with what's available, and always blaming the government for everything. I didn't want to fall into the same trap!

Did I talked about Filipino Cons in Sukhumvit???????????????????????????

What are you trying to prove man?

That you are an extremely disgruntled oddfish, known as:

post-3455-1162385300.gif

:o

Really? I haven't seen anything racist in this thread at all. If there is please report it, racism is not allowed and hopefully not tolerated on this website.

There is no racism here. The Filipinos and Thais belong to the same broad race of people (Malays).

I noticed that no one suspected Malaysians? Malaysia has a land border with Thailand and they speak English well.

Edited by tropo

Graceless Fawn I admire your passionate defence of Filipino integrity, (and certainly your avatar) however after reading the forum I can see no substantial evidence of any racism or slight towards Filipinos.

What I read was generally only conjecture and opinion, which by nature is subjective, and not intended to be factual pronouncements. I assume this is self evident to most readers?

It may be you have come across implied or actual racism before and therefore assumed the thread was going that way, made the further connection and rightly then got upset.

However this would be an error on your behalf, and is quite unfair to what the posters have actually intended and written.

Graceless Fawn I admire your passionate defence of Filipino integrity, (and certainly your avatar) however after reading the forum I can see no substantial evidence of any racism or slight towards Filipinos.

What I read was generally only conjecture and opinion, which by nature is subjective, and not intended to be factual pronouncements. I assume this is self evident to most readers?

It may be you have come across implied or actual racism before and therefore assumed the thread was going that way, made the further connection and rightly then got upset.

However this would be an error on your behalf, and is quite unfair to what the posters have actually intended and written.

I would like to clarify some issues.

First, I have never cried racism.

I was merely clarifying the supposedly 'personal encounters with the Filipino cons in Sukhumvit road' incidents. And I never said, that there are no any Filipino cons. I was simply trying to check-out the story and verify what people said happened!

I beg to disagree, but I think that if the members were strong enough to 'suspect and write it in the forum that the cons in Sukhumvit are in fact Filipinos,' I would like to think that I am allowed to examine and double check the supposed arguments!

I am sorry to say this....... but this is the truth. People have never come-up with facts!

There is no racism here. The Filipinos and Thais belong to the same broad race of people (Malays).

I noticed that no one suspected Malaysians? Malaysia has a land border with Thailand and they speak English well.

THEY SPOKE WITH A FILIPINO ACCENT! Why would anyone suspect Malays?

And what the he11 does having a land border have to do with it? Do you really believe the only nationalities that scam people in Thailand have to come here by land?

I would like to clarify some issues.

I was simply trying to check-out the story and verify what people said happened!

I beg to disagree, but I think that if the members were strong enough to 'suspect and write it in the forum that the cons in Sukhumvit are in fact Filipinos,' I would like to think that I am allowed to examine and double check the supposed arguments!

I am sorry to say this....... but this is the truth. People have never come-up with facts!

Ok, we suspected they were Filipino, you argued this in the most illogical way (ie. we are not expert linguists, we had not checked their passports and for some reason kept asking us to call you), we were right, you lost your face, now get over it.

I skimmed past many of the posts here that looked like a bit of a war. Not that it really matters who rips you off but however if you did not plan to go with someone when you got there don’t let someone change your mind. Get their phone number and tell them we can do it another time. How they respond will tell you their intent. At the least you will have their phone number and to some extent that is traceable should you decide to go get ripped off later.

There used to be Filipino con artists in Chiang Mai running the card games for many years, but I think that they got tired of me pointing out that thay were Filipino when they would claim to be Thai.

I know a lot of Filipinos in San Francico and have been to their mother country a few times, so they are most easy to pick out. :o