The Worm Returns - Free In Your Local Tap Water

Speedo1968

Just as last year, about this time some type of worm or fluke is appearing in the tap / shower water ( not from the sink or off the shower floor ).

Have found in the town supply and local housing.

Don't know what it is and I expect even if I presented one to the water company they "Wouldn't "want" to know !"

Whitish and slthers on the floor, even up the wall.

Can I presume if it lays eggs these are invisible ?

Any ideas what they are ? Liver flukes ?

You might like to check with your neighbours and see if they're experiencing any problems with their water supply.

If you're worried about being infected see your doctor. Worm infestation can be treated.

Not liver fluke. These are flat and are passed on from eating raw meat and not via water.

Some sort of fly larva as it seems to be seasonal? Normally the worms you can see are not the parasitic kind - but suggest you fit a good water filter - one with a 'pre-filter' to trap the worms?

Run water into a clean glass , screw top container until you see the worms. Then cap the bottle and take it to the water supply company ( You may need a Thai speaker to assist)

Ask what the worms are and if the water is safe.

The water supply people will be interested and hopefully helpful.

Run water into a clean glass , screw top container until you see the worms. Then cap the bottle and take it to the water supply company ( You may need a Thai speaker to assist)

I commend you on being so optimistic!

Have you been here very long? "Water supply people will be interested." Bless you, may you continue to have faith!

I commend you on being so optimistic!

Have you been here very long? "Water supply people will be interested." Bless you, may you continue to have faith!

I have probably been here as long as you or longer and speak from experience.

As a sarcastic (non Thia speaker ? ) I am not surprised if you experience difficulties !

I have never had a problem with the Thai Authorities, water or otherwise.

To "johnatong" another worm in the water today Wednesday, smaller ( creamy colored like those I have seen before ) and came out with with first turn of shower tap, bit sleepy so didn't catch.

I am also a bit shaky and wear glasses to take a photo so those are did take are all out of focus. Will try again.

Now prepared with bottle and tweezers.

I disconnect shower head every morning until the next day.

Yes, my intention is to take to Water Authority. I especially want to know if these things lay eggs or oocysts. ( Have been infected with pin worm many times - related to working on farms - at least you soon know if they are wriggling inside you ).

Will ask people on same compound if they have seen and if they can check any inline filters they may have - its the same govt pipe line to all.

I have made a filter from the finger off the white working gloves you can buy in the 20 baht shop, fixed tight with elastic band and can be removed for checking easily.

Thanks to other people who posted for their comments.

... I have never had a problem with the Thai Authorities, water or otherwise.

Immediately reminded me of an exchange in a Marx Brothers movie (sorry, forget which one):

Margaret Dumot (huffily): "I've never been so insulted in all my life!"

Groucho (puffing cigar and strutting about the ballroom) "It's early yet!"

... I have never had a problem with the Thai Authorities, water or otherwise.

Immediately reminded me of an exchange in a Marx Brothers movie (sorry, forget which one):

Margaret Dumot (huffily): "I've never been so insulted in all my life!"

Groucho (puffing cigar and strutting about the ballroom) "It's early yet!"

smile.png

Maybe early as I have only lived in Thailand for eleven years so time will tell !

"Sheryl" will post picture as soon as I catch one. Have looked at images online but cant see any clear enough ones.

Possibly with the water temp as it is, too hot too touch, with outside temps 40+, its too hot for their tiny feet .... None found today Friday.

Only visitor today was a young centipede looking for a little moisture in the shower room. Bitten ( not a 'true' bite ) once before at night, didn't feel bite but the burning sensation was painful enough, at least I am not allergic. Found the culprit,10cm plus, have seen biggies in the local field, 20cm + thick as a thumb.

If you know anyone from Australia who knows about leeches in their country I have a question I have been trying to answer since the late 1960's.

Will post again once get photo.

Your Marx Brothers quotation comes from the film 'A Day At The Races" 1937

Archived