VAT Refunds

Alex2015

Almost certainly not, it's for tourists only sad.png

I don't think this is true. I am not a tourist, living here on a work permit, and have gotten VAT refunded at the airport heading out on vacation several times.

I believe you have a 60 or 90 (not sure) day window to take the item out of the country from day of purchase to get the refund. Of course, you can bring it back with you - nobody checks - which is what I did.

The last time i flew out of BKK this is the measure they used. I hold a work permit and extension of stay based on that work. They didn't care about my "status" (legally working foreigner versus someone on a formal tourist visa or a 15/30 exemption) but did closely count the number of days in THIS calendar (tax) year.

So, while I last entered Thailand in August of 2015 and had not left Thailand until that point, they started the day count from January 1- not back in August.

Initially there was some discussion between the window clerk and her supervisor, but after a phone call (to some known person/department) they did the days count from January 1

I think you can claim the VAT back... However, you'd have to do so within 60 days of purchase.

The last time I was to claim some VAT back at the Airport the queue was huge, 100's of chinese tourists were also queueing to claim their Tax back.

I didn't bother with it.

There used to be 2 VAT refund area's at Suvarnabhumi airport, but for some reason there is now only one which makes it much less convenient to claim back (which I guess could be part of the point !)... .