Korean Air Flies To Kk, Pattaya

Jai Dee

Korean Air flies to KK, Pattaya

Korean Air is expanding its Southeast Asia network by including two new destinations at Kota Kinabalu, Sabah and Pattaya, Thailand, starting Oct 29 and Oct 31, respectively.

In a statement on Oct 31, Korean Air said it would fly to the tourist and resort destination of East Malaysia four times a week from Incheon International Airport while it would fly three times a week to one of Thailand’s largest tourism centres.

It said the move marked the beginning of a route expansion plan for the coming winter season to meet growing tourist demands and to offer convenient travelling choices for travellers planning their winter holidays with the airline.

Korean Air said it also plans to launch regular flights to Kathmandu, Nepal in November and would be increasing the number of flights to Phuket, Denpasar, Bali (Indonesia), Singapore, Honolulu, Paris and Vladivostock. It also intends to reinstate its Incheon-Christchurch flights and would be offering charter flights to Melbourne.

Source: The Edge Daily - 1 November 2006

Can understand Korean Air flying to Pattaya but why would they want to go to Kota Kinabalu? Very little business and it's hardly a holiday destination just yet.

Just bye and bye, Kota Kinabalu means "land below the wind" because the typhoon winds never go down as far as KK

Edited by Rimmer

For those who read these things, Korean Air's safety record hovers above the inland Chinese crews who fly WW2 vintage planes stuck together with old glue. Get ready to duck in your backgarden.

You not getting Korean Air mixed up with China Airlines are you ?? searching deeply into my beer frazzled brain I can only remember two Korea Air blunders, one was many years ago when it was suspected the Russians shot one down and the other was when they parked one on a volcano site in Hawaii ???

probably my turn to be shot down next :o

Darn it! At first I thought your "KK" referred to Khon Kaen. Now THERE'S a tourist destination, eh?

Flightless in Isaan,

TT

Yeah, me too! Oh well, probably won't be long before Isaan Air starts flying between Korea and Khon Kaen, don't you think? :o

Edited by Soju

KE had a bad safety record during the 1980s and 90s, but these days there's nothing wrong with their safety.

Here's a link to their fatal accidents, with the last one being in 1997.

I read somewhere they almost got banned from Canadian airspace in late 90s.

Since then, if I remember correctly, they hired person responsible for safety from USAir and he brought many others. In 5 years, amidst protest from KA pilots and staff, they have managed to change corporate culture and keep cultural habbits (copilot could not comment or disobey pilot's decissions, etc) and now they are quite good. Members of SkyTeam with KLM, AF, NWA, Continental...10 years ago they were denied (or kicked out from) StarAliance membership due to poor safety record.

Maybe the bobbies are looking younger and i'm living in the past. The airline scarred the <deleted> out of me on an approach to the old Kai Tak HK runway and I swore never again. Perhaps they're now as safe as Afghan Air, I'll take you guy's word on it.

You could get scared shitless on aproaching Kai Tak with any airline on a windy day!

Many amateur video's have been shot of big boeings approaching almost 60 degrees sideways to counter the crosswinds.

Suiging, did you happen to be on this flight???

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photogallery/...e%20Landing.mpg

It happens to be a Korean Air filight :o

You could get scared shitless on aproaching Kai Tak with any airline on a windy day!

Many amateur video's have been shot of big boeings approaching almost 60 degrees sideways to counter the crosswinds.

That's a priceless clip isn't it? Good bit of flying though, the way he turns the aircraft on to the runway at the last minute.

Apparantly a lot of the KAL pilots were ex airforce fighter pilots who were used to taking risks which is just what you don't need with a commercial jet. Now they train them from the outset to be airline pilots first and foremost without taking risks.

Edited by Rimmer

Not sure if it was that one. Let's go and see the snow in Korea says the wife, deeeeerrr ok say I. One week freezing the old nuts off and suicidal Korean pilots both ways. Trust me, if you are in the garden and you see them coming............duck !!!

Crosswinds? The windsock is barely up, doubt the wind was the reason for this bravure.

Edited by think_too_mut