Phukets Resturants

Wolfie

I'm a little bored with my usual haunts for food (both Thai and falang) and as a vein attempt to broaden my horizons i'd be interested to know where your favorite resturants are...

Heres a few of the ones i've tried/like...

Chalong:

The Family Resturant,

Greek/Mediterianian food, Some Thai food, inexpensive, good food and has a take-away service. Opposite the police station

Bagels & Beyond,

Good snack food, bagels and burritos, no Thai food, not cheap, just down from Sea Bees diving.

Somtam & Sandwiches,

English cafe style resturant, good food both falang and thai, friendly staff and reasonably cheap, on the rawai road, next to Loma

Swiss Delight,

Swiss food, always excellent quality, good pasta and snitzels, not too cheap, on the connection road between the two chaofar roads

Sanook,

German style food, huge portions, good quality, not too expensive, just past "Land & House" housing estate on the right (resturant looks like a boat)

Flintstones Bakery,

Good snack food, Pizzas are ok, the breads never fresh (always seems like yesterdays bread to me), inexpensive, opposite "mikes Bikes" rentals.

Fish & Chip Shop,

Good copy of english fish and chips, they used to deliver (dont know if they still do), not expensive, just down from "Bagels & Beyond", next to the bar called Nok inn shop :o

Kaneang 1 (spelling might be wrong)

Good thai food, cheap as chips, nice views, Right down near the peir.

(have been to a few thai places, but either cant remember the name or was unable to read it due to it being in thai :D)

Rawai:

Pizzaria Restorante

Excellent Italian food, fantastic pizzas, not expensive, just on the beach road.

Name Unknown...

The stone chairs/tables that are right on the beach road in rawai, sorry cant remember the name of the palce, great seafood/thai food, inexpensive and a nice setting (as long as you dont mind stone chairs!)

Kata:

Anchor bar & Resturant

English pub/resturant, good food, inexpensive, good portions but presentation lacks sometimes, opposite "Lucky's" guest house, near the kata pharmacy

Kwong Shop,

Great seafood place, not expensive, the guy who runs the place is a right laugh, Thai food mainly, near Kata pharmacy.

Right.. thats all i can think of right now... i might add some more as i remember... any of you ex-pats feel like shareing your favorite eateries?

Well there's the Green Man of course

Great food and cheap.

All the restaurants along chalong bay - go past the crap zoo and either go straight on to or turn left for about 5 more. All good.

Kan eng 2 and next door Da Nang.

Isaan Baan suan on viset road is a good 'un.

Nakitas bar next to Salaloy seafood (the one you couldn't remember) gets decent grub from the restaurant next door.

All the rest I know you've taken up.

I'll have a think.

What about bars?

Well here are some of my favourites:

Don's Cafe in Rawai

jimmy's lighthouse in Chalong

Family Restaurant in Chalong

Tip Top / Andre in Patong

Food court at Big C

Japanese Restaurant in Big C - cant remember the name

Sam's steakhouse at the holiday inn

Victor's in Patong

Italian restaurant near Robinson - forgot the name but you need a reservation

Big C Food Court
yep - that's always a winner with me, where else can you get a quick bit of duck and rice for 30 baht?

Yacht Haven Restaurant, up in the yacht haven obviously - great food, great bar, open dining on the deck overlooking the marina. Call SEAL for details I think their number is 076 340406, definitely somewhere to take friends from out of town to impress - but take a driver so you can enjoy the drinks.

Pan Yaah - its on the road out of Patong along the beach, not far north of the Novotel. Open air dining, I love their crab in the shell, good Thai food.

Anywhere that does a good Eggs Benedict with REAL hollandaise sauce after a night on the liquid is also good, accompanied by strong decent coffee and a newspaper that doesnt spout sh*t

my two pence worth :o

Well there's the Green Man of course

Great food and cheap.

I agree with 50% of that quote! The food is fantastic, Sandeep does a killer curry - but it isn't cheap. :D
Japanese Restaurant in Big C - cant remember the name

Zen, agreed, food to die for, they have opened up another branch on Beach road in Patong, yet to go there.

Ta be Ta - Sushi bar on Rat U Thit Road - near Christin Massage, excellent tuna

Christin Massage - near Ta be Ta, excellent tuna :o

Funniest restaurant name: Chow King - noodle restaurant chain in Phillipines, the one I went to was next door to the Wee Win Money changers.

Funniest restaurant name: Chow King - noodle restaurant chain in Phillipines, the one I went to was next door to the Wee Win Money changers.

:D

In my home town in Perth - in the nightlife district of Northbridge I always chuckle when I stagger past

HUNG LONG - Vietnamese Beef Noodle House

:o

Is there still any lunch buffet in Hotel Metropole in Phuket Town ? It was great and very cheap...

I believe so, went there three weeks ago. Try the dim-sum lunch in the Chinese restaurant. Very good and not very expensive if you skip the beer!!

One missing in all the restaurants mentioned is Thai Naan. I know all the buses scare you off being a tourist joint, but the ala carte section is not very crowded and the food is exceeeellent. Even with a jug of Singha it is very affordable.

