Is Pantip Plaza still an IT centre?

DONHUAN

I think it is a major upgrade and soon Pantip will be back in its glory days.

I think Panthip's 'glory days' are long gone now that almost everyone nowadays, seems a whole lot more internet savvy; more so P2P savvy, so even a backpacker just passing through, has access to P2P sites/fast internet for their music, film or TV show needs as well as sites like Amazon/eBay getting their act together in recent years, as regards to getting deliveries to Thailand.

I shudder with horror at times when I think how much I used to blow on my monthly visits to Panthip (and at how much nagging I would get from the missus) especially when we lived upcountry on a poor internet connection, in the meantime from those days to now, I, as so do many others, have now got several HDDs chock full of my favourite shows/films/music and so on, no need to buy their often second rate rip off crap from Panthip.

I think virtually every trip back to BKK would see me returning discs to Panthip which either wouldn't play, were just damaged, blank or even the wrong content, so in a way they shot themselves in the foot by making a song and dance about replacing substandard rubbish to the extent that I began to research more in the the world of P2P and Amazon.

When I had got the entire X Files/ Fawlty Towers/Blackadder/Carry On series for free, without a jump, stammer, skip, freeze or blip, I didn't look back and quite have quite enjoyed spending the silly amounts of brass I used to put aside for my entertainment needs on other, more deserving, useful things. Before our recent move the wife worked out the amount I spent on discs which had lain untouched for years and it wasn't pretty reading either....I couldn't even give them away....

I think it is a major upgrade and soon Pantip will be back in its glory days.

I think Panthip's 'glory days' are long gone now that almost everyone nowadays, seems a whole lot more internet savvy; more so P2P savvy, so even a backpacker just passing through, has access to P2P sites/fast internet for their music, film or TV show needs as well as sites like Amazon/eBay getting their act together in recent years, as regards to getting deliveries to Thailand.

I shudder with horror at times when I think how much I used to blow on my monthly visits to Panthip (and at how much nagging I would get from the missus) especially when we lived upcountry on a poor internet connection, in the meantime from those days to now, I, as so do many others, have now got several HDDs chock full of my favourite shows/films/music and so on, no need to buy their often second rate rip off crap from Panthip.

I think virtually every trip back to BKK would see me returning discs to Panthip which either wouldn't play, were just damaged, blank or even the wrong content, so in a way they shot themselves in the foot by making a song and dance about replacing substandard rubbish to the extent that I began to research more in the the world of P2P and Amazon.

When I had got the entire X Files/ Fawlty Towers/Blackadder/Carry On series for free, without a jump, stammer, skip, freeze or blip, I didn't look back and quite have quite enjoyed spending the silly amounts of brass I used to put aside for my entertainment needs on other, more deserving, useful things. Before our recent move the wife worked out the amount I spent on discs which had lain untouched for years and it wasn't pretty reading either....I couldn't even give them away....

Nice and very true post. I have also bought well over 1,000 DVD over the years, some of which I still haven't watched. Silly idea to have a Movie collection. Now it is download - Watch - Delete.

Another observation. My first laptop with a 500 MB HDD was $7,000. Now you can get a nice laptop with a 1 TB HDD for under $700. That is a 20,000 fold reduction in price.

Edited by ExpatOilWorker