Burmese man denies molestation charge in Silom Songkran incident

webfact

Burmese man denies molestation charge in Silom Songkran incident

burm.jpg
Image: Thairath

BANGKOK: -- A Burmese labourer faces jail time after a Thai teenager claims he grabbed her in the crotch while celebrating Songkran in Silom Wednesday.

The man denies everything, Thairath report.

Police on patrol in the area of a delartment store in Bang Rak were alerted to the incident by a security guard. An 18 year old, referred to as "Ae" said that in a heaving crowd she felt a hand on her private parts.

She whispered to her sister who grabbed the backpack of the man they thought responsible before shouting for assistance. Police arrested a man identified as Sema, 23, a construction worker from Myanmar living in the Pratunam area of Bangkok.

Sema told Thung Mahamek police that he had been drinking beer before getting in a tuk-tuk to go and celebrate Songkran in the Silom area.

"I was just walking along when someone grabbed my backpack and started shouting at me. I had no idea what it was about," he said. He dies being involved in the incident.

Police charged him with molestation and intimidation offences on a person over 15. The maximum fine is ten years in jail or a 20,000 baht fine, or both.

Source: Thairath

tvn.png
-- 2016-04-14

who grabbed the backpack of the man they thought responsible before shouting for assistance

"Thought responsible" - doesn't sound like they were certain, yet the possibly innocent guy is charged with molestation and intimidation offences, and threatened with a maximum fine is ten years in jail or a 20,000 baht fine, or both...

Edit: typo

Edited by jamesbrock

who grabbed the backpack of the man they thought responsible before shouting for assistance

"Thought responsible' - doesn't sound like the were certain, yet the possibly innocent guy is charged with molestation and intimidation offences, and threatened with a maximum fine is ten years in jail or a 20,000 baht fine, or both...

He's guilty! He will never win a case like this. And will be sent to prison and fined for longer and more money than if a Thai killed someone with their car.

"Thought responsible' - doesn't sound like the were certain, yet the possibly innocent guy is charged with molestation and intimidation offences, and threatened with a maximum fine is ten years in jail or a 20,000 baht fine, or both...

He's guilty! He will never win a case like this. And will be sent to prison and fined for longer and more money than if a Thai killed someone with their car.

Yes, well, I didn't want to pull out the predictable "in all cases of a Thai's word against a foreigner's word, the foreigner will invariably always lose" - but this appears to be another of those cases... coffee1.gif

Yes, well, I didn't want to pull out the predictable "in all cases of a Thai's word against a foreigner's word, the foreigner will invariably always lose" - but this appears to be another of those cases... coffee1.gif

A Burmese girl here was convicted on the evidence of a man with dementia. He couldn't remember his own offspring.

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

Yes, well, I didn't want to pull out the predictable "in all cases of a Thai's word against a foreigner's word, the foreigner will invariably always lose" - but this appears to be another of those cases...

Although you "didn't want to pull out the predictable" you did, predictably.

He hasn't "lost" anything yet.

Yes, well, I didn't want to pull out the predictable "in all cases of a Thai's word against a foreigner's word, the foreigner will invariably always lose" - but this appears to be another of those cases...

Although you "didn't want to pull out the predictable" you did, predictably.

He hasn't "lost" anything yet.

Well, he has lost something....his freedom....on the basis of a "maybe" by someone. Any credible jurisdiction needs more than a "maybe" or "I THINK it was him" for any charges to be laid, particularly in the context of his denials: it's classic she said/he said. But no surprises here: the poor immigrant worker losese on "word" alone. Edited by Prbkk

"Thought responsible" - doesn't sound like they were certain, yet the possibly innocent guy is charged with molestation and intimidation offences, and threatened with a maximum fine is ten years in jail or a 20,000 baht fine, or both...

He's Burmese, what more evidence do they need?

You beat me to it.

Wot a surprise, he's handcuffed, if it woz a Thai he would be sitting there with a plate of Somtam in his hands. Anyway it doesn't matter he will still be found guilty before he faces the corrupt judge.

Edited by Sooo Upto Me

i had someone turn around on me in a bar/club once back in the usa and make a similar accusation, but it was either someone elses hand or made up. i dont know which.

fact is in a crowd you cant be certain who did it unless you see it. some of these pervs are real good at reaching around and making it look like its someone else so they dont get caught.

i had someone turn around on me in a bar/club once back in the usa and make a similar accusation, but it was either someone elses hand or made up. i dont know which.

fact is in a crowd you cant be certain who did it unless you see it. some of these pervs are real good at reaching around and making it look like its someone else so they dont get caught.

Was it an attractive man at least?

He's Burmese, what more evidence do they need?

Yes, and it is quite funny. If Myanmar decided to turn off the natural gas 'tap' that provides most of Thailand's electricity then the entire country would be frakked. As Myanmar recovers from decades of suppression, then Thailand may just have to alter how it see's it's neighbours, and certainly how it treats them.