Happy meals..........kandt

• 2 weeks later...

Patong: The Islander is great for brit food, fish&chips, kidney pie, roast beef, good thai food too, good house wine, very good service, Quiet and relaxing location off bangla rd. moderate prices.

6 and DANG (next to each other) on the main street a few doors up from bangla. Both have exellent thai food and nice service. noisy place right on the street is the only drawback. good food and prices make it worth it though.

Karon: Karon cafe terrific steaks nice salad bar decent house wine exellent service. moderate price.

Have the posters tried Two Black Sheep on Second Road just across from Soi Paradise. Good palce for music at night, run buy Kiwi Bill a good gent who runs a good ship. No bar girls employed, welcome but not to find a man for the night!

Full menu of meateater food and real NZ Lamb and Beef. Stocks real Victoria Bitter and presents and honest pour. Careful though I almost took a Falang home untim my Sniffer detected a little Soi in the air. Good Place and Good people to chat with or watch some sports. Open 10am to 2 am. Good feed for breakfast!

If you enjoy Danish food....then try the best food in Kata....

Hotel Kata Center In.....

Very good food..... today's menues 160 Baht for ALL you can eat.

And you can watch the mega 110" TV screen while eating! :o

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Metropole buffet has two tier pricing.

And, i agree with kandt The dim sum in the Chinese resturant is very good.

Regards,

BR

yes it does - 175 baht for Thais and 225 for farang.........

On occasions I have asked to see the manager and complained in Thai to him - 175 baht was the outcome............ not the money!, the principle!

a few slighly more expensive restaurants with excellent food are...

Mon Tris Kitchen in Kata - best service and food I have ever had in Phuket!

Two Chefs in Kata - great affordable food.

Karna Sutra in Phuket Town - Indian food - very nice decor and food.

• 1 month later...

Green Man (Chalong) - Great food. Special Occ try Carte Blanche upstairs

Todai (end of Beach Rd, Patong) - Fab sushi, better than Zen, and cheaper, cute little booths for privacy, offer on wine at mo 580 for very decent bottle of red.

Islander (Bangla, Patong) - What can I say, Brit food just the way I like it :D

Palm Tree (behind Lenny's Steak house, Nanai, Patong) best brekkie 99 bht! Tea, OJ, toast, proper sausage :D All you can eat B-B-Q every friday 150 !! :wub: 99 bht special offers through low (green) season

Dubai ( Rat-U-Thit, Patong) - No 2 rest better than No1. Really great hummous and flat bread.

La Boucherie ( Sawadirak, Patong) - THE Best steak I ever tasted here! 490bht

Cooked to perfection, proper salad, and whatever pots you fancy! Yum

Pan Yaah (just past Ban Rim Paa) - great cheap Thai food, especially garlic mussles. And what a view :D

There are loads more, but there's a few of my faves :o:D

• 4 weeks later...
If you enjoy Danish food....then try the best food in Kata....

Hotel Kata Center In.....

Very good food..... today's menues 160 Baht for ALL you can eat.

And you can watch the mega 110" TV screen while eating! :D

You could also try the Danish restaurant Runde Taarn just off Soi Bangle in Soi Patong Resort, good Danish food and Thai. :o

Chalong

- Chicken and duck rice/ noodles next to SCB (Chaofa/ Phuket Town road)

- Fish N Chips (on the road towards the pier)

- Tamarind's bar (facing Chalong bay)

- La Cabana (on the road towards Rawai - left side)

Nai Harn

- Nok Yoong (somewhere in the bendy Nai Harn Road)

- Oasis BBQ chicken (before Soi Cokmakham)

Phuket Town

- Natural Restaurant

- Da Jam near Robinsons (ex-Gitano)

- La Cabane

- Phuket City Hotel lunch buffet

Anyone been to Koh Jok See in Phuket Town? I've been trying to find it for ages :o

• 2 weeks later...

Hopeless with street names so I'll resort to the the tried and trusted "from the Thai Naan" strategy.

Kama Sutra: In PPhuket town go down Ratsada Rd with the banks on the left, toward the clock circle / fountain and the Talaad Sod. Before the circle turn left. Mikes and the Kama Sutra are on your right about 50mtrs up.

Great Phad Thai:

Restaurant used to be at the entrance to the Anuphas estate. Moved last year to opposite the Katu school, by the pedestrian overpass near the Bungy jump.

Great Pizza:

Pizzaman Pizza. Used to be in the Tango bar near the Aliance Francais in Town but now moved around the corner to opposite the Kajonket school. Great pork red curry and chicken green curry flavoured pizza - I'm not kidding - they are the proverbial dogs b***cks. Their other food is also great and all at Thai prices. The guy used to be a cook at The Meridien.

Mimi's : Pumpkin soup. mmmmmn.

RIP Don's chicken in mango.

Restaurant on the left, half way between Chalong Circle and the pier. Just after The Siam Real Estate and the deep sea fishing building. Part of the Parlai family. Good prices, big portions, tasty (try the fish in pepper sauce). Cheap beer, too.

LP :o